i30 Owners Club

2010 i30 FD Crdi Immobilizer problem 2nd time in the month code P1690

saml · 14 · 10819

Offline saml

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Esperance, WA
Hi guys,
Never thought I would have electronic issue with a Hyundai i30. Unfortunately I recently became victim of the i30 immobilizer problem.
After purchasing it from a auto wholeseller 10 months ago and after only 2 months out of warranty! (warranty expire in March and issue starts to happen in May).

1st episode of intermittent starting failure - Feb 2015 (still within warranty period but the car started the next day so I didn't send it for diagnosis)
- Engine cranks but no start when ignition key is turned, car works fine the next day with no drama and works since then until May 2015

2nd episode of intermittent starting failure - May 2015
- Immobilizer light was on(orange light with a key inside the car symbol) before I unlock the car, engine cranks when I turn the key, no start again. Disconnect battery for an hour or so, reconnect and start the car, drove to dealer, car refuse to start at the dealer. Dealer quote $215A for coil antenna replacement. Car works fine for 1 week.

3rd episode of intermittent starting failure - 19 May 2015
- Immobilizer light flashes after putting key in the ignition barrel, turn the key - Engine cranks again but no start. Sent to dealer and was given error code P1690 and a whopping quote equivalent to a price of 2 cat spay of $740A ($620 parts + 120 labour) for Immobilizer module replacement.

Anyone have similar experience and can tell me if you had gone through the same process just to find the car still don't start? I don't mind paying $740 if it fix the problem for once and for all. I don't want to spend the budget for servicing the car on fixing problem that will recur. Should I better off buy a Remote car starter to bypass the immobilizer? (:link: Fortin EVO ALL Immobilizer Bypass Module FOR Remote CAR Starter Ifar Evoall | eBay) I should have thought through it clearly before I consent to proceed with ordering the parts.... Any input is welcomed.
  • 2010 i30 CRDi 1.6 5spd Man

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Dont let them replace the module Unless theyre prepared to pay for it when it doesnt fix the concern.

The antenna coil is a good possibility esspecially with the P1690 code being logged. I would replace that and monitor the concern.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline saml

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Esperance, WA
Tried both keys?

Nothing magnetic on the same keyring?

tried both keys, both didn't work

Offline saml

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Esperance, WA
Dont let them replace the module Unless theyre prepared to pay for it when it doesnt fix the concern.

The antenna coil is a good possibility esspecially with the P1690 code being logged. I would replace that and monitor the concern.

Have the antenna coil just replaced last week. I wish I post this up earlier,  I'm too dumb to agree with module replacement :blubber:, I wonder what are the differential diagnosis and whether replacing the module is just their trial & see approach? Is there anything I should do to protect my consumer right in case the car fail to start again after throwing almost a grand to fix it?

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
So your saying that you have already gone ahead with coil AND module replacment?
I would imagine you'll be clear of your concerns now. There is very little else involved in the immobilizer system.
Money well spent if it rectifies the concern.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think he means he has a new coil, has not paid to have a new module, and still has the problem......

So its a second faulty coil, the control module, the wiring, or both keys failed.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I thought that at first but he continued by saying he'd thrown nearly a grand at the problem.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
That's why I was asking. Could quite understand.

nulda
Problem could be in connector EM11. Connector could be with oxidised because water :-) I had same problem.

Offline saml

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Esperance, WA
Problem could be in connector EM11. Connector could be with oxidised because water :-) I had same problem.

How can I check for oxidation? That'd be the case because I live near the saltiest coastal suburb

I thought that at first but he continued by saying he'd thrown nearly a grand at the problem.
!
Yes, I have just agreed to let them proceed with replacing the module, the car is still at the dealer, hopefully they're not replacing it for nothing!

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Like I said, if it fixes the concern money well spent.
See how things go, trust your dealer, only time will tell.

nulda

How can I check for oxidation? That'd be the case because I live near the saltiest coastal suburb

You will find this connector on passenger side. Check this pages :link: Zapojení ?idla kapaliny v ost?ikova?ích ? HYUNDAI CLUB - FORUM
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 21:38:01 by tw2005 »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal