i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 Update 1809

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers Keith,  that's worth knowing. Strangely when there are a lot of kids are at our house it is not a problem. . I'm not there! LOL
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Not there, don't care. Awesome network policy.  :goodjob2:

May deter them from wanting to visit because the network is better than at home.  :evil:
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not there, don't care. Awesome network policy.  :goodjob2:

May deter them from wanting to visit because the network is better than at home.  :evil:

That's not a bad idea, I might google for network hogging apps I can leave on when I go out!   :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The "speedpack" is simply the shaping applied to your service. I've never seen more than 3.5 Mbps downloads ever. Think of it like the motorway.

@Aussie Keith  a quick please explain, if you will.

Are you referring to ADSL1 speed?

I understand the motorway/waterpipe principle.

The 1.3Mbps I refer to is best rate I can get eg. 5.45am to 9am at the weekend. PC running Win7, plugged in wall, not Wifi.

The traffic in this area has increased since we built here, but if the service cant be improved beyond dial-up speed, I object to iiNet claiming that both ADSL 1&2 are available here and no doubt charging residents for same.

Thanks for your time mate.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
The "speedpack" is simply the shaping applied to your service. I've never seen more than 3.5 Mbps downloads ever. Think of it like the motorway.

@Aussie Keith  a quick please explain, if you will.

Are you referring to ADSL1 speed?

I understand the motorway/waterpipe principle.

The 1.3Mbps I refer to is best rate I can get eg. 5.45am to 9am at the weekend. PC running Win7, plugged in wall, not Wifi.

The traffic in this area has increased since we built here, but if the service cant be improved beyond dial-up speed, I object to iiNet claiming that both ADSL 1&2 are available here and no doubt charging residents for same.

Thanks for your time mate.

No worries. My earlier discussion refers to the NBN without referring to any specific access technology.

Think of it in parts. Access from your house to the backbone, the backbone which is the bit the carrier provides to get you to the transit network which is the bit that takes traffic out of the country, typically submarine cables. And then obviously the network environments and servers at the other end.

There are a number of NBN access technologies now including VSDL which still relies on copper to the node and which is always going to be an inferior choice for reliable service compared to fibre. Copper corrodes, diminishing its effectiveness. There's no avoiding it unfortunately and in Oz where the pits often fill with rainwater submerging the cables, performance can degrade quickly. The old HFC network is being repurposed as well although much of it was found to be unusable owing to poor maintenance. But in its day it was a good thing compared to ADSL.

ADSL is the tech being phased out and being copper has the same sorts of issues. It's also going to have greater congestion issues for a range of reasons. For one these terminate in telephone exchanges and ultimately, your available performance is determined by the distance to the exchange. They have a completely different topology to the NBN.

Getting back to your situation, the speed you get is likely a combination of the condition of your access circuit, distance to the exchange and the capacity of your ISP's network both in total and from time to time. In one case where I had installed a packetshaper onto a network with poorly performing  ADSL to monitor what was occurring I did see significant shaping on the ISP's network. They denied it and I sent them the evidence. They do this to minimise the costs of wholesale purchase of bandwidth.

The articles below are old, but contemporary with your technology.

:link: Chart of ADSL and ADSL2+ Speed Versus Distance | Increase Broadband Speed

:link: Your ISP Is Screwing You: As Your Service Costs Go Up, Their Backbone Costs Go Down ? TechCrunch

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks mate. Appreciate the time you have taken to illuminate at least me.  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks mate. Appreciate the time you have taken to illuminate at least me.  :goodjob2:
iiNet upgraded us from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ at no cost.
Actually a slight drop in download speed.  :crazy1:
And uploads increased dramatically.
For what it's worth.  :crazy2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

No worries. Glad it helped.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal