i30 Owners Club

diesel/manual; when to change gears?

Offline troutking

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hey guys,
I have recently purchased a 2012, Active, Diesel, Manual. Super happy with the car.
I just have a few questions about what is best for the engine.

1. Gear changes:
The car itself suggests (never had that before!) a gear change generally around 1750rpm. My opinion would be that this is too low revs for gear changes. Especially as the peak torque output is 1900rpm....
I would normally go for around 2000rpm or a little higher depending on driving conditions....?

2. Different driving modes -standard -sports -comfort...
What are the differences between these modes and which is best for longevity of the engine...?

3. The 'brake assist' button that you can turn on or off....? What does it do and is it necessary? Where I live there is no snow or icy conditions.

Any info regarding any of the above queries would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
  • 2012 active diesel manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :wttc: troutking

1. Gear changes can be done earlier in diesels due to the extra torque of the engine, 1900rpm might be peak torque though you should be able to comfortably change from at least 1500rpm I would think with an economical driving style.

2. Driving modes are purely the feedback you'd like to feel through the steering wheel, nothing to do with engine.

3. Traction control is not necessary though there is little reason to turn if off unless you're wanting to spin the wheels, safer with it on.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal