i30 Owners Club

Adding Waypoints (Addresses) to Your Car's Sat Nav While Sitting At The Computer

AlanHo · 5 · 1580

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Ever since I had a built-in sat nav in a car - I have been frustrated by not being able to pre-plan a long trip or holiday and add all the places we intended to visit while sitting in the comfort of my study.  It is easy with my Garmin, which I take with me on holidays abroad to use in a hire car - but I never worked out how to do it on my series of Hyundai and KIA cars.

KIA Customer Services UK in response to me question - told me it was not possible. However, a couple of weeks ago a member of my KIA forum posted a method of editing the car's address book - which you can export onto a memory stick - but it is in a format that cannot be easily edited. He posted a third party You Tube video showing the procedure to edit XLM files but it was directed at an audience familiar with basic coding and I was not alone in having great difficulty understanding it.

However - it tickled my fancy and I had a whole day to myself because management was out with her sister. After several hours of experiment I found a way, which I have made a detailed record of in case I can't remember mysef.

:link: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

At first sight, it looks rather daunting, but is easy to do once you have done it a couple of times. It may be clunky and there may be a better way of doing it - if so I would welcome your advice.

I am guessing that Hyundai cars work on a similar principle. It might be useful to someone who goes on long trips regularly and who would like to avoid the chore of sitting in the car and laboriously entering all his planned destinations manually.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers for that Alan. I love the way you refer to Libby as "management "  :rofl:

I also admire the way you work this stuff out. We (me) don't work things out much in advance with our road trips tending to play things by ear, but I'm sure it will help others..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks Al,
Funny you can't add way points,  Santa has factory sat nav and its in the menu list.
Could you use Hy program in Kia ??
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thanks Al,
Funny you can't add way points,  Santa has factory sat nav and its in the menu list.
Could you use Hy program in Kia ??

As standard you can export your car's address book onto a memory stick to make a back-up of your waypoints.
You can also use that memory stick to recover your address book - or transfer your address book to another KIA car.
The file format is the same as Google Earth - so you can put the memory stick into your computer and see the waypoints on the map. However, even via Google Earth you cannot enter new ones.

The only ways I was able to enter waypoints into the car was manually. Either by :-

* Scrolling the map to your destination (which is not easy), poking a finger on the target and then entering the name and saving it

* Entering the full address of the target and saving it

* Entering a post code then selecting the road from a list of options and saving it

* Entering the coordinates for the target and saving it - which I find by far the easiest and most accurate method to do manually.

All of the methods require me to sit in the car with the engine running and lean over at an angle to work on the screen - which for my old bones is most uncomfortable. Even if I sit in the passenger seat to do it.
It's OK for inputting 3 or 4 addresses - but more addresses leaves me with an aching neck and shoulder.

I can now enter waypoints easily by creating a memory stick file in the comfort of home.

I know it seems nerdish - but I have plenty of time to fill and always on the look-out for ways to make life easier.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:16:00 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
My mistake,  missed the point of being inside, nice and comfy and entering trip route.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal