i30 Owners Club

Both rear brake lights dont work

Offline iceman2010

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Hi, someone has just told me that neither of the rear brake lights work on i30 2012 UK (2nd gen I think).
The centre led brake works fine and all the other lights work on the rear.
I'm not sure where the brake bullbs actually are where they are on the hatch or the sides of the car body.  The ones in the hatch have the reverse lights and another set of lights which both work.  So i guess they are in the side?

I don't want to start removing the housing as its odd that both bulbs have stopped working so thinking issue is something else.  Last week I did have to drive through a fairly big puddle in the road, maybe the level to the underside of the car so not sure if that might have caused the issue.

Also tried removing the fuse but couldnt get it out!

Any suggestions please?
  • i30 2012 Style Nav 128PS

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Check owners manual. There should be information where they are and how to access them. I would first check the bulbs.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have someone sit in the car put lights on and press the footbrake.

You stand at rear and see which lights don't light up by using handbook to indentify position.

Also, check connections and bulbd are pushed fully home.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline iceman2010

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Thanks for the info.  I took some pictures now that its dark.   The tail gate lights all work and they dont change when the brakes are pressed but the high brake light does come on.  According to the manual the brake lights are on the far right and left which are on but not getting any brighter when brakes are pressed

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 20:43:24 by iceman2010 »
  • i30 2012 Style Nav 128PS

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah that's a GD derivative and the brake bulbs are in the fixed housing, which is quite easy to remove when the two retaining bolts are removed.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal