i30 Owners Club

Reverse camera to fit Axis AX1870CP

lemerv · 4 · 2573

Offline lemerv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I'm looking to pull the trigger and upgrade my 2014 i30. I found this post ( :link: Quality Japanese CarPlay aftermarket unit (Axis AX-1870CP) - 9 (yes!) and self-installed for unde) by @aranciataoz that talks about the Axis unit, which fits nicely into my budget. I also want to get a reverse camera to go with this unit.

I'm a bit lost though on exactly what I need. I can see the Axis has RCA video input, so all good. But I want to make sure that when I put the car in reverse, the Axis unit automatically switches to the rear camera view on screen with the reversing guides/lines.

It seems there are two parts to this:
1. Wiring the camera into the reverse light on the car to provide power (and I suppose to also to turn it on)
2. Wiring *something* into the Axis head unit to tell it when the car is in reverse and to show the camera feed

I'm confused about point 2. Can anyone explain how that works (specifically with the Axis unit if you know) and also recommend a camera that will do this (I'm pretty sure its to do with having the right wires on the RCA cables, but not sure)?

Thanks
  • 2022 i30 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto and a 2014 GD 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto

Offline JewelAV

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Albury NSW
Hi lemerv,

If its this one:
https://audioxtra.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/AX1870CP-Instruction-Manual_MASTER.pdf

It's very straight forward.  The RCA plug on a camera will connect to the 'camera in' plug on the harness.
I would connect 12v from the reverse lamp to the 'reverse' wire on the harness. This tells the head unit to display the reverse camera.
To power the camera, you could use the 12v from the reverse lamp so the camera powers on when in reverse, but I personally would power the camera from the accessories, and use the 12v from the reverse lamp to activate head unit as mentioned above.
Its a little more work, but that's my preference.

Some cameras have the guidance lines overlaid already, some don't. I have no idea if the head unit has guidance lines, sorry.

Attached is a snip of the manual showing the harness wiring for the camera.

Cheers,

Jeff
  • 2021 PDV4, 5Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0l, Auto, White

Offline lemerv

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I would connect 12v from the reverse lamp to the 'reverse' wire on the harness. This tells the head unit to display the reverse camera.

Thanks this is the bit I was missing. Right in front of me! I already have the manual I just didn't see that  :Shocked:

To power the camera, you could use the 12v from the reverse lamp so the camera powers on when in reverse, but I personally would power the camera from the accessories, and use the 12v from the reverse lamp to activate head unit as mentioned above.

So do you mean that the camera would always be powered on when the car is on. But the screen would only flick to video feed when the car reverse lamp gets power (from putting the car in reverse)?

That would mean I still need to run a wire from the reverse light to the "reverse" cable on the head unit to achieve this? But for camera power, I can just grab it from anywhere with 12v. Have I understood that correctly?

Thanks
  • 2022 i30 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto and a 2014 GD 5d Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto

Offline JewelAV

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Albury NSW
Yes the wire for the reverse lamps goes to the head unit reverse wire. And yes, the camera can be poewerd from any 12v, but advise it's on the accessories circuit so the camera is not always on, with the chance of draining the battery.

• 2021 PDV4, 5Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0l, Auto, White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal