i30 Owners Club

rotten egg smell from exhaust

Offline exadus23

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
i have a 2016 i30 active x

for months now every so often the car smells like rotten egg gas. my first thought was the cat is on its way out but i heard there may be an update to the ECU to fix the problem.

has anyone else got this problem??
has anyone else heard about any ECU update regarding this problem??

thanks
  • 2016 hyundai i30 active x

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome.  Is it petrol or diesel?  Our 1st i30 (a diesel) used to get a bit on the nose in some situations.  Can't recall this particular issue being mentioned much if at all on here. Hopefully you're right and there is an ecu update.  :Good_luck:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day exadus23,
Have a 09/16 Active X , sometimes there is a smell out of the pipe. Think it's more of a e10 stink.
Varies from none to whoa ! .
Try normal unleaded for a while and compare.
A battery will smell like that if low on water, but, you should be having other trouble by now.

Keep us updated.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Pippa

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland Australia
I have a 2017 i30 SR premium with a couple of major isdues and this is the lesser of them. Today the service manager at my dealership told me it’s normal.  The reasons they gave me are many - none of which I am happy to accept.  An example is that I ‘only drive short trips’ which in my view ridiculous.   I am going to give them one more opportunity to come up with a solution before I take it up with Hyundai themselves. Has anyone else had an issue like this with the same model ?
  • Hyundai i30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have a 2017 i30 SR premium with a couple of major isdues and this is the lesser of them. Today the service manager at my dealership told me it’s normal.  The reasons they gave me are many - none of which I am happy to accept.  An example is that I ‘only drive short trips’ which in my view ridiculous.   I am going to give them one more opportunity to come up with a solution before I take it up with Hyundai themselves. Has anyone else had an issue like this with the same model ?

Welcome Pippa.  I've used a variety of fuels in my Sr. Mostly E10 , but a few tanks of unleaded 91 as well without any smell issues. Some weeks I do mainly short trips but generally not.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal