i30 Owners Club

Turbo noise

Offline jonathan98

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Copenhagen
Hello. I´ve got a 2008 1.6crdi 116hp i30.

My problem is a whining noise from the turbo, it has been there since i bought it 2,5 years ago, but its beginning to get a lot worse.
I´m a mechanic apprentice but don´t have a lot of knowledge about turbos yet. So my question is: Is there anything i can do besides replacing the turbo?

Here´s a video link where you can hear the sound

:link: video-1555178885 - Streamable

Best regards Jonathan
  • i30 2008 1.6crdi 116hp

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Jonathon,

From 11 years on here, I would say the turbo is definitely on its way out. The fact it has been noisy for that long and is still working suggests you do not abuse your car.  :goodjob:

Unfortunately there is not much if anything you can do to reduce the noise or prolong the turbo other than replacement.

Usually the a turbo failure in the diesel doesn't cause other damage, just a sudden loss of top end power (don't sue me/us if I'm wrong) so I'd just keep driving it until it dies, before replacing it.

The good news is they aren't one of the dearer parts to replace (i'll let others suggest the best sources*) especially when you obviously have access to a workshop, tools and support to help.  :Good_luck:

* Oh what the heck, I imagine a second hand one from a low mileage wreck (with some warranty) will be your best (cheapest) option. Maybe only a few hundred versus closer to a grand for a new one?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hello. I´ve got a 2008 1.6crdi 116hp i30.

My problem is a whining noise from the turbo, it has been there since i bought it 2,5 years ago, but its beginning to get a lot worse.
I´m a mechanic apprentice but don´t have a lot of knowledge about turbos yet. So my question is: Is there anything i can do besides replacing the turbo?

Here´s a video link where you can hear the sound

:link: video-1555178885 - Streamable

Best regards Jonathan
Don't know much about them either except if it's getting a lot louder then it's sending you a warning I presume

Check the basics I guess like hoses are good and also clamped. I've had the inlet pipes loose.

If the turbo is going, I would say new turbo, good used one or a turbo cartridge are the options.

I have one in bits that failed but I did not have the car prior so not sure what racket it was making.

I was considering rebuilding it but still expensive. I've seen Garrett bearing kits, I've seen cheap bearing kits too, and turbine shafts, compressor blades, vanes etc.

But no knowledge on rebuilding or if  balancing on replacement of parts is needed  or if  they are pre-balanced , all answers I don't have .

When this one went it sheared the shaft, oil dumped straight into th exhaust sytem, lucky it did not self fuel or seize. The bearing is badly worn out on one side The variable vanes also were damaged otherwise I'd invest in a cartridge. Someone here suggested Melett in the UK and they rebuilt theirs. That's all I know (basically very litttle :confused:)

How's the oil change history on this? I've got one car with over 233000k on original turbo still, no noise yet.

@CraigB  @nzenigma thoughts?

:link: Hyundai Kia 740611-1 740611-2 GT1544V Turbo cartridge GT15-252

:link: Turbo whistling, I am going to fit a new cartridge.

@rcflyers  may not be active anymore but would be handy if he had a listen to your clip since he's had hands on experience with turbo noise @ 135000 Km

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
An example of a turbo failure self fuelling with oil although there is an air flap that chokes the engine when turned off so may not be an issue

:link: epic diesel engine fail - YouTube

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I have little to add, except that after hearing the vid I would be checking for air/gas leaks from pipes attached to the turbo. Again, the good old hose stethoscope  :cool: while someone revs the car for you.

Unfortunately, its 90% on the side of it coming from a bearing in the turbo. Not a common problem it seems , so get one off a low kms wreck.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Mine made that noise, I fitted a new Melett turbo cartridge and then it still made pretty much the same noise!
In the last 4 years since fitting the cartridge it has performed fine and does not use any oil.
My advice is to keep driving it but keep a close eye on your engine oil level, just in case.
  • Getz i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Mine made that noise, I fitted a new Melett turbo cartridge and then it still made pretty much the same noise!
In the last 4 years since fitting the cartridge it has performed fine and does not use any oil.
My advice is to keep driving it but keep a close eye on your engine oil level, just in case.
So what are you saying? It did not need a new turbo?  This is what you said after install, "the car no longer sounds like a police car"  :confused:

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
It did not need a turbo, initially it was quiet but then the noise re-appeared.
Car performs well so I just left it and 4 years on still working 100%
  • Getz i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Unfortunate, Personally I think that noise is loud, I certainly have none of mine that obvious but where to from here?

Thanks for the input :goodjob2:

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Unfortunate, Personally I think that noise is loud, I certainly have none of mine that obvious but where to from here?

Thanks for the input :goodjob2:

I quite like the noise, hope my two turbos up the tempo somewhat now that they have taken my blow off valve away.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline jonathan98

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Copenhagen
It actually missed some oil changes 3-4 years ago. That could easily be the reason

I´ll try to see if i can get a cheap, low mileage one i think.
  • i30 2008 1.6crdi 116hp

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal