i30 Owners Club

2009 i30 cw has engine bay pressure washed, drove for 6 hours then drained batte

Offline Lionsurftrip

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Hey my i30 people!!
So happy with my 2009 i30 cw wagon here in Queensland Australia, best car ever. I recently had the engine bay quickly pressure washed with little water. The next day I drove for over 6 hours then for the last hour of the trip I had the battery light on the dashboard come up, kept driving and then had the esp light show up, then the abs light then the airbag light then the engine would only run on high revs and then lighting in the car started diminishing and finally what caused me to stop driving was power steering loss. I imagine the alternator must not be charging so I’m just inquiring to see if there would could be another issue other then a burnt out alternator, perhaps a fuse or rusted connection. I just don’t have the money to replace a alternator at the moment. Any ideas or thoughts would be amazing. Cheers guys!! 
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 cw

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
The regulator is built into the alternator, so either way you might need to replace it.

Does sound like an alternator/ regulator.

If it is the regulator, lucky it's not over charging.

The regulator on my old X3 Excel overcharged the battery and it exploded. Heaps of fuses and lights blew

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Lionsurftrip

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thank you my friend!!!
I borrowed a battery which was a little bit smaller to make it home and 10 minutes into the drive the battery light showed up again so I’m sure it has to be the alternator bc if the alternator was working I would still have power to the steering at least I would imagine, I just hoped it might have been a simple fuse change or bad/ corroded connection caused by water. Thank you again my friend!!!!! :crazy1: :crazy1:
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 cw

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just make sure the connections to the alternator are clean and tight before you spend any money.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lionsurftrip

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks surfer dude I was thinking the same thing! Clean the connector with electric cleaner spray!  :victory:
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 cw

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If the alt is not working the battery / charge light will come on immediately. But, you seem to say this is not the case. Good chance that the water has caused an issue with a connection or fuse. Checking and WD40 may save the day.
To check the alternator operation, start the motor then remove one battery lead. The motor will still operate if its charging, die if its not.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Lionsurftrip

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
 :crazy1: thank you nzenigma!! I will clean them out!! Hopefully a clean is all it needs the car does have 270,000km on it so corrosion can be a problem!! I have faith in your words
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 cw

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
With that kind of K's if it's original unit worn out brushes are also on the cards and can make intermittent contact when they get to that point.

To replace those disassembly would be required and it would be foolish not to refurb it with new bearings and also likely the commutator will have wear also.

A new one genuine approx $320 delivered off ebay or take a shot with a low K unit off a wreck if you can find one.

37300 23650

I'm a little skeptical of a water issue after 6 hours of run time prior to the lamp coming on and that plug arrangement should make water ingress difficult .
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have the alternator checked to see if charge output before you go any further.

Depending on result, will guide you as whether alt at fault or another issue

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Having eliminated the battery as the culprit, there are two broad options to check, which accords with all the advice you've read so far.

1. The alternator starts out OK (no dashboard warning light) then deteriorates and fails to charge, possibly heat related.

2. There's a partial, heat or vibration related, short in your circuit, which drives down the alternator's voltage to that which is lower than your battery voltage (which is what triggers the warning lamp in the simplest of systems).

Either way, I think the swapping out of the alternator would be needed to work through the possibilities.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lionsurftrip

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
 :victory: you guys are legends!! This world is full of good!! Don’t know how more to thank you then with a simple thank you and heaps of blessings! I have run some tests like I was advised and cleaned the connectors and ran the engine and while running disconnected the battery and the car turns off, so the alternator definitely has issues, also checked alternator fuses and all seem to be in good condition, no broken bits. I have looked for a alternator and found one off a i30 for $100 but not the wagon wrecker says it’s got the same amperage but cannot find anywhere on the net about the amperage for the i30 cw wagon. Luckily there are as good people as you guys willing to help me change it over for a beer. Seems easy as access to the alternator is right there. Cheers again for all the help and knowledge amazing
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 cw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:victory: you guys are legends!! This world is full of good!! Don’t know how more to thank you then with a simple thank you and heaps of blessings! I have run some tests like I was advised and cleaned the connectors and ran the engine and while running disconnected the battery and the car turns off, so the alternator definitely has issues, also checked alternator fuses and all seem to be in good condition, no broken bits. I have looked for a alternator and found one off a i30 for $100 but not the wagon wrecker says it’s got the same amperage but cannot find anywhere on the net about the amperage for the i30 cw wagon. Luckily there are as good people as you guys willing to help me change it over for a beer. Seems easy as access to the alternator is right there. Cheers again for all the help and knowledge amazing

I'm no mechanic but I can't see why the CW would be different from the hatch.. I would be 99.9% certain the alternator would be exactly the same for both versions.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I'm no mechanic but I can't see why the CW would be different from the hatch.. I would be 99.9% certain the alternator would be exactly the same for both versions.  :victory:

We only do this so that good people like you will say thanks  :D  :goodjob2: Thankyou.

Now our Dazz is correct, hatch and wagon will be the same. But, I don't think you mentioned if you are running petrol or diesel. Alternator off Petrol motor has a different mount and pulley to the one off a diesel.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Great to hear!

As long as it is from the same engine you'll be fine.

The diesel alternator does have a higher amperage than the petrol.

I had the Petrol beta engine in my Elantra and it was easy to work on.

Similar design to the alpha motor in my X3 Excel. Alternator swap was easy.

All the best

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Part number is on the item  easy to compare to the replacement
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:whistler: obviously from someone who has never got his hands dirty at a wrecking yard.

:evil:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

:whistler: obviously from someone who has never got his hands dirty at a wrecking yard.

:evil:

:happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal