i30 Owners Club

6 speed torque converter gearbox

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum. I have a 1.6 petrol torque converter automatic tourer which I am really enjoying. I have noticed though that when the gearbox is changing down between 5th to 4th the change can sometimes be quite firm. The car I bought was 5 years old but had only done 1600 miles,  it was like brand new car. I thought things might improve when I got a few miles on it. it has now done 4000 miles but still feels the same doesn't do it every time though. Any other automatic drivers experience this. thanks guys.
  • I30 tourer automatic petrol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Tony,

That was crazy low mileage for age! We have a Tourer but ours is a manual so can't help, but hopefully someone can. Our members are friendly and helpful.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Did you happen to get a used car warranty that you can call on?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I don't know what to say for this one, such low k's over that period is not always a good thing. If there's no evidence of servicing I'd be flushing all fluids, oils , filters etc . Or book it in for a service and get it checked.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
It still had 3 months warranty remaining but at the time I convinced myself that the gearbox was ok so I didn't bother pursuing anything.

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
The 6 speed torque converter automatic gearboxes are sealed for Life it had full service history.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The 6 speed torque converter automatic gearboxes are sealed for Life it had full service history.
They're not sealed for life and can have their fluid changed just like any other auto box, the reasons for oil change are given in the warranty passport ( excessive short drives, cold weather etc etc) and further explained in the owners manual, including oil specs required.

As tw2005 mentioned I'd be doing a complete flush.

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
 Hi thanks for that info . I thought that I had read somewhere that it was sealed for Life it certainly doesn't have a dipstick. I'll read my manual again.  Just to add  thanks for The Welcome and the quick replies

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They say sealed for life but it's just their terminology, level and quality is supposed to be checked/replaced at 100k under severe conditions though being it only 1600 miles in 5 years this could be considered extreme imo, would have to be repeated short/stop start driving or sitting around for lengthy periods of time over that duration :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal