i30 Owners Club

Impressed with Garmin GPS updating.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
When I travel on the mainland in a rental car (as I am doing shortly) I pinch the Wife's cheap and Cheerful Garmin Nuvi 40 ($76.50 about 4 years ago I think)  with lifetime map updates.

Anyway, I grab one of my laptops to connect it to and it doesn't have Garmin Express installed. So I google that, download it and install (took only a couple of minutes)

Even before I connect the Nuvi 40 or login in to my account it say Nuvi 40 updates available! So I connect the GPS via USB and it says 18 minutes to update but takes less than half that time. Map Version 2019:30 or some such thing.

Just so easy compared to just a few years ago!  :brilliant:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah they're a good device the Garmin's, even though I rarely use mine for locations anymore unless I'm out of WIFI range, it still sits on the windscreen letting me know if I've crept over the limit :) just checked mine to see if that 2019.30 was my current map as well and it was which I think I did a month or so ago :)

The new WIFI devices are even easier since you don't require Garmin Express, just log them into an available WIFI point and choose update,  with good mapping systems available on phones now I cant see a need for Nav devices anymore, once my TomTom Go for iPhone is compliant with Apple Car Play then I'll have no need for the Garmin at all.

Dazz, Remember to shut down all background running processes on the Express program via settings, it's just using up resources pointlessly when it's just as easy to start the program every now and then and run a manual update check.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers Craig although all my PCs and laptops are running brilliantly at the moment .  :Touch: I would like to update my 10.5 inch samsung tablet with maybe a 12 to 14 inch convertible laptop tablet when it dies. It's only 32gb and got a couple of minor issues. 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dazz, check out the Asus Zenbook Pro models when your ready, depending on model they can get expensive but they're the ducks nuts in ultra portable laptops, once mine eventually dies I'll be looking into the same with one of the 13" models that have the super slim bezel and 14" screen :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz, check out the Asus Zenbook Pro models when your ready, depending on model they can get expensive but they're the ducks nuts in ultra portable laptops, once mine eventually dies I'll be looking into the same with one of the 13" models that have the super slim bezel and 14" screen :goodjob2:

Do they convert into a touch screen tablet as well?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Do they convert into a touch screen tablet as well?
The Zenbook flip has the lid that folds completely over to make a tablet.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal