i30 Owners Club

Maybe electrical, problem turning right

Shorty · 3 · 5713

Offline Shorty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast QLD
G'day from Australia

I've got a weird one for you (rubs hands together, thinking of where to start and how to explain the issue)

When steering to the right, slight/hard, the gear indicator on the dash starts to flicker to P and the car starts to bunny hop as if it does move into park while driving. It will also rev out on occasion but feels more like it's in N but still with the indicator flickering to P.
It only occurs after the car has warmed up, depending on the weather could be fine for up to 10mins.
I've taken it in for a diagnostic read and no error codes are registering.
Mechanically I was told the car is in excellent condition and the problem is most likely electrical, but where its coming from he could not say.

My problem is I love my car and would like to keep it but the cost of blindly exploring for a unidentified issue might blow out.
If anyone has heard or come across something like this before, would be keen to hear any advice, some place to start or tell me to give up.

Cheers in advance  :confused:
  • 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto, Red

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'day,
You are correct !, totally weird  :lol:
Okay,
Only when you turn right ?
Auto box gear indicator /park/drive etc electrical thingy is at gearbox, not back at selector handle. Wonder if loose or full of crap ?
Mech-brainiacs needed.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:

Wow, that is kind of scary. In certain scenarios it could be dangerous. 

I'm going to suggest my usual first option for these sort of random suspected electrical gremlins. That is, disconnect the negative terminal for a minimum of 30 minutes to reset the BCM (body control module).

Seems to fix about 50% of this sort of fault. So fingers crossed.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal