i30 Owners Club

I30 GD: Rust found

wbm00 · 8 · 3256

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
While giving the i30 a wash, noticed what I thought was a tar spot, which upon closer inspection turned out to be rust:

Not sure what to do now - clearly needs action otherwise it'll spread and in the second photo there is a smaller spot visible at the 5 o'clock position.

This is a 2014 GD and while the 5 year warranty has lapsed, the anti-perforation warranty is still in force. Inspections were done at the required intervals. What do you folks think?
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hmm... pretty sure the warranty inspection guy will say that it's been caused externally, and not as a result of perforation emanating from within.

That said, the bubbling suggests otherwise. Worth having them take a look tho.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 21:56:59 by Shambles »
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Think warranty is inside to outside to be covered.

Personally I would take it to dealer and see what they say then argue re other bubbling.

Do you have good relationship with dealer as this can help when they are looking at warranty claims.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Thank you both, I will get it to the dealer.

They know this car as they supplied it and have serviced it since then. They also dealt with the recurring brake caliper fault that has affected a large number of Hyundai vehicles and they've been pleasant through the process even though Hyundai UK told them to cover up the fault and lie to the customer that there was no problem.

I'm prepared for them to explain away that it's stone chip damage, but not sure that the stone chip theory would explain the other spot of rust. There may even be a third spot at the 8 o'clock position from the main spot in the second photo.

Will keep you informed how it goes.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just a thought.....
 When was it last inspected?

If recent then looking at the photo it should have, both issues, been picked up at the check.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
It was last seen by the dealership only 5 months ago. But I'd have noticed this had it been visible then, as I gave the car a coat of autoglym SRP and EGP which involved working in detail on all panels in preparation for winter.

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Response from Hyundai UK:

"The Anti Perforation Warranty (APW) covers the vehicle for the corrosion caused when a panel rusts from the inside to the outside and would normally occur where water is able to “pool” which accelerates the corrosive effect. This would then result in a hole appearing hence the term perforation.
From the picture supplied and given its location (there would be no water pooling at this point) this is not a perforation but appears to be a rust spot caused by a chip or impact of some sort. This would not be considered to be a defect which is covered by the APW."

No comment on the other rust spots that are yet to break through the surface of the paint where there is clearly no damage. The dealer has pointed me to the repairer they use (a local bodyshop with good reputation) if I wished to have work done at my cost.

What would you do next?

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Hyundai have been "investigating" this since the post above and still don't have an update as of my latest contact with them.

They must be working really hard on this as I'm sure they wouldn't keep a customer waiting for nearly two months, only to say no... :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal