i30 Owners Club

Handbrake light flashing

Offline Jamieliam1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Hi all
When driving my dad's 2011 i30 crdi the handbrake light flashes when going over bumps and the handbrake itself seems loose any ideas how to fix it
Will also be doing oil and filters tomorrow if weather is ok any tips
Thanks
  • I30 crdi comfort

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all
When driving my dad's 2011 i30 crdi the handbrake light flashes when going over bumps and the handbrake itself seems loose any ideas how to fix it
Thanks
How many clicks before the handbrake is effective? Sounds like the cable adjustment is too loose.

In the centre console bin , lift the small piece of carpet, should expose the cable and you may get an idea of it's adjustment.

The only thing that keeps the handle in place is the pre-tension on that cable, the handle only just has to lift and that light will come on.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi all
Thanks
Is the brake lever down as far as possible?

Does the lever waggle when disengaged i. e. Possible it has come free from its securing point.

Light operates from small switch which i think the lever pushes down onto to keep light off.
So check lever fully down and check to make sure no small object has slipped down under lever preventing fully down.

So as said above cables may require attention to allow lever to move correctly.

Ps
When driving does it feel as if rear brakes are binding which could indicate seized parts to parking system under car?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Jamieliam1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Lancashire
Thanks for the reply the handbrake itself is pretty loose and it's alot of clicks before it will hold the car on any sort of slope and when you take handbrake off it's very wobbly while driving along
  • I30 crdi comfort

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
tw2005 has got it covered, above :victory:

An easy check for you, seeing as it's all within the cabin and accessible.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Ooh delightful! Just love the way he wields a spanner, he should have been a gynecologist.  :KissLips:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

Ooh delightful! Just love the way he wields a spanner, he should have been a gynecologist.  :KissLips:

I thought gynecologists did all their best work up the tailpipe.  :whistler: :winker:
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

I thought gynecologists did all their best work up the tailpipe.  :whistler: :winker:

Proctologist is tailpipe. Shitty job I reckon  :winker:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Proctologist is tailpipe. Shitty job I reckon  :winker:

Either way, our Gerard is Up for the job.  :D

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal