i30 Owners Club

Battery loss of charge

Offline Cateye20

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      15 Mount Park Road
Hi Everyone
I have a problem with my i30 2017 1.4 model Before Christmas the battery died suddenly. Greenflag came out and replaced the battery with one I got from Halfords. The car was ok for a week then the same thing happened, they came out again  jumped the battery and the checks showed  state of health of the battery was 86% and the state of charge was 37%. It was suggested that the battery due to the start stop facility needed to be calibrated but required Halfords said not for this car and when I took it there said the Battery was good. Likely to be something in the electrics draining the battery.  The car worked for a further week but after 2 days of no use on the driveway completely flat again!! ( no lights left on)

I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this?
  • I30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
From memory it has been reported on here problems re battery and stop start.

If you put stop start in the search you may see posts which apply to your issue.

There are differnces in the battery for stop start and non stop start.

Did you get the correct battery?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Does your alternator work?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
If you don't have a battery charger it might be worth getting one so you can at least get your battery charged up. I have a multi-meter so I have in the past used it to see if there is a drain on the battery when the car is stationary. Set up the meter to measure Amps, disconnect the earth lead to the battery -ve terminal, and put the meter leads between the battery terminal and the earth lead. To lock the car you will have to jam down the microswitch that detects that the bonnet is open, otherwise it could trigger the alarm.

When the car is locked and interior lights have all turned off, I wouldn't expect to see a current drain of more than a few tens of milliamps. I may go out later and check what it is on my car.

A drain current of 50mA would take 8.4Ah out of the battery after 1 week, which is fairly small compared to a typical battery capacity of 60Ah. If the current is 500mA, it will flatten the battery in 5 days.

If the alternator is working ok, it should re-charge the battery after an hour of driving.

I would check if you have a drain first, maybe an interior light that isn't turning off, like in the glove box or the boot.

If the battery was from Halfords double-check the battery is definitely the correct one for your car.
  • i30 CRD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I made a video of checking the battery for any parasitic drain currents, it settles down to about 27mA on average which is miniscule in comparison to the battery capacity.

:link: Checking Hyundai battery drain - YouTube

I made another short video on measuring the alternator output.

:link: Checking alternator voltage on Hyundai i30 - YouTube
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal