Rain and cruise control

eye30 · 13 · 2853

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
This was lifted from another site. Can anyone confirm or otherwise the info below.. Cheers

A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago.

It was raining, though not excessively when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through the air.

She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the Police Officer what had happened, he told her something that every driver should know -

NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON..

She thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain....

But the Police Officer told her that if the cruise control is on, your car will begin to hydro-plane when the tires lose contact with the road, and your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane.

She told the Officer that was exactly what had occurred.

The Officer said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor -

NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE ROAD IS WET OR ICY,
Along with the airbag warning.

We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed – but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the road is dry.

The only person the accident victim found who knew this, (besides the Officer), was a man who'd had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries..

NOTE: Some vehicles (like the Toyota Sienna Limited XLE) will not allow you to set the cruise control when the windshield wipers are on.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Confirmed hoax. There is no rationale for cruise control accelerating in rain.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What Gonz said.  :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Apparently the rain caused major car vibration which brought up a major case of orgasm hence the out of control driving - apparently that info float around on the net somewhere.... :whistler: :whistler:

on a serious note - good to know that it is confirmed as a hoax   :happydance: :happydance:
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hydroplaning will occur when ability to move liquid away from tyre contact area is usually severely reduced. Road surface,  Tyre tread depth,  speed, direction and speed and depth of liquid,  consistency of liquid all contribute to it happening. They all vary at any given time,  it may take a combination of 2 or 3 or more for it to happen .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Fortunately I had already heard that was a hoax before I drove through Melbourne in Torrential rain in November last year.

I set Lane Departure warning and Auto cruise and in a few instances I think it saved me.

There were times when there was several inches of water on the road and my vision was very poor due to road spray.  I was surrounded by other traffic (Melbourne cup day!) and so i couldn't really pull over anywhere either.  :crazy1:

The SR was amazingly stable in the circumstances. I couldn't feel the Traction control or lane departure cutting in and out but I am convinced a car without them wouldn't have felt anywhere  near as composed.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hydroplaning will occur when ability to move liquid away from tyre contact area is usually severely reduced. Road surface,  Tyre tread depth,  speed, direction and speed and depth of liquid,  consistency of liquid all contribute to it happening. They all vary at any given time,  it may take a combination of 2 or 3 or more for it to happen .
All true.
But none of the above are accentuated by whether or not the CC is activated.
This story resurfaces regularly on FB. Has done for years.
Whilst it is a hoax, I wouldn't use CC in the wet. I felt much more comfortable with foot control over the accelerator.

I get Dazzs point though with the adaptive cruise.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
All true.
But none of the above are accentuated by whether or not the CC is activated.
This story resurfaces regularly on FB. Has done for years.
Whilst it is a hoax, I wouldn't use CC in the wet. I felt much more comfortable with foot control over the accelerator.

I get Dazzs point though with the adaptive cruise.

Don't use CC unless have a good clear run.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It has only been declared a hoax after Trump tweeted it.

Fake news.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
In adverse conditions I like full control over the car it helps me to keep concentration on the road, and see water pooling in advance. It also encourages you to move your feet away from the pedals as it uncomfortable to hold your foot unsuported above the pedals 'just in case'.

Should I be caught out I do believe the use of cruise control would reduce the instant throttle response which is automatic, take your foot off the accelerator, which often is sufficent to recover.

To kill cruise you either have to hit a button on the steering wheel or hit the brakes, which in a panic could cause an over reaction to the situation presented and a new crisis.

But to each their own.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :crazy1: :crazy1:I think we all agree with those sentiments beerman.
It's the assertion that once hydroplaning starts the car will accelerate that is the rubbish big.
I see what Dazzler is saying about all the current cropmof electronic driving aids but as I said above, keep control with your feet. Not a button.  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:crazy1: :crazy1:I think we all agree with those sentiments beerman.
It's the assertion that once hydroplaning starts the car will accelerate that is the rubbish big.
I see what Dazzler is saying about all the current cropmof electronic driving aids but as I said above, keep control with your feet. Not a button.  :goodjob:

Because I use my Auto cruise almost constantly and had done so for nearly 40,000 kilometres by the time I drove through Melbourne I knew how to read the car. I have conditioned myself to be able to monitor the behaviour of the car under auto control and be poised to react with my feet and hands if necessary.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I cruise all the time. To me my own. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal