i30 Owners Club

Battery replacement

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi all

So...the OEM battery in my 2013 diesel, according my battery load tester, will need to be replaced soon. I have been doing some searching and have shortlisted 3 batteries that can be acquired locally. One is a Century Hi Performance 660CCA, then there's a SuperCharge Gold Plus 750CCA, or a Varta E44 780CCA. Prices are $209.25 (normally $279) for the Century, $219.00 (normally $259) for the SuperCharge and $319.00 for the Varta.

The OEM Varta currently in the car has done pretty well to last 8 years so I would be inclined to replace it with another Varta but that's $100 more than the Century and SuperCharge and there's no guarantee it will perform the same as the OEM battery has. Searching online forums I got the usual Century is really good no no no it's is crap, SuperCharge is really good no no no it's crap etc.

So I'm putting it out onto this forum, which would people choose, why, why not, opinions, experiences etc etc.

Thanks in advance!
  • GD Wagon CRDi 6M/T. Previously 1985 N12 Nissan Pulsar GX, 1963 Holden EJ Special

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's been my observation over the years that battery complaints are generally (note that word) related more to a poor choice of product that poor product.
 Firstly a lot of battery replacements happen without prior planning such as yours.
ie. The car is immobilised so it's a case of whatever is available at the time or who the nearest supplier is.

Then there are the ones who go on price alone.
Neither option is going to give a fair assessment of a battery brand's capabilities.

You've done good research.

As long as the CCA is equal to or higher than your current battery it should be fine.

I've never had a problem with Century. Or Supercharge for that matter.
I guess my 2009 i30 had a Varta. It lasted 6 or 7 years.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Likewise the OEM battery in my 2009 lasted 7 years and would probably have gone a lot longer if not for 15 months of storage while we were overseas. I just went with a 'same or better' CCA rating of 680 in a Yuasa from Battery World and it's still going strong after 5.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Likewise the OEM battery in my 2009 lasted 7 years and would probably have gone a lot longer if not for 15 months of storage while we were overseas. I just went with a 'same or better' CCA rating of 680 in a Yuasa from Battery World and it's still going strong after 5.
Yep.
Yuasa is a part of Century iirc.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline slick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'd pay extra for a Varta or Delkor only because they've lasted twice as long as the batteries they've replaced (OEM or NRMA).
I think I paid around $270-$280 for Delkor end of last year (from Battery World) and bought Varta for my previous car and the battery was still going after 7 years.

The biggest disappointment for me has been both OEM i30 batteries have only managed -2-3 years. Both of my i30s are diesel and I know they have to work a little harder than petrol but I don't do 5min trips to the shops usually and I don't start the car 10 times per day every single day.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi Active Hatch (GD) + 2015 i30 CRDi Elite Tourer (GD)

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
I have always used Century for batteries over the last 30 years or so and never had a problem, always good value for money as long as you get the right battery (CCA and terminal type/layout) for the car. All the issues i have seen usually relate to trying to adapt to the wrong diameter terminals or insufficient CCA.

But for me value for money makes the difference, i dont want to scrimp and buy cheap and risk quality, but i also don't want to pay through the nose for top brands that make no difference. Century is well respected here and easily available so that helps.
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal