i30 Owners Club

Clutch - low biting point. Can the pushrod be removed in situ?

Offline DaveBern

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Hello from a new member.  I bought a 2013 GD CRD wagon a few weeks ago with the low clutch issue.  It has 170K Km on it.  Before I bought it I got on the web and read the posts.  Easily fixed by removing the damper, I thought.  I  used this plug:
:link: VSTI16x1.5EDCF | Parker, Steel Hydraulic Blanking Plug, Max Operating Pressure 400 bar, Thread Size M16 x 1.5 | RS Components
Which fitted perfectly.  problem is it made very little difference.
Sticking my head up under the pedals I saw the plastic master cylinder pushrod, and noticed that the clevis eye had worn significantly.  There was an inch of movement at the pedal before the pushrod started moving.  As a trial, I fashioned up a crescent of plastic from a piece of electrical conduit and jammed it in to take up the play.  Clutch is now much better.
I want to bush the plastic rod, or make up a new adjustable one.  Problem is I can't remove it.  Do I need to remove the master cylinder (which looks like a significant job) or can the pushrod be removed in situ?

Thanks
David.
  • GD manual diesel wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Dave,

The main technical contributor to this thread seldom if ever visits the site any more. Let's hope someone else with similar technical expertise in this area can give a definitive answer. being this is a world wide forum with many time zones this can take a few days.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline DaveBern

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Thanks Lorian.  I've seen that thread.  It's hard to see in the photo, but perhaps there was a washer swaged onto the end of that shaft.  That's an FD, where as the GD has an all plastic shaft as well as a plastic master cylinder.  It looks like I either have to try and do the job in situ, or remove the master cylinder which is a fairly big job if the FD explanation given in that thread applied to the GD too.
  • GD manual diesel wagon

Offline DaveBern

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia

Offline DaveBern

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
just an update.  The plastic piece I jammed in actually seems to be holding up.  10 days of daily use and no change in pedal position.  A look at the master cylinder confirms it is indeed a "bayonet mount" type, so removing it is really easy.  The only issue is containing the fluid as it feeds from the brake reservoir which contains quite a lot of fluid.  As the quick fix is holding up, there is no real urgency, but when I do fix it I'll show the results.
So, in summary from reading all the posts, it appears the the low clutch pedal can be due to a myriad of reasons, from the damper, to the slave cylinder, master cylinder, pushrod and one owner had to replace the clutch and pressure plate to solve his issue.

• GD manual diesel wagon

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal