i30 Owners Club

2017 i30sr starting problem

Liisa · 322 · 99682

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Dazzler, back in those days I was working at Victoria's No 1 dealer, I  had 9 tech's and myself as foreman and it was extremely busy with at least 40 jobs a day and one day we did 62. The problems with the Grandeur XG though were serious and needed immediate action. In the end it was a simple fix that in most cases didn't even require parts. Unfortunately the starting issue with the 1.6t would be a very time consuming diagnosis with a short fault window.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Flower

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Dazzler, just an update for you.  The ECU was replaced following this incident where the car would not start, but unfortunately, this did not solve the starting issues.  They asked for the car back and went over all of the electrics and wiring and the only fault they found was the battery was not holding its charge as it should and that was replaced.   The problem remained and to cut a long story short they took the car back and this time replaced the injectors (and kept it for a couple of weeks to ensure the issue had gone) and seems to be SOLVED!!! have had no issues since. 

Hyundai was really good, they kept asking for the car back until the problem was solved. 

Also was given great loan cars, had a Kona turbo 4wd, and a Tuscon turbo 4wd and I can say they are both great cars.
  • 2018 PD i30 1.6 Turbo Limited Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Dazzler, just an update for you.  The ECU was replaced following this incident where the car would not start, but unfortunately, this did not solve the starting issues.  They asked for the car back and went over all of the electrics and wiring and the only fault they found was the battery was not holding its charge as it should and that was replaced.   The problem remained and to cut a long story short they took the car back and this time replaced the injectors (and kept it for a couple of weeks to ensure the issue had gone) and seems to be SOLVED!!! have had no issues since. 

Hyundai was really good, they kept asking for the car back until the problem was solved. 

Also was given great loan cars, had a Kona turbo 4wd, and a Tuscon turbo 4wd and I can say they are both great cars.

Awesome! That's great to hear. That is how every dealer should have handled it! Would have saved a lot of angst for some of our members. As you may have read on here a couple of our members had positive experiences like yours but many others had to fight or push for decent support and I get the impression some are still not fully resolved to this day.  :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Awesome! That's great to hear. That is how every dealer should have handled it!

:goodjob2:   Just the normal service in New Zealand.  :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Awesome! That's great to hear. That is how every dealer should have handled it!

:goodjob2:   Just the normal service in New Zealand.  :whistler:

I wonder if they go above and beyond with massages too?  :workitout:

Dazz starts planning an NZ holiday (actually thinking about one later in the year)  :happyjumper:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Yes mate, Make a call in Auckland to any institution, tell them that their most experienced  fa'afafine has been highly recommended. You will be amazed.

:goodjob:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes mate, Make a call in Auckland to any institution, tell them that their most experienced  fa'afafine has been highly recommended. You will be amazed.

:goodjob:
I just googled that. I am a bit sus about having a massage by a person with larger wedding tackle than mine!  :eek:

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
I had my 30k service over the weekend and supposedly a software update was installed which is supposed to fix the issue.

It did not.

The car is going back in in a few weeks for an indefinite period so they can try to replicate and fix.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had my 30k service over the weekend and supposedly a software update was installed which is supposed to fix the issue.

It did not.

The car is going back in in a few weeks for an indefinite period so they can try to replicate and fix.

Next step is new injectors.  :undecided:

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I do hope that Hyundai have found a solution to the starting issues..... there must be plenty of examples out there by now!.. It does seem that Hyundai and the dealers are caught in a continual loop of software upgrade, test, fuel injectors, battery issues and scratching heads.

My i30SR issues were never fully resolved ....one issue led to another, which then led to another...which ultimately led to a full refund in January.

My dealership (Alto) we good only once i got the service manager and general manager onboard...persistence is the key. The original sales guy was hopeless!
  • Formerly a 2018 PD2 SR DCT, White (Lemon)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I do hope that Hyundai have found a solution to the starting issues..... there must be plenty of examples out there by now!.. It does seem that Hyundai and the dealers are caught in a continual loop of software upgrade, test, fuel injectors, battery issues and scratching heads.

My i30SR issues were never fully resolved ....one issue led to another, which then led to another...which ultimately led to a full refund in January.

My dealership (Alto) we good only once i got the service manager and general manager onboard...persistence is the key. The original sales guy was hopeless!

Thanks BB appreciate you sharing your feedback.

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
My car is back in with the dealership today. They haven't been able to replicate the fault so the car is staying with them at least another day.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My car is back in with the dealership today. They haven't been able to replicate the fault so the car is staying with them at least another day.

Good luck with it! So frustrating. They need to try harder to replicate the problem scenario.  :disapp:

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Three days. Unable to replicate fault. Keeping it another day to run scans on the electrics. No doubt I will get it back without anything being done, and I will get the fault within a day or so.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

They play their shitty little game over and over again.

Frankly, my skin crawls every time I have to walk into a HY dealership.

:kissmyass:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They play their shitty little game over and over again.

Frankly, my skin crawls every time I have to walk into a HY dealership.

:kissmyass:

There are some good ones around but they are the exception rather than the rule it appears.  :cool:

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
No faults found. Picking car up today. Basically it's my word against theirs. They will follow up with Hyundai Australia but I see this being a long drawn out process.

Offline jcards

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Have recently begun experiencing the same issue with my 2017 PD SR Premium. Car has recently ticked over in to the 25,000 KMS range and after last service in February the car started experiencing the issue described by many here - honestly I think that is somewhat coincidental. I would say 50% or more warm starts are rough or failed and it is somewhat degenerative, in that it has gotten worse with time.

Worried about having to take the car back and forth to dealers to replicate I went to Head Office and flagged the issues. Safe to say the response I got was pointless. The person I spoke with sent me a reply days after I called telling me to go to the dealer (Essendon Hyundai) and ask for a refund / compensation. The response was completely unexpected and not helpful at all.

I asked the person I spoke to to explain how so many people could be experiencing the same issue - linked them here. No answer. So unfortunately does not seem like Head Office are particularly interested in helping out. 

• i30 PD SR Premium 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

. The person I spoke with sent me a reply days after I called telling me to go to the dealer (Essendon Hyundai) and ask for a refund / compensation. The response was completely unexpected and not helpful at all.

Not helpful but handy to have in writing to negotiate with a dealer for a fix!

I'm very frustrated with my warm start issue. I have it it in writing that head office recommend I ask for a refund or compensation.  Now lend me something nice and get it sorted please!

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Dazzler, are you having the problem now too? I thought you didn't have the issue?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Dazzler, are you having the problem now too? I thought you didn't have the issue?

I think Dazz is giving a clue as to the best way to approach this with the dealer :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think Dazz is giving a clue as to the best way to approach this with the dealer :D

:whsaid: Mine is still running perfectly at 56,000 kilometres!

Offline Flower

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, New Zealand
Mine has been perfect since the injectors were replaced in February.
  • 2018 PD i30 1.6 Turbo Limited Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine has been perfect since the injectors were replaced in February.

Great to hear!  :victory:

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Injectors now replaced. Hopefully that resolves the issue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob2: keep us posted please.  :fingers:

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Hyundai asked for injector serial numbers so definitely sounds like there are a bad batch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hyundai asked for injector serial numbers so definitely sounds like there are a bad batch

Cheers, that is interesting. :goodjob:

Offline alexy

• 2nd Gear

• sk Slovakia
      Slovakia
Hi.  :)

If there is some part number / batch number can You post it here?  Just to compare if there is some relation to mine symptoms.

Thank You.
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Wagon, Petrol 1.4lt T-GDi, Manual, Red

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal