i30 Owners Club

i30 PD active LED headlights

nogun · 275 · 56003

Dantrasy
@Crustycottage 'I have ordered a set of LEDs from these guys Cherry Tuning & Performance $145 all up, i will let you know when they arrive and fitted :link: PD (2017+) i30 LED Headlight Upgrade'

Interested to know the outcome. They look promising.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Crustycottage 'I have ordered a set of LEDs from these guys Cherry Tuning & Performance $145 all up, i will let you know when they arrive and fitted :link: PD (2017+) i30 LED Headlight Upgrade'

They do look promising. I would have been very tempted had I not traded mine.  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

guest12451

Hope they work out for you - the price is quite competitive being that they're 4 bulbs in all for both the high and lows.  That said I wonder how many of the 12000 claimed lumens, which I am sure is a bit of an exaggeration - is for the high and lows?   Hopefully they haven't gone too crazy on the latters which would have the potential to get you into issues if pulled over.

Also I'm a little surprised that they're using LEDs in the PD's high beam reflector housings - as I'd heard this was very much a no-no, just about everything online about doing this says simply don't even try.   It looks good from the image of the car in the ad but you'd really have to see the light pattern at night, then again if you're main using it in an urban area that might not be so much of an issue but would welcome hearing how you find the high beam pattern on an open dark road when you get them.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Iv'e got LED's in the normal beams.  I hardly use high beam to warrant me putting them in.
So far so good with a good spread of light.
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I'm going to try the new JW Speaker "direct fits" in the GD when I have some spending money (thanks solar panels). Once I do I'll report back, could be a very good option if truly a no fuss solution. No pricing as yet as haven't looked but would expect around the $200 mark.

:link: LED Headlight Conversion Kit ? Direct Fit ? Invision Sales

Edit - checked eBay, can be had under $140 - nice
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:27:50 by josh1990 »

Dantrasy
I'd like to get some LED headlights too.

My search led me to this website. You can get a refund if not happy. And the site lists my 2019 N Line.

However, the shape of the low beam projector doesn't look conventional to me, quite different to the likes of Philips X-treme Ultinon.

https://www.stedi.com.au/hyundai-getz-i30-elantra-sante-fe-sonata-iload-imax-ix35-led-light-upgrade-conversion-kit.html

guest12451
No pricing as yet as haven't looked but would expect around the $200 mark.

They look nice - my only thoughts on them are, how do they cool themselves as no passive heatsink and don't appear to have a fan either. Odd that in the listing they claim to have inbuilt canbus module but then also say they suggest people consult an auto sparky before buying to see if they need an extra canbus module - can't imagine why you'd need 2 modules for each light but I'm no pro in this sphere. They also claim ultra long life but give no tested minimum/average hours of use - which is pretty standard in the electronics/tech sector. They do look very compact and simple though, but IMHO thats going to come with significant tradeoffs likely affecting lifespan.

My search led me to this website. You can get a refund if not happy. And the site lists my 2019 N Line.
I'll give them credit they have some nice guides there, which are handyish to read. A lot of typos and grammar errors on their website. The products do look nice enough but still some errors in their listings - basic stuff like ciaming their passive headsinks are 100% copper when clearly they're coated with nickel or similar - so not 100% copper.

Call me dubious but I'd want to find someone who has returned their LEDs and gotten a full no questions refund first before I assumed they'd honour this.  Only thing I didn't like so much was that they were good enought to highlight the differences between reflector and projector headlight housings but they didn't explain how this affected their products and how they performed in them. FWIW coming from computer tech hobby copper as the material used in a passive heatsink is NOT very good - copper is a great conductor of heat, but in terms of dissipating it no where near as good as aluminium - so the heatsinks they claim as 100% copper would be best having copper just where they meet the LED's base but then aluminium braiding to get rid of the heat.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
There is also the option for these. Guaranteed to fit

LED upgrade for the non-Premium model PD (2017+) i30.

Replaces the low and high beam bulbs with 6000K (White) LED bulbs.

The bulbs are CANBUS bulbs, so they don't cause any errors with the computer system and are rated at 80W and 12,000 Lumens and are guaranteed to fit the i30 headlight housing, which can't be said of all LED bulbs. In fact, we went through 4 different suppliers trying to find the perfect bulbs to make our kit!
:link: PD (2017+) i30 LED Headlight Upgrade

guest12451
The bulbs are CANBUS bulbs, so they don't cause any errors with the computer system and are rated at 80W and 12,000 Lumens and are guaranteed to fit the i30 headlight housing, which can't be said of all LED bulbs. In fact, we went through 4 different suppliers trying to find the perfect bulbs to make our kit!
The bummer with those is they're ridiculously slim on info - lumens from HB /LB? Warranty? Plus you'd expect info on the fan noise, LEDs used etc - they might be great but they're putting in less effort in selling these than I do when I list old junk on Gumtree.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm going to try the new JW Speaker "direct fits" in the GD when I have some spending money (thanks solar panels). Once I do I'll report back, could be a very good option if truly a no fuss solution. No pricing as yet as haven't looked but would expect around the $200 mark.

Edit - checked eBay, can be had under $140 - nice
Now those ones look interesting  :goodjob2: they have the same lumileds as the Narva units and also the correct end cap to replicate the H7 halogen design like Narva so there should be no problems with cut off lines in projector or reflector :goodjob: https://invisionsales.com/product-specs/999007/ you’ll likely still require canbus adaptors, though that is nothing unusual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There is also the option for these. Guaranteed to fit

LED upgrade for the non-Premium model PD (2017+) i30.

Replaces the low and high beam bulbs with 6000K (White) LED bulbs.

I looked at these the other day when Crustycottage put them up, wasn’t impressed with the bulb design as it doesn’t replicate the halogen design in any shape or form, the Cob LEDs used are also very cheap and nasty old tech :disapp: I didn’t realise when first inspecting they used fans :Shocked: another big no no :disapp: fan enclosed in sealed light housings don’t work correctly and when the fan decides to stop working you then have issues with excessive heat and probable cause of fire :eek:

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

• 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black

They do look promising. I would have been very tempted had I not traded mine.  :Pout:

Dazz you traded your car away? what's the next car? i30N? :)
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black

Dantrasy
So the JW Speaker Direct Fit H7 LED bulbs are a straight swap with built in canbus.

No adapter, no rubber boot to increase rear space, no module to poke into an already cramped space.

Lumens aren't super high, but still more than regular halogen.

This is looking like the one I'll try. eBay has them for $112.50.

The Direct Fit range might be new, can't seem to find reviews or beam pattern pics. 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Only real concern with the JW bulbs are if an adapter is able to be fitted to secure the low beams in place :undecided:

guest12451
another big no no :disapp: fan enclosed in sealed light housings don’t work correctly and when the fan decides to stop working you then have issues with excessive heat and probable cause of fire
A passive heatsink is going to effectively be no better than a fan in an enclosed environment at dissipating heat - if anything the fans might even be a tad superior BUT as you pointed out they can fail due to the heat or other reasons and then poor heat dispersion turns to catastrophic and bad things happen. The enclosed environment is the real killer as while halogens can handle it LEDs suffer - I wonder if many folks leave a bit of a gap or something - especially as many units have some level of waterproofing.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Dazz you traded your car away? what's the next car? i30N? :)

Due to doing a lot of long road trips with everything but the kitchen sink we decided to go back to another Hybrid Camry (we previously had 2010 and 2012 models). Bigger boot by 125 litres, quieter and better on fuel by more than 2.5 L/100 kms.

Had I been a bit younger with less health issues and if the i30N fastback had Automated Cruise I might have been tempted by one of those.  :mrgreen:

Here's a bit more about my Camry purchase (Hopefully less than 3 weeks away now)

:link: Naughty Dazz has ordered a new car!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
HB3 on my Ioniq too, have the factory LED low beams but the highs are halogen. Turning them on turns the distant landscape yellow and not very well illuminated, really bugs my eyes. Hyundai really need to learn how to do high beams that illuminate more than the reflectors on the side of the road. I'm gonna switch to LED when it starts getting a bit darker here.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: xiziz
I'm gonna switch to LED when it starts getting a bit darker here.

That'd be around 10pm? :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Dantrasy
I asked an eBay seller some questions about the JW Speaker Direct Fit bulbs. The seller got back saying he/she would ask their supplier.

Here is the response from the supplier:

'The new direct fit globes will have no problem working in your polycarbonate headlights, 95% of the heat is dissipated via the rear of the globe, via the small heatsink.

The globes have no problem working in a confined space with the dust cap on.
There is no reduced performance in the globe with high heat.

If you are interested in purchasing the globes and they don’t fit we offer a 30 day free return, if the packaging is intact and product not used'.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :Shocked:
Go again ! ?
"packaging intact and product not used" 
How else are you going to see if they work?  FFS  :rolleyes:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :whsaid:

I'll be interested to know if they work correctly without the extra inline canbus adaptors :undecided: they certainly look like one of the better designs I've seen recently and even if they do require the inline adaptors they're fairly small now days and have no problem fitting inside the light housing.

Dantrasy
Canbus resistors produce heat, that much is evident by their heat sink body/design.

Will using canbus resistors reduce the heat produce by the bulb?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Canbus resistors produce heat, that much is evident by their heat sink body/design.

Will using canbus resistors reduce the heat produce by the bulb?
Yes, inline adaptors would remove some of the heat before being passed to the bulb, though the adaptors only get warm from my experience so heat shouldn't be to much of a problem with bulbs using better materials in their heatsink designs, I'm more concerned whether the inbuilt canbus will fool the cars warning system without requiring the extra adaptor :undecided:

Did you ask whether the bulbs are removable from their base so that mounting adaptors/lock tabs can be fitted for the low beam lights?

Dantrasy
I did ask if an adapter was needed and linked to here: :link: 2x H7 LED Headlight Bulb Base Holder Adapter Kia K6 Hyundai Tucson Mistra ioniq | eBay

The answer was no. The seller (not the supplier) told me: 'The globes are direct fit there is no extra brackets required'.

That being the case, the ability to remove the top half doesn't seem necessary. Correct if I'm wrong. I'm not 100% certain.

Anyway, I've gone ahead and made the purchase. Hopefully they fit and hopefully the in-built canbus is sufficient for the i30. Worst comes to worse I'll send them back (I'll take care opening the box :p)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Fingers crossed :Good_luck:  I have a feeling that locking adaptors are still going to be required though as the bulb base is longer than the standard bulb which will prohibit the power plug from being able to lock the bulb in.

Dantrasy
Fingers crossed indeed! I hope they live up to the 'Direct Fit' name.

If it turns out I do need locking adapters, are the ones I linked to above the right ones to get?

And am I correct is thinking ... for these locking adapters to be fitted correctly the base of the JW headlight would have to screw off? 

Craig, thanks for your continued interest and support.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They should fit :Good_luck: and yes the H7 ring or base needs to be removeable.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm not 100% certain on that adaptor :undecided: these type would be what fits my GD :link: Pair of H7 Car LED Headlight Bulb LED Adapter Holder LED Adapter Socket Base AZ | eBay

You need to look at the power plug in your low beam housing and see if the three side tabs match up.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I did ask if an adapter was needed and linked to here: :link: 2x H7 LED Headlight Bulb Base Holder Adapter Kia K6 Hyundai Tucson Mistra ioniq | eBay

The answer was no. The seller (not the supplier) told me: 'The globes are direct fit there is no extra brackets required'.

That being the case, the ability to remove the top half doesn't seem necessary. Correct if I'm wrong. I'm not 100% certain.

Anyway, I've gone ahead and made the purchase. Hopefully they fit and hopefully the in-built canbus is sufficient for the i30. Worst comes to worse I'll send them back (I'll take care opening the box :p)

If these are the globes you are looking at.  :link: JW Speaker H7 LED 6000K DIRECT FIT LED GLOBE - BUILT IN CANBUS pair 12-24V | eBay

Then you will 1000% will need adaptors.  The adaptors you linked earlier in the post look like the correct ones. These are the ones that I used.
:link: 2pcs H7 LED Bulbs Clip Holder Adapters Retainer Fit for Hyundai Elantra Tucson | eBay

The LED's that I used are similar to theses ones. Around the base there is a locking ball bearing that clips into the plastic adaptor. The black piece with holes in it.
That just slides off. Then you can mount the plastic holder in the light. Then just push the globe in till it clips into the ball bearing.
:link: H7 OSRAM LED Headlight Kit 1150W 172500LM Conversion Globes Bulbs Low Beam 6500K | eBay

Only problem I'm having is fitting the Hyundai light base into the housing so the cap can be put back on. As there is not a great deal of room in there.

Would of been so much easier if it was still the wire type clip holders.

On the PD, Hyundai really made it hard to put LED's lights in. Due to the mounting for the H7 globes

Dantrasy
Thanks for the detailed descriptions. I haven't seen the fitting in my car, but I've felt around in there and it twists to lock (I swapped the stock halogens for Night Breakers I had from a previous car).

I understand a locking adapter is needed. So unless the JW kit comes with some type of magic interchangeable-adjustable-adapter for all cars, I'll be buying the Hyundai adapter Purplehazeffc and I linked to above.   

@Purplehazeffc - Do the dust caps on your PD have a moisture absorbing pouch built into them? Mine does. I saw a vid where it was suggested to remove the pouch (held in place with a bracket and screws) to free up some depth (maybe 2cm) for the led headlight connection.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:04:11 by Dantrasy »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal