i30 Owners Club

Fan resistor faulty?

webby · 7 · 2713

Offline webby

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Hi I'm newby to the site so forgive me if  go on a bit .  We have a  2011 i30 cw  (cracking car )  and the when ya turn the fan on  No1 setting it's barely running  , but whack it up too No4  and it's on full blast . I am thinking it's the resistor  (I had a mk 1 focus  that did the same  so I changed it a few times  ) pls could I have a second opinion?. And I also I'm not  sure where this resistor is located in the i30 , I've not tinkered with this Motor much  so any help  would be appreciated.
Cheers
  • i30 estate 1.4 ltr

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I would assume resistor too.

I vaguely remember changing one and it was part of the fan assembly. May be coincidence but seems its designed so that the air flow keeps it cool.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi I'm newby to the site so forgive me if  go on a bit .  We have a  2011 i30 cw  (cracking car )  and the when ya turn the fan on  No1 setting it's barely running  , but whack it up too No4  and it's on full blast . I am thinking it's the resistor  (I had a mk 1 focus  that did the same  so I changed it a few times  ) pls could I have a second opinion?. And I also I'm not  sure where this resistor is located in the i30 , I've not tinkered with this Motor much  so any help  would be appreciated.
Cheers
Sounds normal. 1 is barely running and 4 is full blast. Does the fan incrementily step up at 2 & 3?

I don't think I've read of one being bad here yet but if all speeds are present - situation normal

item 97113B

971283K000 for manual A/C which sounds like you have if it has a rotary knob numbered 1 to 4

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I would assume resistor too.

I vaguely remember changing one and it was part of the fan assembly. May be coincidence but seems its designed so that the air flow keeps it cool.
:whistler: oh well. Looks like I'm in a Pickles  :snigger:

@nzenigma
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On my 2012

On 1 it is barely noticable and been like that from day 1.

2, 3 moderate speeds an 4 hurricane force.

I use 1 in winter once windows clear or in summer when at comfortable temp to just keep cabin fresh..

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline webby

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Thanks for the replys  everybody.Its the wife's car so I only drive once a year on the family road trip  as   i have  my own  car .Any way just gone drove it  and had a  tinker  not  running/running engine put the fan on all speeds  and  seems normal  ,so I'll just see what happens.
  • i30 estate 1.4 ltr

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: webby
Hi I'm newby to the site ...

You're hardly that :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal