N-line review.

Dazzler · 33 · 11616

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
They kind of hint that the Cerato GT is better value, but we've had feedback from a recent N-line buyer who tested them back to back that several things like the Automated cruise and the suspension tune are much better in the i30.

:link: 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line automatic review | CarAdvice
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I am bias, because I still like my SR more :)
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I like your avatar more :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I prefer the SR..    I'm not a fan of the "N" badging on the inside.    But I'm OK with having it called N-Line

I don't mind the look of the N-Line.  But very much prefer the look of the rims on the N-Line over the ones on my SR.
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I prefer the SR..    I'm not a fan of the "N" badging on the inside.    But I'm OK with having it called N-Line

I don't mind the look of the N-Line.  But very much prefer the look of the rims on the N-Line over the ones on my SR.

I definitely wasn't a fan of the SR wheels until I got mine sprayed black. They look so much better. The N-line wheels are nice though. Like I've said elsewhere I do prefer the front of the N-line over the SR but think the rear styling of the back bumper on the N-line was a backwards step. I'm still more than happy with my SR.

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
There was also a review of the N - Line in the Hobart Mercury to if anyone is interested.
He didn't seem that impressed though.

:link:Hyundai i30 N Line reviewed
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There was also a review of the N - Line in the Hobart Mercury to if anyone is interested.
He didn't seem that impressed though.

:link:Hyundai i30 N Line reviewed

Wow, that's  odd. I'm no rally driver, but I've been pushing my SR a bit harder around the corners for the last 10k since I've had the Michelin pilot sport 4s and I can't fault the handling/ride compromise.  Other reviews tend to agree with me more than him. Maybe they  had too much air in tbe tyres. Plus the engine in mine has heaps of grunt in every situation even in normal mode.

Interesting he says the N line has rear cross traffic alert.  A few reviews have said that.  Maybe they relented on dropping it?

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
I did note that he also mentioned the Michelans were noisy  on some road surfaces where I thought you said they were fairly quiet..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I did note that he also mentioned the Michelans were noisy  on some road surfaces where I thought you said they were fairly quiet..

Yes, well picked up. In hindsight that's odd. I guess relative to the Hankooks they are quieter. I wouldn't say they are whisper quiet by any means but they rumble on coarse surfaces more than roar...

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
I don't find the Hankooks on my i30 to be excessively noisy on coarse bitumen, I did think the Michellan (something or others) on my old Corolla were very loud  on the same roads.
Guess it depends on other dynamics of the car how noisy a tyre is perceived to be.
Sorry, we are getting off topic here.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Based on Hyundai web page, N line dont have Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW)

:link: Hyundai i30 Specifications | Hyundai Australia

The normal premium does, but not N Line.

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Based on Hyundai web page, N line dont have Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW)

Also missing is Blind Spot Detection from all N-Lines - this used to be standard on all SRs.
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline Doyourbiz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia

Also missing is Blind Spot Detection from all N-Lines - this used to be standard on all SRs.

Blind Spot Detection was one thing I was bummed out about not getting on the N-line but since I was upgrading from a 13 year old Integra Type S it's not something I had before so can live without.

Apart from that the lack of noise from the back end and the pain of having to constantly explain to people that it's not the i30N are the only downsides for me
  • 2018 i30 N-Line Premium 1.6T Polar White

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So as it stand now, if Hyundai give me an N Line Premium vs SR Premium to choose - i'll go for the SR Prem :)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Funny how they rely on list price......You can get a Nline for under 30k on carsales, the GT best you can do is $31,500.

Also fails to take into account resale, as with Kia you are taking a punt on the brand contuning to ascend the sales/recognition ladder (think Hyundai when the i30 was released).  They may be sought after in years 5-7 when they have the warranty Hyundai does not, but before and after that?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Funny how they rely on list price......You can get a Nline for under 30k on carsales, the GT best you can do is $31,500.

Also fails to take into account resale, as with Kia you are taking a punt on the brand contuning to ascend the sales/recognition ladder (think Hyundai when the i30 was released).  They may be sought after in years 5-7 when they have the warranty Hyundai does not, but before and after that?

Cheers mate that is interesting and you make a good point!

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
It's a shame the Australian N-Lines don't get the same seats as the European N-Lines (ie. the I30N Seats).
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, I  did like the comfort of the N seats when they lent me one...

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
IMO removing safety tech from the N line is a ridiculous move, as it  stands i30 was never cheap and by doing this has removed value in a very competitive market segment.  Just makes Astra RSV so much more appealing.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

IMO removing safety tech from the N line is a ridiculous move, as it  stands i30 was never cheap and by doing this has removed value in a very competitive market segment.  Just makes Astra RSV so much more appealing.

Buyer beware though. I suspect that resale on the Astras will be horrific!  :cool:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There are March 2017 build Astra RS-V vehicles that are still avaliable as new... Along with plenty of 2018 company Demo cars with 5ks thats 5km not 5000km on tham (build Nov 2017 Compliance Jan 19) for around 25k (reckon they would take anything just to be rid of them).

If were careful to avoid the old ones (ie look at the build date and negotate accordingly) you may find they are a decent buy, but I would want to be getting an RSV for much closer to 20k given the risks involved (at some stage Holden will need to clear this stock build up, they can't have all these Commodores/Astras sitting around incuring finance costs if it continues there is a real chance they will go broke....err withdraw from the Australian market. Either way this inventory needs to be reduced and there are only so many Police/hire/business fleets to do deals with (especally if they themselves are struggling to move the used fleet they bought in the last deal they got).

Also with the cars not selling the dealer network will need to be reduced further, so having bought your new Holden, you may find your local dealer has a for lease sign when you go back for service/warranty and you will be going there a bit with the 9 month/15k service schedule.

After all that do your research on Holden standing by it's warranty. From what I read, it isn't a strength, though this may have improved as service departments sit there with less and less work as the last of the fleet Commodores get sold to private ownership, they might fight a bit harder for the warranry work just to get some money through the door.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
There are March 2017 build Astra RS-V vehicles that are still avaliable as new... Along with plenty of 2018 company Demo cars with 5ks thats 5km not 5000km on tham (build Nov 2017 Compliance Jan 19) for around 25k (reckon they would take anything just to be rid of them).

If were careful to avoid the old ones (ie look at the build date and negotate accordingly) you may find they are a decent buy, but I would want to be getting an RSV for much closer to 20k given the risks involved (at some stage Holden will need to clear this stock build up, they can't have all these Commodores/Astras sitting around incuring finance costs if it continues there is a real chance they will go broke....err withdraw from the Australian market. Either way this inventory needs to be reduced and there are only so many Police/hire/business fleets to do deals with (especally if they themselves are struggling to move the used fleet they bought in the last deal they got).

Also with the cars not selling the dealer network will need to be reduced further, so having bought your new Holden, you may find your local dealer has a for lease sign when you go back for service/warranty and you will be going there a bit with the 9 month/15k service schedule.

After all that do your research on Holden standing by it's warranty. From what I read, it isn't a strength, though this may have improved as service departments sit there with less and less work as the last of the fleet Commodores get sold to private ownership, they might fight a bit harder for the warranry work just to get some money through the door.

When I brought my SR last year (1st May 2017)  I was looking at other cars as well..  I actuality wanted a Renault Clio RS Cup.
There were quite a few new (less than 100k's) Holden Astra RSV for 19,990 drive away. I did go for a test drive in one & it drove very well.
But with the issues with Holden & also the way Holden has treated the Australian public & customers. I just couldn't bring myself to buy one..
The car itself is very, very good.   The Clio RS Cup??   Very disappointed with the interior & the gearbox.  If only it was available with a Manual.
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The more I looked for the comment above the more 'Executive Holden driven' cars I saw. They can't have that many staff...

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I just got home to catch the end of today's episode of WhichCar on TV and the i30N topped the lap time and list among a big-name set of competitors. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Jonty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I recently took delivery of a manual i30 N-line in white. Before I took the plunge I tested the gt, n-line, and mazda3 gt (pre-update). Didn't drive the astra. After careful consideration the n-line got my money, though to be fair I wanted manual and wasn't won over by the dct on either gt or n-line. If I had gone dct the gt might well have gotten my money.

Am I happy with my purchase given the short time I've had it...hell yeah. Hard to believe you can get this car on the road for well under 30k. Manual is sweet, compliance spot on (better than gt), solid build, great seats and drivers position, great tyres/grip, nice interior, etc. etc. Still taking it easy as only 10 days in and want to do the right thing for the first 1000km. Bring on the twisties.

• 2019 i30 N-line manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Jonty, Great to hear your feedback. Although the Cerato Gt looks and sounds good on paper, apparently another member who recently  bought a  DCT N-line reckons the Auto Cruise in the GT doesn't work anywhere near as well as that in the i30 (nor the lane keep assist) and I believe the suspension is more jiggly too.. :cool:

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
I recently took delivery of a manual i30 N-line in white.
Welcome @Jonty .. I was going to point you in this direction over on the CarAdvice website however they removed my comment due to linking a website .. good to see you found it anyway! I responded to your comment as MrP.

• 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

With regard to losing BSM on the N-line, I lose it on my mid range  Camry Hybrid that I've ordered, so I'm getting some of these which my mate put on his 2014 Corolla (they work quite well getting rid of any blind spots) No expense spared (I think they are better than the small round ones)

:link: 2pcs Auto Side 360 Wide Angle Convex Mirror Car Vehicle Blind Spot Rearview | eBay

Offline Jonty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks @Dazzler, can't comment on the cruise in the dct's but the ride is definately better (spot on really) with the N-line.
  • 2019 i30 N-line manual

Offline Jonty

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks @mrpayner, appreciate the assist. Happy to be here :D
  • 2019 i30 N-line manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal