i30 Owners Club

No childlock in front doors?

dbc · 21 · 7025

Offline dbc

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Dublin
Hello all, and apologies if this query is dealt with in another thread - I don't know how to navigate the system, being new.

My big problem is that my Hyundai i30 2017 model (it's a manual, petrol, but I doubt that makes a difference) has no way of locking the front doors to stop passengers opening the doors while in motion. 

I have an 84 year old mother who is sometimes very difficult in behaviour and this means I simply cannot carry her as a passenger, as she refuses to get into the back seat and has threatened to open the front door while traveling in it previously. She could easily knock a cyclist down doing this.

The manual states that the car doors should lock once 20 km per hour is reached. However, this only seems to apply to people not being able to open it FROM THE OUTSIDE.  I did a check with my spouse and was able to open the car door from the inside while in motion past 20 km per hour.

I have read the manual thoroughly (it is a very confusing document as applies to so many different models, but I am satisfied that I have covered everything...) and there is no mention of a child lock in the front.  I have also been up to talk to the dealer who told me that there is no way of automatically locking the front doors from the inside.   

I don't want to provoke my mother's anger by  reaching over her to lock the door manually each time (in the process drawing attention to the fact that she can unlock it by doing the reverse).

We had an automatic internal front and rear locking feature in our previous car, a BMW from about 2002, so I am perplexed as to why more modern cars do not have this very important safety feature.

Can anyone help? D
  • i30 manulal drive 2017 model

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Can’t say any of my 30 or so cars over the years have ever had child locks on the front doors :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The BMW is very much in the minority. You might need to customise the locking mechanism on your front passenger door. I wouldn't think it too difficult with a little research.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On my 2012 gd there is a door lock button on the dash below the radio which can lock the doors while stationery ....... But...... the front passenger can still open the door by pulling on the door opening handle.
Rear passengers can't open the doors.

As you say door only locked to prevent external opening.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi dbc welcome to the forum :D

I've also never heard of child locks fitted to the front; possibly something to do with manufacturers not expecting children to be seated up front? BMW are possibly the exception as they sometimes expect children to be in the front, often in the drivers seat :P

Anyway, you may want to consider adapting this idea for your mother...

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: we think alike Steve...I just wasn't going to say it :lol: :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
OK, I thought it too but not helpful. I see a legitimate need and the engineer in me speaks. :victory:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
OK, I thought it too but not helpful. I see a legitimate need and the engineer in me speaks. :victory:
Removing the latch pin from the interior door handle would do the trick, though that would mean everyone in the front passenger seat would have to wait to be let out of the vehicle.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
everyone in the front passenger seat would have to wait to be let out of the vehicle.
That sounds like it might constitute an unsafe arrangement. Maybe what locks the rear doors could be fitted to the front as well.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Folowing on from my previous comment

actually the faster a car goes the safer it would be as the force on the door would probably be more than enough to prevent the door being opened.

be lucky to open an inch at best and it would require a fair bit of physical effort for them to escape from the seat and then swing their legs around and jump out.

i suppose you can test it yourself by driving along somewhere quiet at various speeds and seeing how much force is needed to open the door.

assuming you haven't noticed the fact they've unbuckled the seat belt with all the bongs going and are messing with the handles on the door which on mine keeps auto locking unless stopped.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
OK, I thought it too but not helpful. I see a legitimate need and the engineer in me speaks

Find out which wire in the door is for the lock and splice an inline switch.... mount switch out of reach of passenger.

might be an issue in an emergency though.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Couple of good suggestions there. Certainly a tricky situation!  :crazy1: :disapp:

Found this via Google.

:link: Why don't cars have safety locks on the front doors, particularly the passenger door? - Quora
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
My first dog used to lean over and tear at the passenger seat belt whenever we passed Council workers leaning on shovels. He eventually snipped one in Half when he saw a large group of them.

I wrapped some bare wire around the next belt and connected it to an ignition coil. After that we used to have competition to see if I could reach the switch before dog severed the belt.

A Coil on the door handle may work for dbc , mother is probably not as quick as my Red Healer.  :cool:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
My first dog used to lean over and tear at the passenger seat belt whenever we passed Council workers leaning on shovels. He eventually snipped one in Half when he saw a large group of them.

I wrapped some bare wire around the next belt and connected it to an ignition coil. After that we used to have competition to see if I could reach the switch before dog severed the belt.

A Coil on the door handle may work for dbc , mother is probably not as quick as my Red Healer.  :cool:

:Shocked:  :Shocked: literally. Healers, anything to amuse themselves .   :rolleyes:
Bet Bogart doesn't need that   :D
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
If the lady is such passenger you mentioned, the only place for her is in the back. Likes it or not. If she would open the door, when she figures out she can grab the steering wheel or handbrake while being in the front?

It is hard to set limits to family members, especially if their condition is caused some illness. But you gotta draw the line somewhere.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The simple solution is to pull off the door lining and unclip the two cables from the lever and lock tab.. That way the door has to be opened from outside , she cant lock it and the auto lock at speed still works.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice work @sundiz

The most logical and best suggestion in my book.  :goodjob:

Hope @dbc  comes back to view it after Steve's Pi$$take... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Agreed. While I'd thought of it originally but dismissed it as rendering the car unsafe, I would think that the special circumstance makes it the preferred solution. Then he can tell his mum it's just broken. As for reaching for the wheel and handbrake, well ...  :confused:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Agreed. While I'd thought of it originally but dismissed it as rendering the car unsafe, I would think that the special circumstance makes it the preferred solution. Then he can tell his mum it's just broken. As for reaching for the wheel and handbrake, well ...  :confused:

:deserted: Jezz keep up sport, he's referring to MY BRILLIANCE .... thankyou   :spitty:

Unappreciated, and on the outer again  :cold:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

:deserted: Jezz keep up sport, he's referring to MY BRILLIANCE .... thankyou   :spitty:

Unappreciated, and on the outer again  :cold:
Can't blame me for wanting to bask in a little of your brilliance, mate. Well done! :victory: :lol:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Can't blame me for wanting to bask in a little of your brilliance, mate. Well done! :victory: :lol:

:agreed: Therefore, and as always, I bask  below your wisdom Gonz   :DoubleKiss:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal