i30 Owners Club

Advice regarding miss-fueling of a Diesel vehicle

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not sure where the best place to put this was, but decided I might sticky this here.

It might seem unlikely, but I have known some virtual Einsteins who have miss-fueled their Diesel cars... :-[ :snigger:

In fact i highly recommend fitting a miss-fueling device like this if you are new to diesel motoring or have a mix of vehicles.

Here is one on Ebay

:link: New Genuine SoloDiesel Diesel Engine Protection Misfuelling Prevention Fuel Cap | eBay

Some  Automobile associations sell them cheaper. (Cheap insurance)

:link: Solo Diesel Fuel Cap: SD2 Thread | RAA

Here is one of Auto Expert's better videos explaining the risk (I'm surprised he doesn't suggest a device as above)

:link: What to do if you put petrol (gasoline) in a diesel car | Auto Expert John Cadogan - YouTube

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I’ve done it myself once :) spending more time in the other vehicles was just used to grabbing the other pump, plus being distracted by hot chic at the servo :D

Didn’t realise till I’d completely filled it and put the pump back in place :head_knock: luckily the servo had a siphon so just had to remove the 60ltrs of premium fuel I’d added/wasted and replace with diesel and she was good to go :)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Well if you realise at the time then best thing would be not to crank the engine, push it aside and drain the tank. then refuel with diesel.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well if you realise at the time then best thing would be not to crank the engine, push it aside and drain the tank. then refuel with diesel.

The Einstein I know  :winker: got his i30 towed to a nearby workshop and drained/cleaned. Cost "him" about $150 + a tank of fuel I think.  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

The Einstein I know  :winker: got his i30 towed to a nearby workshop and drained/cleaned. Cost "him" about $150 + a tank of fuel I think.  :disapp:
Sounds like it was worth every penny
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal