i30 Owners Club

Fitting a reversing camera to a 2009 i30

08crd · 6 · 1571

Offline 08crd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
I just completed fitting a reversing camera to my daughters i30. It worked out much easier than I expected, the i30 trim comes apart and goes back together again really easy. I'm quite suprised how well they are put together. :goodjob:
  • 2009 i30 2.0L

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Pretty good, aren’t they? :goodjob:

Mine’s integrated with the centre mirror and takes its power from the overhead lighting console. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline 08crd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
The one I put in is integrated with the centre mirror also, very good set up, I picked up the supply from the back of the cigarette lighter.
I liked how easy it was to run the cable from the back to the front, along the main wiring loom on the left side, the trims locate and fit really well.
In a lot of cars I have worked on, the trims are pretty crappy and ill fitting, not so with the i30 everything fits nice, interlocks well and is secured well.
Like I said, I was really suprised and impressed.
  • 2009 i30 2.0L

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I considered using power from the dash using the A pillar and carefully routing behind the airbag but opted for doing some splicing into the overhead console, which was handy for powering the crash cam from there as well, and yes I agree the trimming is better than most. :D

Offline 08crd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Western Australia
I thought of using the  overhead console supply, but it wasn't switched and as it was my daughters car I thought last thing I need is a call out for a flat battery.lol
So I just took a supply from the cigarette lighter and added an inline fuse, there is tons of room behind the lighter escutcheon plate.
  • 2009 i30 2.0L

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
.. there is tons of room behind the lighter escutcheon plate.
Indeed there is. I bought a handful of 3A USB sockets for $1 each and stole some power off the back of those cigarette lighters to do two things: the first was a neat new socket cut between the two for general purpose USB power; the second is hidden behind it and powers a wireless charging pad I embedded under some thin black fabric in the coin tray.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal