i30 Owners Club

Rear crossmember Damper-Assy Dynamic (broken)

xiziz · 9 · 2943

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
So I've been having some weird intermittent noises for some time I'm trying to track down, sounds kind of like air a bit of plastic is loose and flapping in the air current. I have been through brakes and tires so I was under the car checking suspension parts (MOT is coming up).

I just happened to feel this part and noticed that the steel metal block (53010 in the diagram) is loose. Its heavy! so it must be solid steel. It was once fitted to the U shaped part with a rubber seal, but the U part has rusted and it has come loose. Now its in my closet waiting for repair/verdict from you guys, I'm off work a few days now so won't be driving until next Thursday hopefully.

Now my questions are, what is this part called?
What does it do?
Can I give it a good wirebrush clean, epoxy the block stuck again and then paint it to prevent it rusting again. Or is it better to try and source a brand new part?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:02:34 by xiziz »
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Isn't it solid rubber? I'm fairly sure the one on mine is, I thought it was a dampener.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Isn't it solid rubber? I'm fairly sure the one on mine is, I thought it was a dampener.
:whsaid:  I do remember at least one thread I identified this before, possible similar situation of it corroding. I would have thought it a damper to remove resonance.

Where did you get the image breakdown from? If you found that you should have found the number and description too unless it's just a web image you found.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
55499-A6000

Damper-Assy Dynamic

:link: Any ideas what this is?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I've never touched one but it does appear to have rust marks, so could be a weight bonded to that bracket. Just thinking I've seen dynamic dampers attached to engine mounts and they've been essentially a weight attached.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
That bend in the bracket suggests it's been used as a jacking point too which may have contributed to it separating in time.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
@CraigB Nah, it weighs 750g, the bracket adds 150g. They are separated so might aswell weigh them separately. :)
Its also rusty.

@tw2005 Yeah, I remember that thread! I was looking for it but couldn't find it so I thought I must have just dreamed of it. I have been using it as a jacking point, perfect location and it seemed solid enough(then put jack stands under the suspension/wishbone whatever its called in english ofc). So I'd agree that's probably contributing to it breaking.

Picture was just one I found of rear crossmembers on google and it showed the part so I grabbed it.

I will try to straighten it out and rebond it and see if it stays put.

Thanks for all the information!

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@CraigB Nah, it weighs 750g, the bracket adds 150g. They are separated so might aswell weigh them separately. :)
Its also rusty.

@tw2005 Yeah, I remember that thread! I was looking for it but couldn't find it so I thought I must have just dreamed of it. I have been using it as a jacking point, perfect location and it seemed solid enough(then put jack stands under the suspension/wishbone whatever its called in english ofc). So I'd agree that's probably contributing to it breaking.

Picture was just one I found of rear crossmembers on google and it showed the part so I grabbed it.

I will try to straighten it out and rebond it and see if it stays put.

Thanks for all the information!
Maybe put a block of wood under it in future for jacking to take the hit and spread the load across the whole surface. Not sure what you'd use to rebond it, maybe a polyurethane adhesive/sealant like sikaflex if the surfaces are clean may work :whistler:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Yeah, something like that. Or duct tape should hold it long enough. ;)

Been using one of those rubber jack pads, not sure if a block of wood is better or worse. Might just have to start jacking one side at a time like the fronts.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal