Your Advice would be Appreciated.

AlanHo · 9 · 1568

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
This is a long story told short. This is not a joke and there is no punch line. We genuinely need advice

Craig - one of my wife’s grandsons has a partner Amie whom he met a few years ago and they now live together. Amie already had a son now aged 10 who was born in Australia when she lived there with her parents who had moved to Australia a couple of years earlier. She had an Australian boy friend who dumped her when she told him she was pregnant and he vanished.

After a couple of years her parents decided that they would return to the UK – reasons unknown – and Amie and her son came with them.

After a year or so her parents decided they had made a mistake and went back to Australia together, Amie stayed in the UK. Amie’s dad is a self-employed carpet fitter and he struggled for about 18 months, so they returned again to the UK.  By then, Amie had met Craig and they moved into a rented house together. At the time Craig had struggled to find a decent job but then fell on his feet and got a permanent job with prospects – he remains very happy and reasonably well paid as a storekeeper at a manufacturing company in the Midlands. He lacks formal qualifications but has spent 6 years there initially as a labourer, then stores assistant then storekeeper.

Two years ago Amie and Craig had a lovely little daughter, Craig was now enjoying a stable family life and a good job. In April 2020 Amie was pregnant again and Craig was looking forward to being a dad again. Amie was also happy and for extra money returned to looking after the books for her dad.

2 months ago a bomb dropped.

Amie’s parents put their house up for sale with the intention of returning to Australia. They want Amie, Craig, her dad’s sister, husband, and their three kids to rent a large house together near Sydney. Craig sees it as a bloody commune and he would no longer have his own independent family. He doesn’t have a Visa or a job to go to – but the others don’t have jobs anyway. Her parent’s and Amie's residence Visas expire on 31st December 2020 so time is of the essence. Amie wants to go with them – she has a (soon to expire) residence Visa, her son has an Australian passport, she was previously happy there and is urging Craig to join them. He is torn. He wants Amie and his kids – but doesn’t want to leave the UK and give up a job that offers them a good stable future.  He is understandably worried that her flip-flop parents will return to the UK for the third time, Amie will want to come with them and he will not have a job or a home to return to.

We can’t pry and the above tale includes a few assumptions, but it leaves us speculating about what might happen.  Hopefully you guys in Australia can provide some help.

1.   What are the prospects of Craig getting a residence Visa and a job in Australia. He is the father of Amie’s two latest kids but they are not married.
2.   Will their residence visas allow Amie and her parents to return to Australia before it expires in December. If so, does in actually expire if they return to living there and they then get kicked out or does it have to be renewed.
3.   I’m not all that bothered about the situation – but my wife is getting stressed about the situation – one made worse by the covid problems.

I’m just hoping one of you guys on the forum can shine a light.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow! My 'ed hurtz!

I think you are the only other guy in the world that leads as complicated life as I do. If I haven't seen someone for two weeks it takes me about 45 minutes to update them on what has happened in my life since our last chat even at the moment while I'm housebound and recuperating. :snigger:

Unfortunately, never having owned a passport or undergone any international travel I'm useless at giving any advice in this situation.

I do have a lot of empathy for Craig though (poor bugger)  :crazy1:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I can't answer most of your queries but I have to say, I'm pretty sure we're not letting anyone into the country at the moment.
Unless they ate Australian expats returning home.
I can't imagine anything changing before the December deadline.

I'm sure others will have more information on the legalities of it.
I'm also not sure she can take the joint child (children) out of the country without Craig's permission
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Unless they ate Australian expats
I don't think cannibalism makes a good case for entry. :disapp:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Unless they ate Australian expats
I don't think cannibalism makes a good case for entry. :disapp:

Why not?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
I'm not an expert, but expat Asutralians are struggling to get home these days.
Have heard of many in UK that have had visa's expire as they can't get out of UK.
There is a daily limit on international arrivals & mandatory 14 day hotel quarrantine @ $3000 for 1st adult.

Official Gov Details

Also have heard of travellers needing to pay up to $20K for a ticket "IF" they can find a flight
Can't see this changing much for the next few months.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I'm not an expert, but expat Asutralians are struggling to get home these days.
Have heard of many in UK that have had visa's expire as they can't get out of UK.
There is a daily limit on international arrivals & mandatory 14 day hotel quarrantine @ $3000 for 1st adult.

Official Gov Details

Also have heard of travellers needing to pay up to $20K for a ticket "IF" they can find a flight
Can't see this changing much for the next few months.
@i30premy - thank you very much for that info - it is most useful
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
My wife and I plus two small children emigrated to Australia 51 years ago and we have seen many families with what I call the boomerang effect, they want to go back to England, once there for a while they want to return back to Australia and then the heart strings start pulling and it ends up a never ending circle. Sydney is an expensive place to rent property and the idea of living together, no matter how well they get on at the moment, is a massive gamble.What happens when the novelty wears off and they they decide to go their own way. There is mass unemployment at the moment, and as i30premy has stated it is not just a case of jumping on a plane. From the history of Amies parents they will end up back in England. If I was in Craigs and Amies situation where they sound like they have got things together I would be staying there. I would advise that they contact the Australian Embassy as there are a lot of unanswered questions that only they can answer. It is more than possible that the decision will be out of their hands. All of this Alan is only my opinion, but having been here for so many years I have seen this situation arise many times.Best of luck in a tricky situation.

Some more Visa information for Australians living in UK.
http://uk.embassy.gov.au/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:19:45 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Aussie comedian Ugly Dave Grey recounted in his autobiography about some relative (I think it might have been his Mum) doing the UK to Australia and return thing several times. He blew a lot of money buying and selling homes for her. After several changes of mind he eventually said enough is enough and she had to stay in the UK. I think that was how it ended.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal