i30 Owners Club

2011 CW centre console removal (for aux port)

Offline Scooby_Doo

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a 2011 CW (FD I think), and my Aux port has stopped working (sound only comes from one speaker).

I want to get it out, to see if a lump of solder will sort it.

However, I'm having difficulty getting the centre console around the gearstick off.

I can unclip the gaitor round the gearstick and get that out of the road, but I can't seem to unclip the centre console. I can see two white clips, but not how to get them off.

Anyone been through this? Any adivce for getting it off? I have the GDS repair manual, but can't see anything detailed on it.

• 2011 FD 5 Door Estate, Diesel 1.6lt, White

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm assuming the port is in the gear surround, ours hides inside the armrest bin.  It should just unclip but requires a bit of force. Hardest bit is getting something in there and not marking it when prying it up. If you have the gaitor out then you should be able to pull it up eve if just enough to get a plastic tool in there to pry

I start with a corner closest to the seat,
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 21:49:54 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Scooby_Doo

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I finally got this sorted.

For anyone else attempting it:

You need to feel round the gear gaitor for the clips, and pull the gaitor up and over the gear stick.

If you look down into the centre, you will see two white plastic clips either side of the gearstick - reach under and push each clip out away from the gear stick and lift at the same time. A pair of gloves may help here. I did one side at a time, once the clip is pushed out, the console lifts out.

To disconnect the aux port, some had said the connector was really tight. I used a pair of mole grips (don't grip too tight!) to press the button in and pulled the connector out no problem. You will then need a flat blade screwdriver to prise the casing out of the centre console.

Once you have all of that out, a dab of solder on each side of the aux port (tw2005, I think you have posted a pic of this previously), and reverse the instructions to get it all back in.

I now have a working aux port, so I can use my bluetooth receiver and Android Auto!!  :victory:

Thanks for the advice.
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Estate, Diesel 1.6lt, White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good to hear. Thanks for the update.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal