i30 Owners Club

2010 i30 estate door wont open

Offline stevegos

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      lincolnshire
hi all used the car on tuesday last week went to go out on friday and passenger front door wont unlock or open the lock button moves slightly when trying to unlock but doesnt ,,,any ideas please thanks in advance
  • i30 premium 1.6 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
hi all used the car on tuesday last week went to go out on friday and passenger front door wont unlock or open the lock button moves slightly when trying to unlock but doesnt ,,,any ideas please thanks in advance
generally when this has happened to me it has reulted in me replacing the entire lock assembly . Can it be moved inside manually to unlock?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
How is your battery voltage?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline stevegos

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      lincolnshire

had new battery around 2 months ago so should be good
  • i30 premium 1.6 crdi

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

@stevegos. You would think that the battery should be good but there are any number of reasons why it could degrade over that time. 

Presumably The Gonz has a reason for asking the question so an answer could help him help you?  Just saying...
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

@stevegos. You would think that the battery should be good but there are any number of reasons why it could degrade over that time. 

Presumably The Gonz has a reason for asking the question so an answer could help him help you?  Just saying...

Well I had rats eating wires and crapping all around the place, even under then bonnet. Possibly Gonz has the same problem.. especially down in the South.

What do you think?   :undecided:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Well I had rats eating wires and crapping all around the place, even under then bonnet. Possibly Gonz has the same problem.. especially down in the South.

What do you think?   :undecided:
I think this is yet another Hyundai plastics failure internally likely cracked workings. I'm trying to see I f I can get one open in response to the other thread with the replacement gear. Not looking good doing it cleanly, already broken a tab or too. :sweating:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Does it open manually, or is it fully stuck?

Not the best locks. Usually they stop working from the keyfob and drivers button, but the manual knob still works. Seen this happen especially in cold temps. Only way to fix is to get new locks. Tried to open one old lock, but the plastic had become so brittle that the case just broke in my hands while trying too open it.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Presumably The Gonz has a reason for asking the question so an answer could help him help you?
The few days without use and the sluggish performance of the lock could point to voltage slightly low at the lock. Material lock deterioration is by far the most likely but measuring voltage of the battery overall and more importantly at the actuator might just uncover what could be an electrical problem. After all, the system is electromechanical.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Does it open manually, or is it fully stuck?

Not the best locks. Usually they stop working from the keyfob and drivers button, but the manual knob still works. Seen this happen especially in cold temps. Only way to fix is to get new locks. Tried to open one old lock, but the plastic had become so brittle that the case just broke in my hands while trying too open it.
Same at my end, must be another global crisis

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So many great arguments for a decent 3D scanner / printer setup. :wait:

Offline Richo

• 1st Gear

• Australia, Melbourne
Hi, just had same problem with back door passenger side. Cannot get the door open using all options: key fob, inside and outside handles. There is a small response to the button from the key fob, but not unlocking at all hence the door is permanently looked.

How does this repair of replacement of actuator or cable(s) get started with the door closed? Does the door need removal.

Once the door is open I guess the panel(s) removal is reasonably straight forward by removing screws and uncapping.
  • Hyundai Hatch i30 Diesel 2010

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi, just had same problem with back door passenger side. Cannot get the door open using all options: key fob, inside and outside handles. There is a small response to the button from the key fob, but not unlocking at all hence the door is permanently looked.

How does this repair of replacement of actuator or cable(s) get started with the door closed? Does the door need removal.

Once the door is open I guess the panel(s) removal is reasonably straight forward by removing screws and uncapping.
We've had the topic come up several times, I don't know how you get out of this predicament if it's jammed closed.

So far only thread I found, they got lucky and it worked again cooled down and they got in that way.

Would be nice to know how they deal with it at the dealer level.

:link: door's been locked for more than a week now...

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

We've had the topic come up several times, I don't know how you get out of this predicament if it's jammed closed.

So far only thread I found, they got lucky and it worked again cooled down and they got in that way.

I have said get seat out of the way and take panel off. I thought the rest would be Obvious.

Get a milk crate  :crazy1:

Open front door  :crazy1:

See the bolts holding back door hinges??  :wacko:

Remove them  :crazy1:

Swing locked door outwards and rest it on MILK CRATE  :head_butt:

Now you have sufficient  room to remove or just move inner panels  :happydance:

The window has to be removed

From this point you either manually  activate the lock mech. or destroy it and replace.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I have said get seat out of the way and take panel off. I thought the rest would be Obvious.

Get a milk crate  :crazy1:

Open front door  :crazy1:

See the bolts holding back door hinges??  :wacko:

Remove them  :crazy1:

Swing locked door outwards and rest it on MILK CRATE  :head_butt:

Now you have sufficient  room to remove or just move inner panels  :happydance:

The window has to be removed

From this point you either manually  activate the lock mech. or destroy it and replace.

Right, got it.

Is this from experience or theorectical. Rear panels have a self tapper in the door jamb. Hope I never ever have to do this. :Pout:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I thought Gary's post was brilliant until I saw Gerards! (love that picture)  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Gerard always comes through  :rofl:

although in this case "Health and Safety" would be more appropriate.

To the question have I done it? yes once.
Its not a fun job and I even contemplated cutting the door open from the outside and replacing the door.

As I remember, I used a short Phillips bit in an 8mm ring spanner to remove the screw ( and / or a large cold chisel)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 00:26:10 by nzenigma »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal