i30 Owners Club

SOLVED: ESC light on at 50 mph - every time - help needed

charlie8 · 91 · 39103

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
This is my patented 'wimp helper'. Selling world wide for A$60 plus freight. CASH!!

Looks more like a tool of torture   :eek:   :lol:

@mickd   :D Yes it has many entertaining uses around the home, especially during school holidays.  :evil:
I still have my small tool box (we called them the abortion box) from past days on the road and in the air. It has an array of strangely bent and thinly ground down spanners etc that I made for awkward jobs.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
This is my patented 'wimp helper'. Selling world wide for A$60 plus freight. CASH!!

@mickd   :D Yes it has many entertaining uses around the home, especially during school holidays.  :evil:
I still have my small tool box (we called them the abortion box) from past days on the road and in the air. It has an array of strangely bent and thinly ground down spanners etc that I made for awkward jobs.

Did someone say School Holidays!  :sweating: With 16 and a half step-grandkids I'm really looking forward to the  next two weeks..  :crazy1:

I think I'll get my hat and coat..  :Prayer:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Did someone say School Holidays!  :sweating: With 16 and a half step-grandkids I'm really looking forward to the  next two weeks..  :crazy1:

Mate!! :spitty: I was going to offer you my tool box, but seems its too late.
  :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Looks more like a tool of torture   :eek:   

Get on your bike....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't worry, I have have lots of things planned and none of them are within 5kms of home!  :crazy1:

I did take the 10 year old daughter of my Step daughter with me to the supermarket for a ride last night. She is probably my favourite.  :goodjob:

I think because I have two daughters I relate to girls better. They don't break stuff and she doesn't ask for stuff all the time like her Brothers do..

Offline charlie8

• 2nd Gear
SOLVED

Finally got the switch, even  through Hyundai there were 3 switch types for this reg, and had to send pics for me to ID the right one that matched the one I had. Anyway picked up this morning, fitted ( and boy was that fiddly, frustrating, finger tip threading, feet pushing on the roof, had to put string around pedal to hold down  ) but its in and straight away EVERYTHING below is back and working.

The part was labelled ignition switch, although nothing to do with that, just tells ECU the clutch pedal is up and that fits into the all the s/w algorithms that drive the below.

So all in all, £35 and a massive big up to nzenigma  :goodjob2: :goodjob:. I am not convinced that paying Hyundai to scan the codes ( £96 ) in the submodules would have helped, it would be the real time sensor info they'd need to plot AND be clued up enough to know to look at the pedal up switch state as it would not be registering a fault, just a confusing reading to the ECU. So this could have ballooned into 00's £'s through mis-diag

So for the record, if you see the below happending ( and ONLY the below ) you need a new clutch switch - the lower one that tells when the clutch is up

Car starts fine - everytime - every ~20 days it does feel a bit lumpy on tickover for a short while, been like this for a ~ year
No lights on at start or driving ( < 50 mph )
ISG stopped working
CC not working - switches on and dash light, but can never set a speed
Clutch down when moving - RPM will drop RAPIDLY ( one of the issues and so bad driving experience on gearchange ) and goto 1K if left, no less. This happens even with no ESC light on ie from start
50 mph ESC light comes on ( whatever gear )
The gear change notification on the computer not working for best mpg

Thanks everyone else on this forum to, the suggestions here were many but the inside knowledge of the system is what drove the solution - and that is down to pure good human nature and helpful people

:happydance:

C
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:03:38 by charlie8 »
  • i30

Offline charlie8

• 2nd Gear

BTW thats the offender - that black circle is the top of a plunger that should be poking out and spring loaded
  • i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Great result and congratulations on your perseverance.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Phew........ sorted........back to enjoying the ride
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:brilliant:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
SOLVED...
Thanks everyone else on this forum to, the suggestions here were many but the inside knowledge of the system is what drove the solution - and that is down to pure good human nature and helpful people  :happydance: C

@charlie8 . Hi Charlie, when you described the state of the switch (broken plunger) I knew we had it licked.  :happydance:
A huge relief given the time we all have put in to this form of 'distance learning'; while we also applied some lateral thinking to solve a new problem.

I agree, you treated the quote to scan codes with suitable scepticism and saved yourself £96 plus ££££.  I often wish others had that skill.

Charlie my personal thanks for your own "good human nature" in returning to tell us that the problem is solved.
Now go enjoy that i30  :) :goodjob2: Gary

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Tricky problem with a good result. Bet you and Gary feel great now you have had a win.  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Righto gents,
Time to shout yourselves a beer and say quitely to your yourself  - F##K I'M GOOD.

:happydance:  :happydance:  :happydance:  :happydance:  :goodjob2:   :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Righto gents,
Time to shout yourselves a beer and say quitely to your yourself  - F##K I'M GOOD.

:rofl: :victory:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Righto gents,

:lol: That kids got a way with words  :goodjob2: :D

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Righto gents,

:lol: That kids got a way with words  :goodjob2: :D

"that kid " - I like that!  👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline szwak

• 1st Gear
Hi to all I would like to say that I have had problem with clutch switch symptoms the same but do not have CC and stop start engine so I bought a new one with 57 pounds for it I write curious what have happend with old one so decided to take old one in pieces it was easy and it occurred that spring was broken do before you make a call to dealer try to fix it on your own you need 35mm long and 3mm diameter spring if that was not a spring then you need a call to dealer
  • hyundai i30

Offline WendyES

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Just wanted to add to this thread that I've had EXACTLY the same car faults as Charlie8, in my 2012 1.6 CRDi. Courtesy of the expert information, I've replaced the top clutch switch, and all the faults have gone. My switch had a different failure mode though, the plunger was still working, but the internal switch had failed, it wasn't breaking continuity. A multimeter was the only way to find this problem. Thanks nzenigma for including all the necessary info earlier in the thread.

• 1.6CRDi 2012

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@WendyES . We appreciate your added input and your thanks. Enjoy that car  :D

Offline charles-carol

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDI 2012 GD bluedrive 60.000 miles.
ESC light on 50 mph.
Same faults as others.
Clutch top position switch failed. Replaced switch by unplugging electrical contact block top of switch. Cable tied clutch pedal down to steering shaft for easier access to bottom nut. Cut in half old cheap 14mm combination spanner for easier access. Changed switch. £40 plus VAT from main dealer after market switches are available.
Thanks to this thread.
  • hyundai active blue drive CRDI MK2 GD

Offline Martini

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridge
Does anyone know if the offending switch can be accessed more easily by removing the panel under the steering wheel?
  • i30 1.6 CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Does anyone know if the offending switch can be accessed more easily by removing the panel under the steering wheel?
I would expect that is exactly what you need to do to gain access. How else could you do it?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Martini

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cambridge
It looks like in earlier posts that others have maybe got down in the footwell with their heads near the pedals and removed the switch from above them.  Not sure if this is the case!  Does anyone know the details of how to remove that lower panel?  There is one screw near to the centre console.  It looks like other fixings are accessed by removing the panel on the end of the dashboard which you can see with the drivers door open.  This small end panel must prise off but I haven't given it much force yet.  I'll try it in the morning (in about 8 hours).   :)
  • i30 1.6 CRDI

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
It looks like in earlier posts that others have maybe got down in the footwell with their heads near the pedals and removed the switch from above them.  Not sure if this is the case!  Does anyone know the details of how to remove that lower panel?  There is one screw near to the centre console.  It looks like other fixings are accessed by removing the panel on the end of the dashboard which you can see with the drivers door open.  This small end panel must prise off but I haven't given it much force yet.  I'll try it in the morning (in about 8 hours).   :)
Yeah, I think fuse cover, then that trim, a couple of screws on the side , there's also two in the front in either corner, then lower carefully , disconnect any cables to switches and also watch the OBD2 connector. Clips into a bracket screwed to the panel. The plastic clips can be fragile and break with age, I often leave it clipped and unscrew the bracket.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I tried removing that end panel when I was changing out the blinker relay for an electronic one to match my LED DRL/Blinkers. I removed screws and got it loose but just couldn't get that end panel off without serious plastic distortion, so I gave up and sat upside down in the driver's seat to do the job. I did however remove (permanently) the soft kick panel with the fluffy white lining - totally useless and a bother as it hung limply over my left toe when changing gears.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I tried removing that end panel when I was changing out the blinker relay for an electronic one to match my LED DRL/Blinkers. I removed screws and got it loose but just couldn't get that end panel off without serious plastic distortion, so I gave up and sat upside down in the driver's seat to do the job. I did however remove (permanently) the soft kick panel with the fluffy white lining - totally useless and a bother as it hung limply over my left toe when changing gears.
:faint: I'm lost for words...............actually , no I'm not.

allow me to list out some potential variables here.

1. Engineering Stuff Up?

2. Is there a technician in the house?

3. Oh my god, look at my left foot

4. I had my tongue in the wrong position and there was a disturbance with the equilibrium of the Force.

5. What's this? I don't need all this trim

Now having that fluffy under tray removed means more dust will land on your feet and inevitably cause that left irritated foot to swell even more.

:crazy2:

I think from memory I put my hand in the opening where the fuse cover would be , grabbing the longest edge and give it a decent pull, flexes but usually pops out. Trying to pry the leading edge on the outside usually ends up scratching or stretching the plastic locally creating white stress marks.

Here's my first i30 cover, when I was an i30 apprentice. Notice the scratch marks from my early ways.

Where the arrow is, get the finger tips under there and pull, it should pop out with out any real distortion.

A poorly constructed youtube on my phone whilst in my PJs , trim removal single handed whilst skillfully keeping the phone steady. Note how the left foot fits in the footwell. :goodjob2:

:link: Hyundai FD i30 drivers fuse box trim removal. - YouTube

You can see one of the last 2 screws needed to remove that under tray with the fuse cover out. The last is under the end cover.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:18:41 by tw2005 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:rofl: :rofl: :baps:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Unless of course it's some other cover  :sweating:  :scared:

Offline charles-carol

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Tried removing covers when we did ours but seems like would do more damage then help and too time consuming. Head in footwell although uncomfortable only one black plug and one nut to remove. Can be done see my earlier reply.
  • hyundai active blue drive CRDI MK2 GD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:argh:   Jeeeez, All my critical thinking and technical advice goes up in a puff of fluff.

This is looking like a Facebook page.  :undecided: No wonder Dazz likes your work GERARD  :crazy1:

Actually  :goodjob2: :laughter:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal