i30 Owners Club

i30 PD active LED headlights

nogun · 275 · 56003

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Thanks for the detailed descriptions. I haven't seen the fitting in my car, but I've felt around in there and it twists to lock (I swapped the stock halogens for Night Breakers I had from a previous car).

I understand a locking adapter is needed. So unless the JW kit comes with some type of magic interchangeable-adjustable-adapter for all cars, I'll be buying the Hyundai adapter Purplehazeffc and I linked to above.   

@Purplehazeffc - Do the dust caps on your PD have a moisture absorbing pouch built into them? Mine does. I saw a vid where it was suggested to remove the pouch (held in place with a bracket and screws) to free up some depth (maybe 2cm) for the led headlight connection.

Mine are just all plastic.  Nothing at all on the caps..  Interesting that yours does.
Iv'e not got the caps on mine ATM.  As I can't get the stock holders in & put the cap on. As I think the LED's I have are just a bit to long.
I do have shorter ones ordered that should allow the caps to fit..    The LED's make a huge difference
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Here's a little more info on the JW direct fit bulbs :link: LED Headlight Conversion Kit ? Direct Fit ? Invision Sales

It does mention that some vehicles might require the extra CANbus unit depending on how technical their system is, hard to know if needed until they've been tested though :neutral:

The Hyundai CANbus system is quite basic compared to VW so hopefully it wont be required, my built in CANbus indicator bulbs work fine on my car but when I tried them in my brothers Amarok it spat the dummy :disapp:

Dantrasy
Well I purchased some locking adapters.

When the JW bulbs arrive I'll be sure to post pics of the box contents.

And for the sake of pics (and ease), I'm thinking I'll remove the whole headlight from the car to attempt the change over.

I'll wait and see if the built in canbus decoder is good enough. If a dash error occurs or hyperflashing I guess I'll get some canbus modules, like these: :link: (PAIR) JW Speaker 25W 21W Load Resistor CANbus LED Control Unit ERROR Canceler | eBay

I have installed rear led indicators with built in canbus too, (from Classic Car LEDs, 700 lumen). They work fine. The whole back of the car is now led (i.e swapped out the reverse lights too). If I swap out the front indicators with the same led lights, Classic Car LEDs says I might need to wire in an additional module to prevent canbus issues. That will be the next job, after the JW upgrade. 

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I think you will be OK with the CANBUS..
My LED's didn't even say that they have in built CANBUS. But they are working just fine with no errors.

As Craig said above.  Hyundai's CANBUS looks quite basic & not so sensitive.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I have installed rear led indicators with built in canbus too, (from Classic Car LEDs, 700 lumen). They work fine. The whole back of the car is now led (i.e swapped out the reverse lights too). If I swap out the front indicators with the same led lights, Classic Car LEDs says I might need to wire in an additional module to prevent canbus issues. That will be the next job, after the JW upgrade.
If the indicator bulbs are these :link: 1 x Canbus BRIGHT AMBER LED INDICATOR BULB No Hyperflash BAU15S PY21W ? Classic Car LEDs Ltd you won’t need any extra resistors when replacing the front, they work great  :goodjob2:

Dantrasy
Yes, they are the ones I placed in the rear.

Thanks for letting me know they'll work in the front too :)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
@Crustycottage 'I have ordered a set of LEDs from these guys Cherry Tuning & Performance $145 all up, i will let you know when they arrive and fitted :link: PD (2017+) i30 LED Headlight Upgrade'

Interested to know the outcome. They look promising.

Sorry for long delay working away in Hill Billy Hell and now have flu.  :blubber: I fitted all LEDs which went ok apart from glue failing on the H7 adapter ring. I informed the supplier and they have now changed their glue so should not be a problem in future.

You need to pull the terminal block connectors apart from original bulb ring to connect to H7 canbus resistor plug which is quite easy with flat bladed screwdriver. Fitting it all back in low beam headlight assembly is tight but doable, and cover goes back not problems. The HB3 LEDs main beams are more fiddly, especially on passenger side with less room with battery compartment. the 3 tangs don't quite match existing bulb so a bit of suck it and see until they rotate and lock in position. Again squeeze canbus resistor & plug connector into main beam assembly and replace dust cover.

As CraigB said they do have a fan on back of heatsink which comes on with LED. I suppose i compare it to my PC Intel processor fan which just keeps spinning keeping chip cool. Only used headlights for 45 minutes runs so far with no issues. A whiter light but not tried in unlit streets as not feeling up for driving anywhere right now.

I will give more updates after some decent testing
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline pandateo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
:link: Pair Philips H7 12000LM LED Headlight KIT White Beam Replace Xenon Halogen Globe | eBay

These look identical to the JW speaker ones at half the price. Description says it may need canbus though.
  • i30 nline

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:link: Pair Philips H7 12000LM LED Headlight KIT White Beam Replace Xenon Halogen Globe | eBay

These look identical to the JW speaker ones at half the price. Description says it may need canbus though.

Welcome. That's a great find. I assume genuine philips and a premium seller. If I was keeping my car I'd be trying some of those!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Dantrasy

I've been trying to work these out. Different brand names in different countries with slightly different specs can get confusing.

These have 2 extra chips per bulb compared to the JW direct fit ones, and claim a much higher lumen output (6000 per bulb vs 1800). They also have a higher wattage (18w vs 16w) and lower operating temp range (max 80c vs max 130c).

Construction is different too. JW use 1070 aluminum, the ones linked above use 6063 (no idea what that means, requires a google search, might explain the heat range difference).

99% sure they'll be 'Philips style' chips (cps), just like the JW bulbs.

These one (from the US) seem identical to the JW direct fit range, even the brand name is similar: :link: Headlight Revolution PerfectFIT LED Headlights, H7 Bulbs - Headlight Revolution

Guess it depends what you're looking for. The best thing about all these bulbs is the potential for them to fit inside the light enclosure with the dust cap in place. The 6000 lumen bulbs will be really bright (approx x6 stock halogen), whereas the JW will be approx x2. x2 seems like more of a normal driving experience to me, but others might like the extra light.   

Maybe @Purplehazeffc fitted 6000 lumen bulbs and can comment?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:00:35 by Dantrasy »

guest12451
The 6000 lumen bulbs will be really bright (approx x6 stock halogen), whereas the JW will be approx x2.
Ebay/AliEx lumens claims are always very, very exaggerated - whereas when a known brand puts it on their website it's far more accurate - so there's no way in the world they're even close to 6000 lumens - I'd expect them to be very similar to the 'known' JW rating.

The best thing about all these bulbs is the potential for them to fit inside the light enclosure with the dust cap in place.
Are we sure it's a good thing to have temperature sensitive electronics stuffed in a sealed environment? 

Complete laymen's view but it's one thing for a halogen bulb to be in there - as for all intents and purposes the heat it generates won't significantly affect it - but for an LED bulb, whether it's active or passively cooled I would question if the sealed dust cap being on is a good thing.

There's pretty cheaply available aftermarket dust covers that allow the heatsink/fan of the LED to exit out, thus in theory releasing most of the heat outside of the sealed light housing.

Cheap vented dust cover

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Not sure of what the Lumens output that I have got.

As Nikko mentioned. eBay listings can be exaggerated by quite a bit.  It's the same when looking at the cheaper range of Projectors.

The ones that I have don't look like they are listed. When i click on the Item I purchased.
It takes me to these ones. Which do look Identical. Except mine are silver & these are in gold.
:link: H7 OSRAM LED Headlight Kit 1150W 172500LM Conversion Globes Bulbs Low Beam 6500K | eBay

Iv'e now had mine on for just over a week. And have had no problems. As mentioned I do have the dust covers OFF.
As it would be a very tight squeeze getting everything in. But I do know that the heat sink does get pretty warm.
To the point you can't touch it for any longer that a cpl of seconds.
The light looks quite evenly spread & nice & white.  And brighter than std halogens.  Buy how much?  Not sure.
But is a worthwhile upgrade..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The 6000 lumen bulbs will be really bright (approx x6 stock halogen), whereas the JW will be approx x2.
Ebay/AliEx lumens claims are always very, very exaggerated - whereas when a known brand puts it on their website it's far more accurate - so there's no way in the world they're even close to 6000 lumens - I'd expect them to be very similar to the 'known' JW rating.
If the Philips bulbs are listed at 6000lm each then I’d expect it to be so, I’ve seen LEDs much brighter than mentioned so 6000lm is well within capable expectations and would work fine in the high beam side.

There is also no problem using Narva Philips or JW passive bulbs in a sealed housing, they been made specifically to fit inside these enclosures and the Philips lumiled chips used on all three brands will not fade lenses.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:31:30 by CraigB »

guest12451
If the Philips bulbs are listed at 6000lm each then I’d expect it to be so, I’ve seen LEDs much brighter than mentioned so 6000lm is well within capable expectations and would work fine in the high beam side.
On what basis exactly?  These are not an official Philips product, rather a generic chinese make being onsold via an Ebay seller under a random name - LightFox.  So you think the Ebay seller has tested these to verify the lumens figure or do you believe this is one of the honest chinese manufacturers and they're giving an honest accurate figure? 

Yeah I've seen ones a lot brighter too - but what that has to do with a pair of $50 generic bulbs I'm unsure - as thats exactly NOT within 'capable expectations' and it's known these guys just trot out a random lumens claim to make the item seem better than it is as most plonkers just buy based on that.

So anyway do tell why you feel this specific seller/item is expected by you to be accurate?

There is also no problem using Narva Philips or JW passive bulbs in a sealed housing, they been made specifically to fit inside these enclosures and the Philips lumiled chips used on all three brands will not fade lenses.
There's a difference between something being a 'problem' and 'not ideal' - and I'm going to proceed with it being a fact that the lifespan of LEDs is dramatically impacted by exposure to high temps as thats a pretty well established general fact.

So could you use top tier LEDs in a sealed housing without any 'problem'?  For all intents and purposes it's possible but I think it's more than likely they'd live much longer on average if they had some way of getting their heat out of a closed environment and given those or any other number of after market dust caps are available for under $5 each delivered - I'm unsure why one would chose to instead lock the heat in the housing.

And I'm sorry but many of even the top tier brands will not fit in many cars headlight fittings - I need look no further than my own PD's highbeams to assure you very few LEDs would fit inside - so the reality is most people's housings were made to have a non-heat affected halogen bulb inside - so sealing this up wasn't an issue - but if you do the same with a known heat affected LED bulb - well IMHO thats maybe not a 'problem' but it will definitely impact the lifespan of the LED and for less than top tier models this may well be a 'problem' as they're less well made and as such more likely to suffer early failure if subject to high temps.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
WOW ! ,
So much discussion on poor performing headlight low & high beam. 
:disapp:  :spitty:
Maybe a night time test drive should be added as one of the things to do when deciding on which vehicle to buy.  :mrgreen:  :whistler:
If  I've said it once, I've said it 10 million times:
People always exaggerate things, we all do .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
WOW ! ,
Maybe a night time test drive should be added as one of the things to do when deciding on which vehicle to buy.  :mrgreen:  :whistler:

Such a long discussion lol. But at the end I haven’t seen any pictures of actual fittings and the pattern of light output here.
Maybe wait for @Dantrasy then.
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
On what basis exactly?  These are not an official Philips product, rather a generic chinese make being onsold via an Ebay seller under a random name - LightFox.  So you think the Ebay seller has tested these to verify the lumens figure or do you believe this is one of the honest chinese manufacturers and they're giving an honest accurate figure? 

Yeah I've seen ones a lot brighter too - but what that has to do with a pair of $50 generic bulbs I'm unsure - as thats exactly NOT within 'capable expectations' and it's known these guys just trot out a random lumens claim to make the item seem better than it is as most plonkers just buy based on that.

So anyway do tell why you feel this specific seller/item is expected by you to be accurate?

You do realise all Lumiled chips are Philips and that most of our Philips lighting products are made in the Chinese Philips company anyway, whether they have rebranded or generic Lightfox housings they are essentially still Philips.

Lightfox are a very popular brand in China so not unusual to see them being sold here via a popular Australia seller.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
And I'm sorry but many of even the top tier brands will not fit in many cars headlight fittings - I need look no further than my own PD's highbeams to assure you very few LEDs would fit inside - so the reality is most people's housings were made to have a non-heat affected halogen bulb inside - so sealing this up wasn't an issue - but if you do the same with a known heat affected LED bulb - well IMHO thats maybe not a 'problem' but it will definitely impact the lifespan of the LED and for less than top tier models this may well be a 'problem' as they're less well made and as such more likely to suffer early failure if subject to high temps.
I know many of the bulbs wont fit, that's why we are discussing a specific few that have the ability to fit, and the more recent ones are possibly able to fit inside the dust caps without extendable rubber boots and without having the wiring and plug base exposed inside the engine bay to even more heat and dirt.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
WOW ! ,

Such a long discussion lol. But at the end I haven’t seen any pictures of actual fittings and the pattern of light output here.
Maybe wait for @Dantrasy then.

I'm more than happy to put up a photo of the lights at night..   But I'm on nightshift for the next to nights.
But I'll upload one later on in the week.

I do agree that these put out a bit of heat. But how much more heat output compared to a halogen globe?
Due to the size of the heatsink on my LED's. I'm unable to fit everything in & put on the cap.
And if I could. Either the original globe holder or wires would be touching the heatsink, with a possibility of melting..
The LED's do have a silicone ring around the base. That seals the globe in the housing. So dirt can get in there anyway

guest12451
I do agree that these put out a bit of heat. But how much more heat output compared to a halogen globe?
Funny you say this as I was surprised to have literally just read an article that said even energy efficient modern LEDs end up converting only 35% of their power to light, with 65% of it going to heat!

Halogens are approx 90% heat! There's a reason they're used for making heat lamps.

The figures vary - but those are roughly indicative.

Maybe consider getting some extended rubber boots/caps - lots of styles available and you can pick to suit the LEDs you got.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You do realise all Lumiled chips are Philips and that most of our Philips lighting products are made in the Chinese Philips company anyway, whether they have rebranded or generic Lightfox housings they are essentially still Philips.
And you do realise that faking Philips automotive LEDs is so widespread that they had to start putting check codes on their boxes so people could ensure it was actually a genuine Philips item - likewise if you check listings on Ebay and AliEx you'll see the sellers will be very canny in saying it's a 'Lumiled' or ZES chip but avoid saying Philips - as there's a big business in making it seem like they're legit when they're quite possibly not.
Yes yes we all know of the copies out there that are replicating the housings as even the good copies will still use genuine chips.

COB LEDs are very easy to fake/replicate which is not the case with lumileds, if were so easy Narva - JW and many more would produce their own rather than using the Philips tech in their designs.

Your googling skills require improvement if you can’t find Lightfox as they are huge :link: Lightfox LED Light Bars | Driving Lights | Australia ? lightfoxau

The eBay seller is an Australian international distributor :link: Offroad Lighting | Camping Store | Australia? sunyee

Vicoffroad Australia another big seller of Lightfox :link: Pair LED Headlight Kit Driving Lamp H7 High Low Beam Globe bulbs upgrade deisgn

Going backwards and forwards over details I’ve been researching for years is getting rather tiresome so if the constant skepticism is your goal here I’d suggest taking it up on another forum that likes to deal with people like yourself, I know I’ve had just about enough of it :rolleyes:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I’ve attended similar displays in Singapore and Japan though not this one but shows like here :link: LED CHINA 2019 Shanghai Show | September 18-20 | Home have vast amounts of knowledge and advice on hand and where you’d be really surprised with who actually makes what.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I’ve attended similar displays in Singapore and Japan though not this one but shows like here :link: LED CHINA 2019 Shanghai Show | September 18-20 | Home have vast amounts of knowledge and advice on hand and where you’d be really surprised with who actually makes what.
So it's similar to beer, discount food items, air conds, tv's, computer parts, furniture  and even car tyres. Many brands, but few manufacturers.
While I've got you, what do you recommend as a  replacement for the high beams in Santa?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Dantrasy I had a nice long chat with Invision sales today, unfortunately the Direct Fit bulbs are one piece which will make it near impossible to fit an adaptor :Pout:

Invision are also well informed on the i30 light housing dilemma but unfortunately they have no answers at this stage and only recommend the new 4000 series projector range which they ensure will fit the i30 low beams (even though a little tighter fit) and they don't supply adaptors or dust caps at this stage :link: LED Headlight Conversion Kit ? Model Evolution 4000 ? Projector Range ? Invision Sales

Invision are looking into making the direct fit bulbs as a complete kit for the i30 at some stage, this would entail bulbs pre fitted with the correct adaptor and also includes extended dust caps, they just produced this type of kit for the Mazda BT50/Ford Ranger which was in development for the last two years so likely it'll be a couple of years before being available for our Hyundai's

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
While I've got you, what do you recommend as a  replacement for the high beams in Santa?
What are the bulbs used in their highs? are they spring clip secured? I'm guessing they're a reflector housing :undecided: do you have room for LED's or are you wanting to stay with halogen?

@mickd still one of the best design LED bulbs at a good price I've come across are the Narva's :link: Narva | H7 12/24V LED CONVERSION KIT :link: Narva | Globes - Performance Headlight though those JW Direct fit would be good as well but look to only be usable if you have the spring clip secured bulbs at this stage.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:54:48 by CraigB »

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What are the bulbs used in their highs? are they spring clip secured? I'm guessing they're a reflector housing :undecided: do you have room for LED's or are you wanting to stay with halogen?

@mickd still one of the best design LED bulbs at a good price I've come across are the Narva's :link: Narva | H7 12/24V LED CONVERSION KIT :link: Narva | Globes - Performance Headlight though those JW Direct fit would be good as well but look to only be usable if you have the spring clip secured bulbs at this stage.
Cheers,  will have a squizz and do some measuring and a couple of pics  :goodjob:

Dantrasy
@Dantrasy I had a nice long chat with Invision sales today, unfortunately the Direct Fit bulbs are one piece which will make it near impossible to fit an adaptor :Pout:

oh no.  :blubber:

Need to find a plan B now.

Thanks for the info. I hope the seller honours his word about returns.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

oh no.  :blubber:

Need to find a plan B now.

Thanks for the info. I hope the seller honours his word about returns.
Study them first when you get the bits and pieces, you never know :Good_luck: if they were H7's on the high beams like the GD's have you could have transferred them over  :Pout:

Other than that I can only suggest the previously mentioned JW units :link: LED Headlight Conversion Kit ? Model Evolution 4000 ? Projector Range ? Invision Sales or the Narva one's I linked for mickd.

You'll need different dustcaps for the larger heat sink units from what I have picked up on with the PD info about the forum, GD's also require different caps.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I took some photo's of the LED's that I have fitted to my PD SR.

As you can see it is quite a tight fit, hence why I don;t have dust caps fitted
As the Std holders are quite large. I don;t think it helps having the cable come out from the rear like the ones that I have.

You can also see the ball bearing on the globe that clicks into a plastic holder that keeps the globe in place.
It also has the silicone seal when it does click in, that keeps out any dust..
Is it ideal??  No I don't think so. I think an LED globe with a rear fan would be better.
Then an aftermarket dust cap with a hole in the centre would be better.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Purplehazeffc would something like these work :link: 2Pcs Universal Seal Cap Dust Cover 5 Sizes for Car Headlight LED HID Lamp XPT | eBay

If the sizing is correct then there should be enough room to shove everything inside the boot, they'll work fine being enclosed.

I've got a set of these waiting :link: 2Pcs 70mm Inner Dia Rubber Housing Seal Cap Dust Cover for Car LED Headlight WG 609876370981 | eBay and when I get around to fitting LED's I'll core drill the factory dustcaps and mount the boot from the inside, the GD has just enough room to place the plug and wiring in the housing before installing the bulbs...I hope :fingers:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal