i30 Owners Club

Swap left / right door lock cylinders possible?

Emerix · 9 · 2201

Offline Emerix

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
Hi all!
I bought my i30 (FD from 2008) 2 years ago and they handed me 2 pairs of keys - 1 pair for the passenger door and the ignition - the second pair for the driver's door.
Now I would prefer not having 2 car keys with me all the time. I was wondering if it is possible to swap the lock cylinders from the driver's door and the passenger door.

Does anyone have any idea whether this is possible or not? Unfortunately I could not find anything about this online, nor any replacement lock cylinders.

Thanks in advance!
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Gas 1.4lt, Manual, Champagne Silver

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all!
I bought my i30 (FD from 2008) 2 years ago and they handed me 2 pairs of keys - 1 pair for the passenger door and the ignition - the second pair for the driver's door.
Now I would prefer not having 2 car keys with me all the time. I was wondering if it is possible to swap the lock cylinders from the driver's door and the passenger door.

Does anyone have any idea whether this is possible or not? Unfortunately I could not find anything about this online, nor any replacement lock cylinders.

Thanks in advance!

Different part numbers would suggest you can't .

I wonder if a locksmith could swap the tumblers or recode the drivers side to match original key code?

Does this model have remote central locking?

819802LB00

819702LB00
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Emerix

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
Thanks a lot tw! May I ask how you found those part numbers? I didn't find anything on google.

Unfortunately it only has central locking but not remote locking - but I'm going to try putting a remote lock in once I get the parts. I guess that would also solve the problem.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
suggest you have parts from two different cars.
 Our  FDs only have a driver side door lock. Passenger side has no lock. ALL Keys fit both door and ignition.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline Emerix

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
 Our  FDs only have a driver side door lock. Passenger side has no lock. ALL Keys fit both door and ignition.
I guess the previous owner got the replacement driver lock cylinder from a scrapyard yes.
I just called my car dealer's service and they told me that it's most likely not possible. Guess I really have to install the remote - or replace all the locks.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I guess the previous owner got the replacement driver lock cylinder from a scrapyard yes.
I just called my car dealer's service and they told me that it's most likely not possible. Guess I really have to install the remote - or replace all the locks.
I'd be talking to a locksmith first.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Emerix

Replied on the fly last night.

I think you have a British drivers side door that now acts as your passenger door. I presume a lock in each door on German i30s is unusual, cant quite remember.

Re thinks; We only want to swap or clone the key cylinder not the whole lock. The cylinder accepts the key and operates a small lever. The body of the lock remains only left or right.  The cylinder is the same left or right.      Get a locksmith to recut or swap parts to suit.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 21:55:48 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@Emerix

Replied on the fly last night.

I think you have a British drivers side door that now acts as your passenger door. I presume a lock in each door on German i30s is unusual, cant quite remember.

Re thinks; We only want to swap or clone the key cylinder not the whole lock. The cylinder accepts the key and operates a small lever. The body of the lock remains only left or right.  The cylinder is the same left or right.      Get a locksmith to recut or swap parts to suit.

Shooting from the hip ? :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal