i30 Owners Club

can i download speed camera details to i30 that does not have them on the sat na

cliff · 9 · 2958

Offline cliff

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      united kingdom
Can I download speed cameras on a new i30 as these are not included on the sat nav supplied
  • 2018 i30 tourer premium

Offline paulemmo

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Yorkshire
Hello Cliff,

Unsure about updating the built-in sat-nav but you can get a Tom Tom Speed Camera app for smartphones.  Simple little app that knows about speed cameras and traffic issues (certainly in the UK, unsure about elsewhere).  I tested it only yesterday - it shows speed and gives up to 25 seconds warning of a camera.  Works with the smartphone screen switched on or off, so you could use the built-in i30 sat-nav with the Tom Tom app just handling the warnings.  It's also free!

Hope this helps,

Paul.
  • 2016 i30 SE NAV 5 door hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hello Cliff,

Unsure about updating the built-in sat-nav but you can get a Tom Tom Speed Camera app for smartphones.  Simple little app that knows about speed cameras and traffic issues (certainly in the UK, unsure about elsewhere).  I tested it only yesterday - it shows speed and gives up to 25 seconds warning of a camera.  Works with the smartphone screen switched on or off, so you could use the built-in i30 sat-nav with the Tom Tom app just handling the warnings.  It's also free!

Hope this helps,

Paul.
I've not heard of a TomTom speed camera app :confused: not something that's available here from what I can see on the App Store so possibly region specific :undecided:

TomTom do have the Go Mobile app which has speed camera notifications but you only get 75km's free a month.

Offline paulemmo

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Yorkshire
Hello Craig,

It's on Google Play over here and implies it works in Australia.  Here's the gumf from the Play app description:

------------------

Enjoy relaxed driving with accurate and timely alerts for all types of speed cameras (including fixed, mobile, and average speed) and traffic jams.
Download for free and join the community of more than 5 million drivers!

Why choose TomTom Speed Cameras:
>> an enthusiastic community of more than 5 million drivers, who can share and confirm speed camera locations
>> highly-accurate fixed speed cameras locations, verified by a TomTom moderation team
>> real-time mobile speed camera updates from our active community
>> average speed calculation when driving in an average speed zone
>> warnings for slower-moving traffic on your route so you can brake smoothly and in time
>> powered by TomTom Maps: the app knows which road you are driving on and gives only relevant alerts
>> TomTom's highly accurate traffic information
>> overlay mode so you can receive alerts while using other apps

Country coverage:
United Kingdom, Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lesotho, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Ukraine, Uruguay, USA

-----------------

Cheers,

Paul.
  • 2016 i30 SE NAV 5 door hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for that Paul, doesn't appear to be an available option in the Apple Store that I can find, might be Android only :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The latest model Hyundai and KIA cars in the UK can use the Tom Tom connected services where your smartphone is tethered as a WiFi hub. This gives your sat nav speed camera and traffic displays that are surprisingly bang up to date.

I no longer use my smartphone for that purpose - I kept forgetting to take it with me when I parked the car. I bought a TP-Link 4G LTE mobile wifi unit which is left permanently connected to the power socket in the car fitted with a 12 month data only 12GB SIM which solved my problem.

However - on my KIA it does not change the speed limit display on the sat nav which is so far out of date it is worthless. For example the speed limit of a road near where I live was changed from 50 to 40 mph nearly 3 years ago - my 12 month old car sat nav still shows the old 50 mph.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

However - on my KIA it does not change the speed limit display on the sat nav which is so far out of date it is worthless. For example the speed limit of a road near where I live was changed from 50 to 40 mph nearly 3 years ago - my 12 month old car sat nav still shows the old 50 mph.

I have the same issue with the built in GPS in my i30 SR. The GPS in my previous Calais was the same. Several local speed limits reduced years ago, but not updated on the GPS.  :undecided:

Using Android Auto for navigation doesn't really help as thet gives you no speed limits at all and some areas seem to have very limited speed limit signs.  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
I've had a play with Waze recently & it seems to have the current speed limits up to date - displays them clearly on my phone's screen & changes colour when they are exceeded.

Pretty sure it also displays speed cameras & also mobile ones if they are reported by other users.
The app is crowd supported so any users can report an incident with the tap of a couple of buttons whilst they are on the road.

App available for both Android & Apple

Naturally some of your data/details will be used by Waze to keep things up to date - so if you have any privacy concerns, maybe this app not for you?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 22:21:27 by i30premy »
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm a big fan of Waze. It was a must for our 15 months in Indonesia, particularly when driving in and around Jakarta. For international tourism, I use Maps.Me for offline, cost-free navigation.

Built-in car satnav can't compete.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal