i30 Owners Club

TC-W3 oils as fuel additive

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you in this forum has a direct experience using marine 2 stroke  ashless oil  (TC-W3)  as a fuel additive.
For the o es that never heard of it. Its Dual use: top engine cleaner/lubricant and mild fuel economy.

Just checking if any of you have tried that.
I can post more info with recommended dosage ( 1:500 - 1: 640).
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Never heard of it, Nulon and Penrite do top engine and fuel additives in Australia.
Using premium fuel and oil does all the cleaning necessary for me  :victory:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
1 : 500,
 2ml per litre,
couldn't really see anything doing much at that ratio.
Improve fuel economy?  :undecided:
Ssve your money  :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
No Nulon here  ( stupid regulations .. like i can drink it.)
Techron cones to me at $30 a bottle ..
Hmf...
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Two stroke oil in the diesel is an old trick. It was mentioned in some manufacturers manuals also... 35 years ago. Did work with old prechamber diesels, but I would not try that with modern engine. Therefore manufacturers forbit doing that.

Basic idea is to lubricate the high pressure pump. For example during winter when the cold temp diesel is a bit dry, to help the pump lubrication. Also in super cold temps you were allowed to add gasoline/petrol to the diesel tank, to get the viscosity lower. Gasoline to lower the viscosity and 2 stroke oil to lubricate the pump, which would have otherwise suffered from the added gas... But you should not use those tricks with modern engines.

There are pump lubrication additives that may be used with modern engines and some manufacturers even recommend those... I do not know how much those have common ingredients with 2-stroke oil, but I would use the additives rather than 2-stroke oil.

And as we are talking about petrol engines, I would not put that stuff in the tank. I can't imagine modern fuel injectors handling 2-stroke oil very well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 20:19:47 by sundiz »
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal