i30 Owners Club

How to bleed the high pressure fuel line in 2008

Tinarse · 12 · 10029

Offline Tinarse

• 1st Gear

• Victoria
Hi all,
        I have a drama and was hoping for some guidance.

My i30 has a high pressure fuel line leak from a bent hose on top of motor(long story).
      When I replaced it I took off the fuel lines to stop fuel leaking out and was left off for a week or more. When I replaced the fuel line and the pipe, I pumped the fuel pump about 20 times and tried to start. No go repeated a couple of times still not starting.
      Any help would be awesome.
  • 2008 i30 Crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all,
        I have a drama and was hoping for some guidance.

My i30 has a high pressure fuel line leak from a bent hose on top of motor(long story).
      When I replaced it I took off the fuel lines to stop fuel leaking out and was left off for a week or more. When I replaced the fuel line and the pipe, I pumped the fuel pump about 20 times and tried to start. No go repeated a couple of times still not starting.
      Any help would be awesome.
Any pictures? The black hoses on the injectors I believe are the return lines. Anything high pressure will be the metal lines. Priming I've done once after filter replacement, can take a few goes and you can usually feel the plunger go a bit hard.

So what exactly has been disconnected, and reconnected?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
After disconnecting the fuel outlet quick-connector (A), press the priming pump (B) several times until fuel comes out of the fuel outlet.

2. Connect the fuel outlet quick-connector (A).

Offline Tinarse

• 1st Gear

• Victoria
Wow thanks for the fast response.

Was the high pressure line the silver pipe to the injector got damaged.

I tried taking the return line off the fuel filter and pumped the prime for quite a while and no fuel came out. So still no start.

Again thanks for the help.
  • 2008 i30 Crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Wow thanks for the fast response.

Was the high pressure line the silver pipe to the injector got damaged.

I tried taking the return line off the fuel filter and pumped the prime for quite a while and no fuel came out. So still no start.

Again thanks for the help.
But it says to take the outlet line off and pump, why not follow the instructions first and see what happens.

Otherwise I'm not 100% sure but there is a pump in the tank as well so if nothing is coming out with th eprimer then maybe the issue is back further.

Offline Tinarse

• 1st Gear

• Victoria
I was explaining which pipe I bent to start with.

And I did take the fuel line off as shown in your picture and press the primer also shown in your picture. And I took off the intake line from the filter and fuel was pumping out of there so fuel line to filter from tank is fine.

• 2008 i30 Crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I was explaining which pipe I bent to start with.

And I did take the fuel line off as shown in your picture and press the primer also shown in your picture. And I took off the intake line from the filter and fuel was pumping out of there so fuel line to filter from tank is fine.
So where are we at then? Fuel coming out of outlet as you prime? Nothing disconnected that you forgot? Like the glow plug power cable ?
Rather hard to help blind I'm afraid, maybe @nzenigma or @cruiserfied are better equipped

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
But it says to take the outlet line off and pump, why not follow the instructions first and see what happens.

Otherwise I'm not 100% sure but there is a pump in the tank as well so if nothing is coming out with the primer then maybe the issue is back further.

Unlike the petrol i30 in the diesel there is only a filter sock in the tank. Suction is applied from motor. But Im with you, we are throwing darts in the dark here.

Priming the lines from the engine bay filter will force fuel to the high pressure pump on the motor.
Given that something has been happening re injector lines, I would crack the line going to the common rail or one of the injectors to see if fuel is coming out when you spin the motor over.

The bent line that had to be replaced may be a clue to the problem. How did that happen, has anything else been damaged?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 23:04:22 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Otherwise I'm not 100% sure but there is a pump in the tank as well so if nothing is coming out with the primer then maybe the issue is back further.

Unlike the petrol i30 in the diesel there is only a filter sock in the tank. Suction is applied from motor. But Im with you, we are throwing darts in the dark here.

Priming the lines from the engine bay filter will force fuel to the high pressure pump on the motor.
Given that something has been happening re injector lines, I would crack the line going to the common rail or one of the injectors to see if fuel is coming out when you spin the motor over.

The bent line that had to be replaced may be a clue to the problem. How did that happen, has anything else been damaged?
Well there you go, here I am thinking there was a low pressure pump in there  LOL. :head_knock:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Me too. The Santa Fe and I think the ix35 have a low pressure pump, but was surprised when I had to clean the bug out of that Trophy's tank. ($16,000 quotation at Wynnum) 
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Paul44

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld 4413
So what was the answer i can prime my filter but it doesn't start
If i prime my filter while the wife turns it over I can get it to run bit once i tun it off I loose the prime
Why???
  • CRDI i30 2008

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
So what was the answer

Probably what he was told when we wasted our time with him over a month ago.  :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal