i30 Owners Club

i30 PD active LED headlights

nogun · 275 · 55991

Dantrasy
I got the JW direct fit h7’s on Tuesday and they need an adapter to fit. I have some adapters on the way from stedi. Will update when I get them.

Do the bulbs come apart so that you can fit the locking adapter behind the h7 ring?

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
There’s a little tab thing that all h7 bulbs have that can come off but everything else is one piece. You can also adjust the direction of the LED chips.
  • 2019 i30 go, manual, white

Dantrasy
ok, sounds good then. Thanks.

The h7 ring comes off (lifts up passed the leds I presume). Then the locking adapter goes on. Then the h7 ring goes back on.

I was worried the h7 ring was fixed in place/ attached to the body.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Yeah the ring comes off past the leds so you can put the adapter on then the ring back.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah the ring comes off past the leds so you can put the adapter on then the ring back.
That’s a bonus :goodjob2: InVision sales told me the other day the direct fit bulbs didn’t come apart :rolleyes:

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
They don’t know their product then lol

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They don’t know their product then lol
Yes and I’ll be calling their sales manager tomorrow to confirm and re-educate  :evil:

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

Now that iv worked out pictures ( I think ) this is what the bulb looks like taken apart. Also the built in CANbus works perfectly no errors on my dash when I tested them.

Dantrasy
Thanks for the pic.

My JW Direct Fit H7 bulbs are due to arrive tomorrow.

I already have the locking adapters. I tested the adapters with a regular halogen and the bulb snaps into the adapter nicely. 

Will you remove the whole headlight to fit them? I think I will. I have some osram night breaker high beam halogens I want to fit too.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
Nah going to try and put them in leaving the headlight in place i changed the h7’s to osram cool blue intense with the headlights still in the car so hopefully the leds will be nearly as easy to fit.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for the pic Brendon :goodjob2: now I know the locking ring is removable I've ordered myself some :)

Greatwall parts on eBay has them for $112.50 currently :link: JW Speaker H7 LED 6000K DIRECT FIT LED GLOBE - BUILT IN CANBUS pair 12-24V | eBay

Offline Georgevagelas

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Kavala
Dantrasy, when you will connect the bulbs into headlight can you please take some photos and upload them like a tutorial for noobies like me? It would be really useful..  :wink:
  • i30 fastback DCT

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

You got yours for a good price i paid $138.97 for mine.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You got yours for a good price i paid $138.97 for mine.
Best I could find at this stage :happydance:

Dantrasy
Dantrasy, when you will connect the bulbs into headlight can you please take some photos and upload them like a tutorial for noobies like me? It would be really useful..  :wink:

Sure, I’ll take some pics and try to document the process. I’ll aim to do it next weekend.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Just ordered 2 sets of the direct fit from great wall parts - they accepted offer of $100ea for 2 pairs. May not do any better than $112.50 for one pair but doesn't hurt to try guys. Wifey not so impressed  :rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
BARGAIN !!  :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

• 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black

Now that iv worked out pictures ( I think ) this is what the bulb looks like taken apart. Also the built in CANbus works perfectly no errors on my dash when I tested them.

they are so small! looking forward to reviews and hopefully sample images of the light output/throw/pattern

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland

So does anyone know if these are %100 needed in the headlights? I had to take mine off the dust cover as that’s the only way the dust covers will go back on.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Pretty sure the material is reduce condensation in the light.
Time will tell.

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

So does anyone know if these are %100 needed in the headlights? I had to take mine off the dust cover as that’s the only way the dust covers will go back on.

i think they can be removed, mine doesn't come with the extra attachment in the dust cover.

Offline BrendonL

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      East Maitland
I couldn’t get the passenger side light in with the housing still in the car so I’m going to have to take the headlights out on the weekend, don’t really want to on a car that’s less then a month old but it looks easy so I’ll see on the weekend.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Should be able to slip the moisture pouch inside the housing somewhere hopefully  :undecided: mine doesn't have them on the covers but there are some pouches in the housing.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 10:22:44 by CraigB »

Dantrasy
I've run into a snag while trying to fit the lights. 

What you see below is the after market locking adapter with the H7 ring from the jw lights. The ring lightly snaps into place, but will fall out of place very easily.

When fitting into the car's housing the ring isn't pressed up against the car. There's a 2-3mm gap.

So when fitting everything in place the H7 ring shifts out of place and the light wobbles. 

it would seem the original halogen was held in place by the 2 prong electrical connection. The LED light is not held in place by the electrical connection.

Any ideas?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You need to make a spacer  between the ring and headlight  :undecided: ,
Yes ?

Dantrasy
Seems so.

Cut rings out of a Milo lid?

This is more than I was expecting.

Dantrasy
Playing around with it some more, I discovered the bulb snaps tight into the adapter. The h7 ring however, can not fit back where it belongs. the bulb is now pushed forward a bit and the h7 ring hits the wide part of the bulb stopping it from going into its proper place on the adapter.

This is an option, but maybe not the best.

Ideally, we need to sandwich the adapter between the base of the bulb (where the heat sink starts) and the h7 ring. Some washers between the base and the adapter might be the answer. 

I found a rubber washer that holds everything in place tight. Just need to find a metal washer that will do the same thing. Or heat resistant rubber like o-ring with a wide edge.

First the washer goes on, that the adapter, then the H7 ring is pushed down and tighten with the tiny hex tool. Everything holds together solid. See this pic:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Didn’t you get the same adapters as Brendon? He hasn’t mentioned them not fitting correctly  :confused:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal