i30 Owners Club

Car feels like slipping when turning

Cosmic · 5 · 8621

Offline Cosmic

• 1st Gear
 Hi ,I recently started to notice something weird happening with my  car  : When I'm reversing and turning at low speed    to come out of my drive  ( for example )and also turning to take a tight corner to the left ,  again at low speed, the front passenger wheel feels like it  "slips " for a second ;  The best way I can describe it is when you are turning slow and you hit a patch of ice in the winter and for a second it feels like your input from the steering wheel isn't moving the tire; i believe it only happens when the stirring  wheel is turned to the left almost to full lock ;
Does anyone have an idea what this might be?
Thank you in advance
  • I30 EDITION 1.4 PETROL 2013

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
If this is happening at home, do you have someone who can video (or at least observe) the front wheel as you apply the turn.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline Cosmic

• 1st Gear
Thank you for your suggestion but another thing that i forgot to mention is that it doesn`t  happen all the time and that makes it more tricky ; the car has been to the garage to be checked and nothing wrong was found but you would think that if everything was checked at the wheel`s end the problem would be identified, don`t you
  • I30 EDITION 1.4 PETROL 2013

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
It's really an odd sounding issue. Have you ever had the steering coupler replaced? Stupid little piece of rubber that disintegrates and causes lack of feel accompanied by some clunking. I'm thinking (and not claiming to be correct, just a thought) that yours may be starting to fall apart - if you're always doing a hard LHD to get out of driveway. If it was tie rods ends you would want to hope that the mech picked that up.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My first thought would have been to check the condition of the tyres and they are at the correct pressure.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal