i30 Owners Club

I30 Drivers door handle service campaign

meirion · 13 · 8742

Offline meirion

• 1st Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Hi All I know this has a sticky link to it but why can't Hyundai be consistent with their service campaign details. The door handle cable on our I30 2010 model broke this weekend, so after doing some research on this site thanks found that there was a service campaign out for this very fault. Great I thought I will book the car in for this and the other recalls that I found are needed for the car. I rang Hyundai info line to find what recalls were outstanding and after the call assistant tried to find the details was told that there was only a heavy steering repair needed? I then rang my local Hyundai dealer who was much more clued up and informed me that the power steering torque sensor, brake pipes and headlight wiring needed doing but nothing about the door cable. I asked if there was anything in the system about the door cable and was told no, so booked the car in for the other work. I then rang parts for a price on a new cable and as other threads was told I cannot buy the cable, as it comes with the lock for a heart stopping price of £178. So my question is why does this cable come under a service campaign for other cars of the same age and spec but not ours, I think Hyundai system needs updating so all models of the same age and spec are included, what's going on. I will ring tomorrow with the cable part number from your threads and see if I can get it, otherwise of to the scrap man or make a cable from a bike brake cable as I refuse to pay £178 for a cable.
  • I30 CDRI 5 Door Hatch Edition (2010)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi meirion,

Fortunately not a common fault, but an expensive one if not fixed under warranty. As you no doubt found in threads on here, some have had to pay and a select few have negotiated a free fix.

It has unfortunately been the same with several other expensive issues. I think Hyundai are slowly getting better after some pressure from owners, but it's a shame many dealers only help if you squeal loudly.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
One of our members discovered that you can buy the cable separately and he did the job himself.

Did you find this thread ?

:link: HOW TO: replace door cable (drivers door will not open from inside)
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I could be wrong, probably am actually, but I wonder if it could also be what info the service centre is looking at... or where they are looking...

It strikes me that the three you list that they are doing - are all safety related issues (which they seem to try to contact you for to arrange service - if they know about you) Edit: which could effect control while in motion... basically stuff that if Hyundai hadn't done something themselves the govt. might have forced them.

Where as the door cable one - by reports seems to be 'fix it when it happens' issue... maybe they get different definitions because that.   As already noted in an earlier reply - some people have got it fixed free, others not -  maybe that was due to warranty coverage but it could just as easily indicate the information isn't as well known as it should be.   Maybe ring up other service centers and enquire re: door handle cable service fix.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:10:25 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline petetherev

• 1st Gear
Hello, My wife has got rid of her i30 and as such I do not look at the form very often.  I have just received an e mail from someone with the same problem and it prompted me to look at the forum and found this posting.   I had a go at Hyundai a while ago and I was told quite clearly that the door cable was available as a spare, this was after  I managed to get one from a dealer. I had a (nice) moan at at the store man.  However I got the impression that he should not have sold it to me. With regard the recall/TSB on the I 30 being safety issues my considered opinion is the inability to open a car door is a safety related issue.
Have a go at Hyundai Customer Support as I did unfortunately I no longer have the name of the person I spoke to.
Best of lick.
Regards
Pete
  • 2009 i30 1.4 Petrol, 5 Door Hatch, Red

Offline meirion

• 1st Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Just an update on the cable, I rang my local dealers today with the cable part number 81371 2R000QQH from another thread on here, and too my surprise i can order the part for the sum of £7.75 but you cannot return if it is wrong, who cares much better than £178 and i will make it fit, the job is planned for this weekend. I am really disappointed with the rip off that Hyundai think is acceptable to only tell Joe public that you can only buy the cable and lock together. If you are not confident with all thing mechanical and have to get this fitted by a garage, your bill could be getting on to £300 which is no short change all for just £7 cable, how can they sleep at night. Thanks for all your replies i will update on if this fits.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds promising, look forward to update..  :Good_luck:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Just an update on the cable, I rang my local dealers today with the cable part number 81371 2R000QQH from another thread on here, and too my surprise i can order the part for the sum of £7.75 but you cannot return if it is wrong, who cares much better than £178 and i will make it fit, the job is planned for this weekend. I am really disappointed with the rip off that Hyundai think is acceptable to only tell Joe public that you can only buy the cable and lock together. If you are not confident with all thing mechanical and have to get this fitted by a garage, your bill could be getting on to £300 which is no short change all for just £7 cable, how can they sleep at night. Thanks for all your replies i will update on if this fits.
Hey Meirion, that is good news. I hope the install goes well.

Maybe also ask Hyundai to get you some of the plastic plugs used to keep the door card attached to the metal of the door as an incase - they can get quite fragile especially with age and the last thing you want is to rush off to Hyundai at the last minute with a door half-apart looking for the clips :mrgreen:

A reputable auto store should stock them as well

My FD i30 has these ones, but yours may differ:

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline meirion

• 1st Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
hi Wabbit16 thanks for that will get some when i get the cable.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
With regard the recall/TSB on the I 30 being safety issues my considered opinion is the inability to open a car door is a safety related issue.

I agree!!  Didn't mean to imply it wasn't (though I sought of did) - probably could have put it better (and will edit slightly)... I was thinking along the lines of safety issues effecting the car while in motion/being driven.   Which as safety issues go would probably be considered more critical - as driver, their passengers, people in other vehicles and pedestrians could be injured - to not being able to open a door... which, in theory (but often not practice), isn't going to injure anyone as the car will be stopped at the time.

Of course that totally over looks things such as minor impact in multi-car smash on motorway that ends up blocking it or having to stop just behind one (where exiting car quickly can be very good); stuck in the path of something such as a train; needing to exit due to other external reasons - such as earthquake(s) bringing debris down (as happened in my home town - though generally it is safer to remain where you are if in something and debris is falling but it is a judgement call).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:14:33 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline meirion

• 1st Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Good news the cable is fitted and working great. Iv'e attached a picture to the cable part ID for others to buy a not get ripped off by Hyundai. The job takes about 2hrs and is a bit fiddly, I wouldn't recommend attempting the job if you are not confident with your skills, I am a qualified engineer so didn't find it too difficult. To give you a quick job run down you have to remove the door card, window glass, inside door metal panel, outside door lock, lock mechanism then remove the cable from the lock, Fit new cable and repeat all in reverse. There is a video on link posted above which helps (thanks) but my car is slightly different. Found three problem while going the job. First couldn't see how to get the door key lock out until i spotted the plastic bung in the side of the door which allows access to a bolt holding the lock in, see pic below. Second removing the old cable clip, this required drilling out the two clips holding the cable into the lock. Thirdly found I couldn't get at the eye that the ball on the end if the cable located into as this was inside the lock mech case. To get at this you need the activate the lock catch with a screw diver, then pull the old cable and this will allow the eye to be pulled out pass the lock case to remove the old cable, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LET THE EYE CATCH SPRING BACK INSIDE THE CASE. Hope this helps.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great news and excellent post meirion... :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal