i30 Owners Club

Turbo whistling - air valve ??

Offline grantgibson

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
 have developed a bad turbo whistle and lost a bit of top end power so spent yesterday with my mate and we did the following;

disconnect intercooler pipe and air filter box

attached a baked bean can where the filter box would usually be

held our hand over the intercooler pipe and inflated the system to around 15 psi to check for leaks in pipes - no issues

We then went around the exhaust gate valve which was being actuated quite frequently --> chasing the pipes towards the front of the engine we found the air vacuum / boost pressure valve and when we disconnected one of the hoses or clamped the hose the turbo whistle stopped

I have ordered a replacement part online but it seems you can't get the OEM part any more 39450-2A600

Just wondering whether anyone has had this issue and also whether replacing the part made it go away ?

If I plumb the solenoid in the "wrong" way the noise stops so my thoughts are that the solenoid isn't being triggered correctly

:link: IMG-20200806-124506 — ImgBB
  • Hyundai i30 2009 1.6

Offline grantgibson

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Just wanted to add I've tested the solenoid and that works by the way
  • Hyundai i30 2009 1.6

Offline oldmanwarrior

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Did you find the problem ? We have a 2009 i30 diesel and the turbo suddenly started whistling and my wife looked around for an ambulance and realized it was the car. Our mechanic told us it was the bearings going, but bearings are still there spinning happily and after 2 or more years still whistling at people. It has now done 185000 km. Fuel consumption hasn't changed only the moment when power comes in has gone from 2000 rpm to 2500 rpm. It's quite noisy and people can hear it but inside it's not too bad. I would like to know what you have found.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
This is fascinating, Grant. I look forward to understanding how the solenoid might be contributing to noise. Mine isn't whistling but it seems it's only a matter of time, so I'll be following this.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Barron91

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
Any update regarding this issue?

I recently purchased a 2009 CRD with the whistling turbo. It doesn’t impact the drive at. If anything, it’s constantly giving boost the drive is extremely nippy even at low RPMs.

I thought the turbo actuator was getting stuck and allow boost all of the time. I found a replacement from the wrecker and put it on but it remains the same.

I was unable to find a vacuum leak anywhere after inspecting the pipe work. I also traced back to the boost controller but yet to take off and inspect to see if the relay is working correctly.

The only other clue given by the previous owner was it seemed to start after the air filter was changed by a mechanic. I wonder if there is a leak around the air box somewhere.
  • 2009 i30 CRD

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hey all,

Anymore on this topic? I have the same problem at the moment, mad whistle when under load until 2200rpm when boost kicks back in and whistle ceases. I know for certain it is to do with the variable vane assembly (actuator, vacuum lines etc), but basic diagnostics haven been fruitful
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Offline zatos99

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Found the problem, there was a 12mm slit in the turbo hose (that comes off the turbo towards the intercooler). Ordered part, hope this helps 😁
  • 2009 i30cw FD SX

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal