i30 Owners Club

Reset TPMS Module

Offline xeremias

• 1st Gear

• ar Argentina
      Mar del Plata
Hello people

Greetings from Argentina

Maybe you can give me a hand, a while ago the valve on one of the wheels broke, which is attached to the sensor module for the TPMS.
The module is 52933-2L000 which is, at least here in Argentina, unavailable.

I got and installed an alternative, the issue is that the system, while running without one, its turning off.
The TPMS light stays always on.

I tried removing the battery, some guides talk about the tpms button but the mk1 doesn't have it.
I also connected the obd2 with the torque android program but it does not show a failure to delete.

Any idea how to reset this module?

or possibly how to disable the dashboard light?

Sorry for my English.

From already thank you very much
  • 2009 i30 mk1 5 Door Hatch, petrol 2.0 lt manual black

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi xeremias,

Your English is outstanding compared to my Spanish however there was a couple of points I did not clearly understand (and that could just be me because I can be a bit picky. :) ) .

Firstly, do you have your owners manual?  If so, somewhere buried in there will be a section on the TPMS and will explain what's what, especially any TPMS relearning procedure that must be followed.  If you don't have a manual, I'm hoping someone on the forum has one and can educate us both. :)

Anyways, moving on with the mystery.  So, you broke a valve stem off a TPMS sensor module.  You said: "I got and installed an alternative".  Just to clarify, was the alternative only a new valve stem (which one can sometimes buy and fit to the existing TPMS sensor module) or did you buy and fit a new, complete TPMS unit (sensor module with valve stem)?

You also said: "I got and installed an alternative, the issue is that the system, while running without one, its turning off.  The TPMS light stays always on".  So, if you did install an alternative TPMS unit, why now is the car running without one which is probably causing the TPMS dash warning light to come on?  And, exactly what is it that is turning off?

How confident are you that the "alternative" you bought is the correct aftermarket part for your model?  If the part is incorrect the TPMS will not recognise it and will throw a fault.

There are some cluey (tyre) guys here and with your answers to the above we should be able to solve the problem. 
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline xeremias

• 1st Gear

• ar Argentina
      Mar del Plata
Hi xeremias,

Your English is outstanding compared to my Spanish however there was a couple of points I did not clearly understand (and that could just be me because I can be a bit picky. :) ) .

Firstly, do you have your owners manual?  If so, somewhere buried in there will be a section on the TPMS and will explain what's what, especially any TPMS relearning procedure that must be followed.  If you don't have a manual, I'm hoping someone on the forum has one and can educate us both. :)

Anyways, moving on with the mystery.  So, you broke a valve stem off a TPMS sensor module.  You said: "I got and installed an alternative".  Just to clarify, was the alternative only a new valve stem (which one can sometimes buy and fit to the existing TPMS sensor module) or did you buy and fit a new, complete TPMS unit (sensor module with valve stem)?

You also said: "I got and installed an alternative, the issue is that the system, while running without one, its turning off.  The TPMS light stays always on".  So, if you did install an alternative TPMS unit, why now is the car running without one which is probably causing the TPMS dash warning light to come on?  And, exactly what is it that is turning off?

How confident are you that the "alternative" you bought is the correct aftermarket part for your model?  If the part is incorrect the TPMS will not recognise it and will throw a fault.

There are some cluey (tyre) guys here and with your answers to the above we should be able to solve the problem.

Hi Terry

Thanks for your answer

1- Yes, I have the owner's manual. However, the only references to the tpms indicate that you go to an official dealer :-(
2- I buy a complete tpms unit with valve steam, the original is the 52933-2L000 which does not allow the valve to be separated from the module.
This is the replacement i bought :
TPMS VALVE

If it doesn't work I thought I'd buy a regular valve and somehow glue the sensor to the wheel as this works perfectly.
3-
What I wanted to express is:
I removed the broken valve and sensor, and replaced it with a regular valve (without a sensor)
I used the vehicle for a few days in this way, the first days it indicated that the front left tire was deflated.
But one day, the tpms indicator stayed on and no longer indicated the wheel. Then the replacement arrived and I installed it, but the light stayed on.
Perhaps the new valve recognition is automatic and the replacement does not work,  but from what I understand, the TPMS module of the vehicle must be reset.

Offline xeremias

• 1st Gear

• ar Argentina
      Mar del Plata
Its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seems to be automatic.
I still don't know if it takes a long long time driving or....
Until last night, I had the old sensor in the trunk, maybe it interfered somehow.

Thank you sooooooo much to everywhere!!!!

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seems to be automatic.
I still don't know if it takes a long long time driving or....
Until last night, I had the old sensor in the trunk, maybe it interfered somehow.

Thank you sooooooo much to everywhere!!!!

Xeremias, good news then!  Yes, if you have a TPMS automatic relearn system, it is possible that the old sensor in the trunk was sending out its signal which interfered with the car's TPMS (system).

Funny, but your post just beat me by minutes as I was about to post a reply, which I have decided to copy and paste below anyway for the information it contains that may help other forum members.
_______________________________________________________________________________ _______

Xeremias,

Thanks for the clarifications, it has helped me at least understand better.  So, we will assume that your new TPMS sensor is the correct part and that was undamaged during fitment.

All TPMS sensors have their own unique serial number.  When new TPMS sensors are fitted to a car there are, depending on the car's age, two ways that the car’s TPMS recognises the sensors and ‘relearns’ them (i.e. knows their serial numbers and locations on the car).

1.   The automatic relearn process - used in more modern cars. 
When new TPMS sensors are fitted, the car has to be driven for a set time/distance (e.g. 20 minutes or 20 kms Correction: driven up to 20 minutes at speeds over 20 km/h.  Later systems, 10 minutes over 25 km/h) while the car’s TPMS automatically 'learns' the new serial numbers and where they are located.  Just drive away, and when the relearning process is complete, any dash warning icons should go out.  Done!

2.   The manual relearn process - used in older cars.
When new TPMS sensors are fitted, you need a special TPMS “Tool” to record and log the serial numbers for each TPMS sensor and where they are located on the car.    The Tool is then connected by cable to the car’s OBD2 port.  Follow the instructions on the Tool’s screen and the sensor details in the Tool (S/N & location) are transferred to the car’s ECU/TPMS.  Done.  Any dash warning icons should go out.  Drive away.
_______________________________________________________________________________ ________

Given your car’s age (2009) and the problems you were having I had assumed that your car was a manual relearn but your post suggests that I guessed wrong.  :-[  However,  I am surprised that your owners manual didn't say you just need to drive around a bit if the car has automatic relearn.  Anyways, it is all immaterial now, your problem seems solved.  Good one.   :goodjob2:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 01:08:17 by TerryT »

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Oops, just realised I forgot to include a couple of photos in my post above.

Also, I have been rethinking what I said in an earlier post: "Yes, if you have a TPMS automatic relearn system, it is possible that the old sensor in the trunk was sending out its signal which interfered with the car's TPMS (system)".  But, in a properly operating fully operating system what happens if someone carries a full size spare tyre with a TPMS sensor already fitted in it?  That should be allowable and should not drive the TPMS into a frenzy.  Maybe the TPMS knows that it already has details for all four wheels (so the system is "full") and it doesn't have room to be confused by an extra TPMS sensor. 

In your case, maybe the TPMS still recognised your old TPMS sensor's serial number as a 'friendly' but didn't know what to do about it?  I need to drink more and think about it.  Anyways, it's all just academic but I hate mysteries. :)

Example of a TPMS Service Tool.

Screen shot of my car's sensors recorded onto my Tool.  If my car was a manual relearn, the Tool would then be connected to the car's OBD2 port via cable and the sensor details (serial number and location on car) would be transferred to the car's ECU/TPMS.  All done!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:48:29 by TerryT »

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
yes the old one being in the boot will no doubt upset it. Its all automatic takes a few miles.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
yes the old one being in the boot will no doubt upset it. Its all automatic takes a few miles.
Ok, Lorian, thanks for the confirmation, especially that his model (2009, i10 Mk1) has an automatic relearn TPMS system. 

I was thrown by xeremias saying his owner manual 's "only references to the tpms indicate that you go to an official dealer".  To me that suggested his car must have a manual relearn system (which needs a TPMS service tool so off to the dealer :)) otherwise the manual surely would have said you just need to drive around for a few miles etc.

As my wife says "Treat it like one of Life's Little Mysteries...along with all your others".  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal