i30 Owners Club

Fuel for 1.6lt petrol turbo?

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6 "Blue"
Just wondering experience, thoughts, opinions (hopefully informed!) about fuel for the PD's 1.6lt turbo petrol. (I understand standard unleaded is fine in them?)

When I had my i45, as I was handing over $300 or so to my mechanic for cleaning the injectors, he suggested I use premium unleaded (95RON) instead of standard 91RON, even though the car is rated for 91. A couple of months later it blew a piston, hence I'm buying an i30... so don't know if fuel was the culprit or just unlucky.

Anyway, what do you run in your car? Does it make any difference?
  • 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt turbo DCT, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Using higher 95ron fuel wouldn't have caused a piston to crap out, if the car isn't tuned for it you'll see very little if no difference at all though the fuel system will be cleaner which is inline with your mechanics suggestion to use 95, personally I run 98 though I've had timing advances done to benefit from it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Lots of discussions on here. I have recently decided to go from E10 to 91 (only 1c cheaper for E10 in Tassie) just in view of how many negative comments I've heard about E10. Personally I'm not prepared to pay the 17 Cpl extra they charge down here for 98.  :undecided:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I have used 95 from the day I have had the car..

I used to use only 95 in my last car, which I had for 6 years. Never had a problem with it, Even with almost 340,000 k's on it.

I always fill up on the cheaper day on the fuel cycle. Makes it a little bit cheaper. And with how much fuel the car uses. Doesn't add up that much more
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I used to use only 95 in my last car, which I had for 6 years. Never had a problem with it, Even with almost 340,000 k's on it.

I always fill up on the cheaper day on the fuel cycle. Makes it a little bit cheaper. And with how much fuel the car uses. Doesn't add up that much more

I do nearly 30K a year and we don't tend to have cheaper days down here. It just stays near the higher end of the scale. At even 15 cpl difference it would make nearly $340 per year difference to my fuel bills!

I'm am lucky enough that I could afford the extra, but I can think of heaps of things I would rather spend that money on.

I seldom keep my cars past the warranty period.  :cool:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
it would make nearly $340 per year

That is nearly 7 hrs worth of full body massage :)
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

it would make nearly $340 per year

That is nearly 7 hrs worth of full body massage :)

You've got a cheap lady too! One of mine is $50 per hour, the other 2 are $60 per hour... My massages are like 50 first dates!  :snigger: I have a couple of others I use from time to time.  :cool:

I like the way you equate money to massages. I thought I was the only one to do that!  :victory:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

I do nearly 30K a year and we don't tend to have cheaper days down here. It just stays near the higher end of the scale. At even 15 cpl difference it would make nearly $340 per year difference to my fuel bills!

I'm am lucky enough that I could afford the extra, but I can think of heaps of things I would rather spend that money on.

Yeah that makes sense if the price don't change much..   Here in WA it goes from being the cheapest day, currently on Monday's. Then on Tuesday's is around 20c ltr dearer..

Iv'e had my car 5 months next week.  And by then I would have done 10,000ks.    So that's around 24,000ks  for a year..
But Iv'e been putting in 95 for so long now, I'm just used to grabbing that pump now..
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah that makes sense if the price don't change much..   Here in WA it goes from being the cheapest day, currently on Monday's. Then on Tuesday's is around 20c ltr dearer..

Iv'e had my car 5 months next week.  And by then I would have done 10,000ks.    So that's around 24,000ks  for a year..
But Iv'e been putting in 95 for so long now, I'm just used to grabbing that pump now..

Horses for courses. I was brought up by a Mum and Stepdad who ran around switching off lights and shopping for specials all the time. Their estate meant I could semi retire at 50 and fully retire at 57, so I have continued with some of the penny pinching ways.  :crazy1:

I tend to save the pennies and spend the pounds.  :evil:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal