i30 Owners Club

100,000 km Major Service - To Waterpump or not to Waterpump?

Ash · 17 · 7872

Offline Ash

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Hi guys, long time reader but infrequent poster.

I bought my i30 at 40,000 kms and have since enjoyed another 60,000 kms of faultless duty (bar that rubber bush in the steering column). It's now time for a cambelt change on my beloved late 2009 2.0L petrol automatic.

The local Hyuandai dealership does the $1250 deal: cambelt, spark plugs, engine oil/filter, auto transmission oil, air filter, engine coolant.

My local mobile mechanic for $1750:                       cambelt, spark plugs, engine oil/filter, auto transmission oil, air filter, engine coolant AND water pump, fuel filter, fan belts.

I rang the Hyuandai boys and the senior mechanic said they don't bother replacing the waterpump unless there is a problem with it, and my current one shows no signs of leaking
or whatever, however he did say it costs about $700 to replace.

I have made the decision to throw another 100,000 kms on this car as I love it so much, and I don't have the cash for an upgrade. But I really do love the car as it is so smooth and comfortable to drive, it has fixed point roof racks which came in handy when I moved house last month and she is a good tower. Also, the rear seats fold flat allowing me to sleep in the back with a foam mattress. This car does it all!

My questions:

Do those prices seem competitive?
Anyone had a water pump fail/wear out?
Does it sound wise to replace the pump now while I'm having all that other work done?

Thanks
Ash
  • 2009 i30 2l 5 door hatch

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Anyone had a water pump fail/wear out?
Does it sound wise to replace the pump now while I'm having all that other work done?

I had my coolant pump fail at just shy of 160'000km, so while it may have a few more miles left in its lifetime, I would replace it.

If you replace the belt, the chances are strong that the new belt (after being tightened to spec) could put some extra pressure on the seal causing it to leak. This is what happened to me. Hyundai Port Elizabeth tensioned my belt as it was whining a little bit when the AC was on and the car temp was cool. Not long after, the pump packed up while I was out of town and I had to limp it back.

They replaced it under the third-party warranty I signed up for when I bought it and had to obviously replace the coolant while they did the job - so I am happy with the way they handled it as the pump was most likely on it's way out.
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that info Phil!

Hi Ash, I was about to say I'd probably leave the pump (if it ain't broke don't fix it) but after what Phil said...  :Dunno:

If you have the time and inclination you could shop online or at your local Auto accessory places for parts and oils on special then just pay labour which could save you hundreds in a job with that many "parts"

For example, I believe Supercheap have an online sale of 25% off on orders over $100 until 7pm Wednesday 16th May. :cool:

Some of our tech heads will hopefully be along shortly with more concrete advice.  :goodjob:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ash

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Thanks for that guys. Sounds like I'd better stump up with some serious cash.
I'll check out Repco Dazzler.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

$1750  :crazy1:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
GATES TCK284A $120

or

:link: Genuine Kia Valve Timing Belt Part 24312 23400 - Cerato LD | eBay

$118

25100-23530 or 25100-23022 $93

28113 2H000 Air Filter $25

:link: Genuine Hyundai Elantra (2006-11) i30 FD (07-12) Kia Cerato TD(10-13) Air Filter | eBay

:link: Great deals from Au Automobile Parts on i30 | eBay Stores

TENSIONER ASSY-VLV TIMING BELT Part 24410 23050

$86

IDLER ASSY-TIMING BELT Part 24810 23050 $33

oil filter 26300 35503 $15

PETROL FUEL FILTER
31910 2H000 $50

21421-23020 $15

22144-3B001 cam seals $15

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If this was my vehicle, with the water pump external and separate from the timing belt I'd leave it.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline Ash

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
That's right  tw2005, I've had another quote for $1899. It's insane

I've got a bit of anxiety that the belt is going to poop itself on me, but I'll keep shopping around for a better deal. Otherwise I'll follow
your links and buy it all myself then find a mechanic to install it all.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I've got a bit of anxiety that the belt is going to poop itself on me, but I'll keep shopping around for a better deal. Otherwise I'll follow
priority would be the timing belt service, replacing all those components and seals is best practice especially if you way up the labour expense, do it once do the lot. seals are 9 years old

I'd go OEM . whislt a GATES belt is not an issue some of these kits can have cheap seals and bearings. the tensioner is a critical part.
Timing belt failure ultimately destroys interference engines when vales and pistons meet.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you use those part numbers that Gerard has very kindly located and shop around it will be interesting to see how much you can reduce the total by. If you could get it down under $1500 total including the water pump that would certainly make it a worthwhile exercise.

The other benefit is you will pretty much know that OEM parts have been used which would not have been a certainty if they were sourced by the repairer (who might source lesser products to maximise profit)  :undecided:

Offline Ash

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Just a follow up guys. After many quotes and a lot of calling around, I went to my local garage that is under new ownership and got an ok deal.

For $1600 I got:

-New cam belt and tensioner kit.
-New waterpump.
-Oil/filter change.
-Coolant flush/change.
-Auto oil change.
-Fuel filter change.
-Cabin air filter change.
-Fan belts replaced.
-New spark plugs.
-New brake fluid.
-Lubricating various stuff/air freshener/tyre polish/lubricating swivel in key lol

So I did pay a premium compared to sourcing my own parts, but I couldn't find a mechanic who would let me.

The highest quote was $2000, no one was cheaper bar Hyundai who do the bare minimum for $1250. I'm not even sure if they replace the cam belt tensioners.

So I guess I'm happy, and I do love my car and have decided to own it until the very end, so I'm hoping I'm set for some time to come.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Got some bad news, tyres are bald. About the only consumable not replaced :rofl:

Anyway, you did your best and should be good for ages :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for getting back to us.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Did you have a good look after to confirm the parts have been replaced with new as listed.  As far as you can see? Or did you witness some of the work being done.  :cool:

Offline Ash

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Oh yes, each part that came in a box, the old part was placed in that box on removal. Each part that came in a bag, he placed the old part in that bag on removal.

He even measured the old spark plug clearance in front of me and was surprised the engine was running as smooth as it was given how out of whack the gaps were.

I could hear that the bearings in the water pump and cam belt tensioner were noticeably squeaky, and the fan belts were buggered. The original cam belt looked like new and appeared to have heaps of life left in it.

He was a pretty OCD type of guy, even showed me the purchase orders and tax invoices for the parts. Short of seeing him do the job, I'm as happy as I can be for a guy who is $1600 poorer, but he seemed like a soul mechanic...he practically lives at his shop and will talk to you about your car for as long as you will let him.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Oh yes, each part that came in a box, the old part was placed in that box on removal. Each part that came in a bag, he placed the old part in that bag on removal.

He even measured the old spark plug clearance in front of me and was surprised the engine was running as smooth as it was given how out of whack the gaps were.

I could hear that the bearings in the water pump and cam belt tensioner were noticeably squeaky, and the fan belts were buggered. The original cam belt looked like new and appeared to have heaps of life left in it.

He was a pretty OCD type of guy, even showed me the purchase orders and tax invoices for the parts. Short of seeing him do the job, I'm as happy as I can be for a guy who is $1600 poorer, but he seemed like a soul mechanic...he practically lives at his shop and will talk to you about your car for as long as you will let him.
Sounds like a keeper. Hard to find the  honest ones these days :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid: Just what I wanted to hear.  :goodjob:

Give it a couple of weeks to make sure everything is working as it should then if you get  a chance give him a good wrap in our "Back of the net" section. He's not a dealer but still deserves a plug.  :goodjob:

:link: BACK OF THE NET (PRAISE YOUR DEALER)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal