i30 Owners Club

Yet another DPF/CPF Query

Guest · 9 · 5107

swedishnutlathe
Hi all,

I'm aware this question has been asked a million times in a million formats, but I can't quite figure out an answer for sure.

I have a '2010' Hyundai i30 (FD) 1.6 CRDi auto, that was manufactured in October 2009 and first registered in December 2010. It's a '59 plate' but shows as a 2010 vehicle since it was registered essentially on Christmas. I'm in the UK, so part of the European market as such.

I cannot find out for sure, either from looking myself under the car, looking in my manual, asking around, looking on the forum etc, if I indeed have a CPF/DPF fitted to my car.

My VED/road tax is £150 a year, which is usually a good indicator if you have a DPF but not sure if that applies here. Again emphasis on mine being automatic - A lot of manufacturers, Toyota for example, started fitting DPFs to auto diesels a lot sooner than manuals to meet emissions targets since autos are typically higher emissions, but I'm not sure if Hyundai-Kia did this. The car only meets EURO 4 emissions standards, not EURO 5.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 20:06:46 by swedishnutlathe »

swedishnutlathe
I should also add - I've owned this car for about 5 months now, and do a mixture of stop/start driving and 30 min motorway runs twice a day, and have never once witnessed it do anything i'd refer to as a DPF regen. (I've owned several diesels with DPFs fitted over the years and know very well what this looks/feels like now!)

In addition, again not sure if Hyundai does this but there's no "soot warning" light on my dash. I.E. the little yellow filter with the particles that lights up when there's an issue - I'd expect that to be there on DPF models?

And, last thing I've remembered - the previous owner of my car, told me quite readily that they did tiny stop-start mileages. For example in the last MOT, it did an annual mileage of 1850 miles, so I sort of expected it to have DPF issues because of this. (I know that sort of driving in any car, diesel included, isn't great either)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
First chunky part in the exhaust under your car is dpf or catalythic converter. This would be first horizontal part in the exhaust after engine, located near front axel. If a fuel line goes to that box, it is a dpf. If o2 sensor goes to that, it is cat.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The 1.6CRDi moved from U to U2 engine towards the end of 2009.  my memory gets cloudy but I think that was just for the Czech cars with the 6 speed manual box.  If it's  a U it will have a CPF with no regen not a DPF.  Even the early U2s had the CPF not sure when it switched for autos - whats the first few characters of the VIN?

This is assuming UK market - different all over the place

mu 2009 U2 was £35 VED

bag4life
I'm in the same boat as OP - my road tax is £170 and is apparently euro 4, but hyundai claim i have a DPF which i don't see as being right. surely if I had a DPF/CPF it would be euro 5, and by extension much cheaper road tax?

My VIN starts with TMA, manufactured December 2009, built in Czech, UK car

(I need to know if I have a DPF or not as there's a ULEZ in my city which is minimum euro 5, but euro 4 if fitted with DPF...)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
One thing to try, is entering your VIN into the webform at :link: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World and drill into the exhaust section. That, for sure, will show if you have the dreaded dpf fitted.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

bag4life
Confirmed my late 2009 (VMA vin) i30 FD 1.6 CRDi Auto does *not* have a DPF/CPF.

Exhaust pipe is completely straight from flexi join to mid section muffler box underneath car, and the part attached to the exhaust manifold only has an o2 sensor, no fuel lines going into it.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
5 speed gearbox too I presume? what colour are the insides of the headlights surrounds - silver or black? thats the quick way to tell

black - Czech car
Silver - Ulsan

Offline Muzz258

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Timaru
@sundiz in post 2 nailed it.  No fuel line, but an O2 sensor to the first exhaust element from/part of the manifold is a CAT.  DPF needs a fuel line for re-gen.

The other way to tell is to look at your exhaust pipe.  Black fluffy compounds = CAT, nice clean pipe = DPF.
  • 2015 GD i30 1.6L CRDI Wagon

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal