i30 Owners Club

G4FC engine knock or rattle under load

Pnut · 6 · 4148

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
Driving the wifes 1.6 G4FC FD i have noticed the engine seems to rattle or knock under load a lot more recently. I changed the steering bush a couple of weeks back and i believe it has been worse since that was changed, the only thing i can think of is perhaps disconnecting the battery has reset the ECU and changed some of the fueling and timing it had previously. It would knock occationally before that under high load, but kick it down from 4 to 3 in the auto would fix it, now it is knocking even after dropping back to 3rd.

She runs the car on 91 petrol, i was told this was fine but correct me if i am wrong. I don't know with the modern individual coil engines if there is anyway to make it change the timing to try and correct the noise? Spark plugs were replaced at the last service about 8000km ago.

Anyone got any ideas?
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
Any ideas on correcting detonation? Or correction on the fuel it is supposed to use?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You could try a couple of tanks of 98 to clean up the fuel system and see if that helps, the Excel I used to drive always got the clatters if I continually ran 91 in it.

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
You could try a couple of tanks of 98 to clean up the fuel system and see if that helps, the Excel I used to drive always got the clatters if I continually ran 91 in it.
I will give it a go the next time i drive it. The wife has the habit of somehow knowing when i am going to use her car and leaving it dead empty. The other week it was so low half the lights on the dash were flashing telling her there was no fuel , the ECU couldnt figure out haw to calculate negative km left in the tank, but apparently she didnt see it too busy chatting to someone else in the car... :/

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
...The wife has the habit of somehow knowing when i am going to use her car and leaving it dead empty. The other week it was so low half the lights on the dash were flashing telling her there was no fuel , the ECU couldnt figure out haw to calculate negative km left in the tank, but apparently she didnt see it too busy chatting to someone else in the car... :/
Running fuel tank that low is not a good idea. Unless tank has been flushed during the life of the car, dirt and debris at the bottom of the tank could end up in the fuel line / fuel filter.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
...The wife has the habit of somehow knowing when i am going to use her car and leaving it dead empty. The other week it was so low half the lights on the dash were flashing telling her there was no fuel , the ECU couldnt figure out haw to calculate negative km left in the tank, but apparently she didnt see it too busy chatting to someone else in the car... :/
Running fuel tank that low is not a good idea. Unless tank has been flushed during the life of the car, dirt and debris at the bottom of the tank could end up in the fuel line / fuel filter.
No argument from me there, however i am not going to start that argument with her... again  lol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal