i30 Owners Club

FD A4CF2 / A4CF1 Filter change / Pan reseal and flush

tw2005 · 2 · 1723

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My 2008 SLX CRDi was due for transmission fluid change, with 231000k on the clock, last flush was roughly 60000k and close to 3 years. Last time was Genuine Mitsubishi SP3, Going with the Penrite Full Syn multivehicle as I've had that in the CW with no issues.

Receipts show the VB has been replaced in this. Unfortunately Mr mechanic thought a gasket instead of FIPG which is factory was a good idea.

may have been if he'd done a thorough cleaning and removal of the old sealant prior. anyway it's been weeping ever since I had it and had enough, nothing else leaks and it's getting messy with all the grit getting stuck in it.

First i removed under tray

Here you can see the drips and build up

Removed the drain plug, brown fluid

Cracked the gasket and remove all but a couple of bolts, scewed them out enough to have the pan hang and drain most of the remaining fluid. Vehicle was on ramps and a slope so it was at the rear away from the drain plug.

after that shower of fluid

Drop the pan, not clear but you can see parts of old sealant left on the mating surface. Thaty black fuzzy disc on the bottom of that filter (genuine) is a magnet, meant to be sitting in the pan.

The pan, with the gasket , notice the other magnet and the vacant spot where the other should be.

Pan cleaned, old gasket removed, magnets cleaned and refitted

filter which was genuine, surprising since this had a non genuine gasket fitted. was expecting REPCO since they sell a filter kit and gasket at over $100 (ripoff)

Filter removed and mating surfaces cleaned

Date stamp on VB suggests 3rd month 2014

New filter, RYCO fitted

FIPG , TOYOTA 1281 which is Threebond, awesome stuff. Think I paid $40 for this tube 4 year ago in darwin.

You have about 5-10mins to get it laid out on the pan seam and fitted. Manual states 1281B sealant.

How it should look

Drain releases about 2.5 litres, system holds 8 litres, used close to 10L to get it clean. that's pouring 3l in and then on the return line from the cooler I had an 8mm hose pumping into a bucket, engine running , takes a bout 3 refills to clean it, then ad 2.5l on the last and level should be ok, Run the engine until bubbles come out, stop , refill, repeat until clean.
 Purchased bulk 20l drum with discount, about $85 in fluid, $50 odd for the filter

Keep in mind, this does not get done normally, drain and flush, consider those magnet fill up with material and filter too, both left in there when the dealer does it no doubt .

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Gerard, great post. Very informative and helpful.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal