i30 Owners Club

Kia Ceed 2010 SW Diesel Rear N/S (left side) Brake Caliper Carrier

nbat58 · 15 · 10227

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
I have been looking for ages now for a Kia Ceed 2010 SW Diesel Rear N/S (left side) Brake Caliper Carrier without success in the UK, the I30 equivalent would fit as well I presume. Currently the garage I took it to for a rear brake shoes replacements have damaged one of the bolts of the left carrier and had to tap a different size to get to fit as they didn't have a bold the same size.

I would appreciate any help and direction where to purchase a replacement.

Thank you.
  • Kia Cee'd 2 ED 1.6 CRDI SW D4FB Silver

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Which part are you talking about? If it's the yoke that the caliper is fixed to, then it has two holes that bolt it to the rear hub carrier casting, and two blind holes that the caliper glide pins fit into. As far as I can remember, there are no tapped holes in it. If the garage damaged a thread, is it the thread in the hub casting, or one of the threads in the end of the glide pin?

If it's in the hub casting, then I'd suggest a breakers yard for a replacement, or get it repaired by having a helicoil thread insert put in so you can use the proper bolt, which is ok unless the garage has mangled the hole so it will no longer take an insert.

If it's the thread in the glide pin that is damaged, then you can just replace the glide pins, there are plenty of after-market kits that are reasonably priced. The two bolts that hold the caliper on just screw into the end of the glide pin, but the pin floats in the yoke so it is free to rotate and slide in and out. It has flats on it so you can grip it with an open ended spanner to stop it turning when undoing the calipers bolts. Once the caliper is out of the way, the pins just slide out. Replacement glide pin kits usually come with new caliper bolts.

If the garage damaged your car through carelessness, isn't it their responsibility to fix it?
  • i30 CRD

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Which part are you talking about? If it's the yoke that the caliper is fixed to, then it has two holes that bolt it to the rear hub carrier casting, and two blind holes that the caliper glide pins fit into. As far as I can remember, there are no tapped holes in it. If the garage damaged a thread, is it the thread in the hub casting, or one of the threads in the end of the glide pin?

If it's in the hub casting, then I'd suggest a breakers yard for a replacement, or get it repaired by having a helicoil thread insert put in so you can use the proper bolt, which is ok unless the garage has mangled the hole so it will no longer take an insert.

If it's the thread in the glide pin that is damaged, then you can just replace the glide pins, there are plenty of after-market kits that are reasonably priced. The two bolts that hold the caliper on just screw into the end of the glide pin, but the pin floats in the yoke so it is free to rotate and slide in and out. It has flats on it so you can grip it with an open ended spanner to stop it turning when undoing the calipers bolts. Once the caliper is out of the way, the pins just slide out. Replacement glide pin kits usually come with new caliper bolts.

If the garage damaged your car through carelessness, isn't it their responsibility to fix it?

I will have to take the wheel of and have a look, the only thing they said to me was "get a new caliper holder" handing me the damaged bolt and we'll replace it for you, I won't be going back there anytime soon.

If it's the threads in the slidder pins that are damaged it will be easier as I was planning on changing the pins as they are pretty rusty and don't slide very well.

I am not using my car at the moment as it is making a bumping noise when using the brakes as if one of the the disc is warped, I had changed the rear brake pads a few months ago, all front discs and pads are new.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
If they gave you the damaged bolt, the one that holds the yoke on are pretty big, probably about M12 and something like 30mm long. The ones that hold the caliper to the glide pins are only about M8 and about 20mm long. As I said before, there aren't any threaded holes in the yoke to bugger up. I can only think that if they stripped the thread in the hub casting that the yoke is bolted to, then they may have drilled and tapped it to a larger thread, fitted a bigger bolt and enlarged the hole in the yoke. To put that right would mean getting a replacement yoke and hub casting. I still think the garage should be sourcing the right parts and fitting them for free.
  • i30 CRD

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
I have this morning replaced all the rear slider pins and bolts, it was not the slidder pins, you are right I can see the shining bolt that they have replaced and it is the one going into the hub casting through the yoke, I still have the bolt they took off and it's 35mm long M10 if I am not mistaken.

I am not sure whether I can go back there now it has been been about three months ago and the bolt look as rusty as hell, so I am not sure whether they could have removed it without damagingh it.

Will I need just a hub casting or do I need the yoke as well? is this costly?

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
:link: REAR AXLE | Ceed Ceed Passenger | Kia | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

This is a link to partsouq website page for 2010 Ceed rear axle assembly. The part you're talking about is shown as assembly 52750A Carrier assy, rear axle  LH. Not sure if that's exactly the one for your car but you can enter the chassis number to find your actual car. I believe the H527101H500 is the Hyundai/Kia part number. A lot of people also refer to it as a steering knuckle.

If the thread is damaged, then the best solution short of finding a replacement assembly is to drill out the hole and re-tap to a larger thread, or fit a helicoil insert. Either way, you'd probably have to remove the part from the car which means a fair amout of disassembly. I don't think you'd have to replace the yoke unless the bolt hole has been drilled out. If an over-size bolt has been fitted and the hole in the yoke is a snug fit, I think it would be OK. If the thread is heli-coiled back to the original size, the hole in the yoke might then be too big, then you may need a new yoke as well. Note that bolts like that may have a fine metric thread.

If the bolt is from the lower of the two holes, it sits behind where a suspension arm is fitted and is hard to get to. I can get it out with an offset ring spanner, but there's no chance of getting a socket in there without moving the suspension arm out of the way. If a bolt with a larger head is fitted, it may be more difficult to undo it if you can't get a spanner in there.

Once you have the proper part number you should find it easier to find a replacement.
  • i30 CRD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Forget what I said earlier!!

Looking at photos of these parts on eBay, it is the yoke that the bolts screw into. The bolts pass through the hub carrier from the back, and screw into the yoke. This makes life easier because the yoke is fairly easy to take off and have repaired. You may even find a second hand caliper being sold complete with the yoke. I would get new bolts, then see if you can get the damaged thread heli-coiled. Looking at that parts site, the rear caliper assembly 582101H300 includes the yoke, it doesn't appear to be available on it's own.

If you can find one at a breakers, it should be ok as long as it's threaded holes aren't chewed up, and the holes that the glide pins fit into aren't corroded inside.
  • i30 CRD

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Thank you for all your heklp Brendan, so looking at this ended listing the part I need is the one with ED marking on it called caliper carrier?

:link: Hyundai i30 MK1 2007-2012 FD 1.6 CRDi N/S Rear Brake Caliper and Carrier | eBay

Really weird, doing a search on the 582101H300 only bring up the caliper without the carrier, I can't seem to find the carrier on it's own or with the caliper except used on Ebay.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 16:17:44 by nbat58 »

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Yes, that is the yoke bit, or caliper carrier. Can't be absolutely certain of compatibility for your actual car, I'm just assuming it's exactly the same as the Hyundai part. I believe the genuine part comes with the caliper and yoke. Occasionally I've seen genuine Hyundai rear calipers on eBay and you get the complete assembly. After-market and reconditioned calipers are usually the caliper body only, after all, the yoke is just a bit of cast steel, there's nothing to go wrong with it, right? Hence there will be virtually no demand for a part like that. Don't forget replacement bolts. I'm checking the rear brakes on my 2015 i30 today, I think the bolt is the same size, I can confirm the diameter and thread pitch if you want to try and source a bolt yourself rather than getting them from the dealer. You never know, they may only be a couple of quid.
  • i30 CRD

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Thank you, really appreciate it.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
FYI, the bolt on my 2015 i30 is 26mm long, of which 16mm is threaded M10 x 1.25, which is fine pitch. The bolt head is 14mm A/F and made from 10.9 grade high tensile steel. The head is smaller than a regular M10 bolt, so it could be an oddball size that only a dealer could supply.
  • i30 CRD

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
Brilliant, thank you, I will try and find the same exact bolt, otherwise I'll have to go to the dealer, I have 10.9 graded bolts elsewhere in the car, like the bolt holding the belt tensioner had the same markings.

I am going to get a second hand caliper with carrier from Ebay second hand as I can't find a new one anywhere.

Thank you for all your help.

Edit: I have found a bolt but instead of being 14mm head, these are 17mm head will this make a difference an extra 3 mm to the head?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 19:17:22 by nbat58 »

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
The only bolts I can find are fully threaded 25mm long with 17mm head, another question is your bolt fitted with a washer?

I called the Kia dealer today and they don't sell the Caliper carerier by itself, it come with the caliper as a whole assembly at a price of £369.00 + vat.

I bought a second hand caliper with carrier last night from Ebay for £35.00.

The dealer sent me a PDF as he's not sure which bolt I need, I can fathom that either from the PDF, the bolts cost £15.99 + vat each, I wonder if I can use the below instead.

:link: M10 x 1.25 x 25 FINE PITCH FULLY THREADED HEX BOLT 10.9 HIGH TENSILE GRADE PLANE | eBay

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby

Offline nbat58

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Derby
After a few back and forth E-mails with the dealer I have (hopefully) managed to identify the bolt and washer from their second PDF they've sent, so I have ordered 2 bolts and two washers.

The bolt part is 51711 and the washer 1360CF, bolt £1.02 EA + Vat and the washers £0.74 EA +Vat.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal