i30 Owners Club

battery dead

Offline jamos316

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Varberg
hi there!

literally just now just went out to my car, first car remote lock didnt function so opened with key then found that motor didnt start along with any lights in the car. i checked the ight position and it was set to off, what else in the car can drain the battery when idle? i went out in the car only 2 days ago and all was fine.
i have just purchased the car 2nd hand from a hyundai dealership 2 months ago, they gave me a 3 year guarantee on the car so at least if it is a faulty battery they will change it free of charge.

i think if i dont get any magic solution to fix it here i will call the dealership up tomorrow and say they will have to either rapair onsite/jump start or come with a tow truck.
funny thing is the car is in for service in 2 days :)

thanks for reading
james
  • i30 cw 1.6 CRDi Diesel 2009/2010

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If any of the interior lights have been on for 2 days it can drain the battery. Don't you have an neighbour to help jumpstart the car so you can get the battery up and running again..?

BTW, you can leave the lights turned on any time. this car is made so the lights will turn off when you remove the key and open the door. Only way it doesn't work is if you turn on the lights again afterwards...  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
That is bad luck! I had a good run eith the battery on my two FD i30 CRDi's 96k three year with one 60k two year with the other same batterys. But depending on model can have lot of things being powered shile parked. Vget a C-Tec tennder!!

Offline jamos316

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Varberg
If any of the interior lights have been on for 2 days it can drain the battery. Don't you have an neighbour to help jumpstart the car so you can get the battery up and running again..?

BTW, you can leave the lights turned on any time. this car is made so the lights will turn off when you remove the key and open the door. Only way it doesn't work is if you turn on the lights again afterwards...  :mrgreen:

interior lights? is that the door lights? they were set to door, im pretty sure all doors were closed correctly so this cant be the issue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi James, One of the most common ways for the battery to go flat like that is if the tailgate  hasn't quite been latched properly. Sometimes it can look shut but isn't. If you get out of the car and shut the doors then get something out of the back and don't get back in the car you don't see the open door warning on the dash. The inside and or boot light stays on and flattens the battery. Because the selling dealer has no control of how you treat your battery with regards to things like leaving lights on, any warranty on that will be limited.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jamos316

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Varberg
That is bad luck! I had a good run eith the battery on my two FD i30 CRDi's 96k three year with one 60k two year with the other same batterys. But depending on model can have lot of things being powered shile parked. Vget a C-Tec tennder!!

its a i30 cw 2010 diesel model. what things should i look out for that should be switched off before i leave the car?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

its a i30 cw 2010 diesel model. what things should i look out for that should be switched off before i leave the car?

Nothing. It's all killed when you leave the car if working as supposed....  :mrgreen: ... but take a look into the cabin and make sure the interior/door lights turn off after 10-20 seconds
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If the tailgate isn't closed as Dazzler say, the light in the boot will stay lit. Check that also when locking the car. It could off course be a defect switch in any of the doors....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Having said all that,  I have twice left an interior light on. Once a cabin light and once the boot light. In one case the light was on for 18 hours and then car still started.
It's been my experience that a healthy battery will take a pretty long time to lose enough power to not start the car. Make sure someone does a proper check on the battery. It might simply have decided at 7 years of age it's time to die.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm sure there's a thread in the club regarding the MDPS not powering down correctly on the 2008-2010 models, causing severe battery drainage?

Anyone recall that?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Besides lights and boot do you have any accesories in the power/cig holder?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm sure there's a thread in the club regarding the MDPS not powering down correctly on the 2008-2010 models, causing severe battery drainage?

Anyone recall that?

Yes, come to think of it I do..  :goodjob:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Had you left the key in the ignition for those 2 days that the car wasn't driven. Turned 'on' it will obviously drain the battery but even if turned 'off' operates some of the interior dash lights and will drain too.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From memory don't the turn signals flash twice when you lock your car and all is well, and only once if something is amiss?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline jamos316

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Varberg
Besides lights and boot do you have any accesories in the power/cig holder?

I do have USB charger cable and line out/aux lead for my phone but that powers off with the ignition right?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:35:26 by jamos316 »

Offline jamos316

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Varberg
UPDATE

I have now got my car back from the dealerships service center, they had the car for 2 days.
They replaced the battery which indicates it was a general fault in the battery.
Was covered on the warranty so was happy :-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You did well. Thanks for the update.  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal