i30 Owners Club

Lets get fuel economy into perspective

tweety · 11 · 3585

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Ok, I'm biased. I love my i30 crdi and any wonder.

Back in the late 1970's I had a workmate that drove from Frankston daily to Coburg. He got his HQ Holden 202 manual converted to LPG. I was tempted but didn't do it. A couple of years went by and just before I left that job we had a chat about his car.

He'd saved twice as much as it cost for the conversion in 2 years. It got me thinking.

Years later I live din Yea Victoria and purchased a VW Golf diesel. Pity that car didn't come with a 5th gear. And it wasn't turboed. It was loud so anything over 90kph you had to wear ear muffs. But it did get 50mpg (5.6 L/100km). I was driving from Yea to Ivanhoe in Melbournes inner northern eastern suburbs about 100 minutes of many bends in the hills over the great dividing range. Had plenty of time to think and I can recall realising that the money saved by not running a 4 cylinder petrol car meant I could afford to take my family for a counter meal every night them days.

The Golf years ended when we "T" boned a car in Broadford. I had dreams of a vintage car so started collecting MK3 Ford Zephyrs. I converted one to LPG. Not quite as economical as the Golf but still quite good at an equivalent cost equal to 45mpg. It has a 6 cylinder 2500cc engine.

In 2001 I purchased a brand new ford AU series 2 utility dedicated LPG. We also bought a similar LPG sedan. The ute would achieve 13 L/100km and the sedan 11L/100km @ sometimes one third the price of petrol. The difference in the two cars was- the size of the wheels, 13" for the ute, 14" for the sedan. I made 485,000km in the ute before I sold it. The only worry was the front discs that warped often and a good new battery every two years.

Enter the i30. When I went to by it I asked the salesman if I could just sit in the car and him to leave me alone. He agreed and for 30 minutes I sat there fiddling with everything to see it I could live in it. "Live in it"? Well from central Victoria I'd service areas as far as Griffith, Canberra, buxton, Ballarat etc. Plus I'd sit in my car all day being a PI. It had to be comfortable. Other things that concerned me were seat strength. The Ford seat would bend under my weight and often I'd need to bend it back!. When I test drove it my concern was noise at 100kph. Yes, it was quiet and very quiet when all windows up.

I knew the economy was going to be good but not that good! Without towing it has never got less than 48mpg. I've achieved 56mpg a few times. With 50mpg the norm cruising on highways at 110kph and eating hills easily what impact did this economy mean?

Well the year I made 80,000km. @ 5.6 L/100km = 4480 litres @ $1.40 per litre = $6272.
Comparison to a 2 litre engine i30 using 8L/100km = 6400 litres @ $1.30 per litre = $8320

With the $2500 cost of choosing a diesel I had almost made up for that cost in the first year.

We'd added another car to our fleet so kms dropped yearly after that but at 304,000km total now the numbers are-

304,000km @5.6 L/100km= 17,000 litres @ $1.30/litre (average over 8 years) = $22,131

comparison to 2 litre petrol  304,000km @ 8 L/100km= 24320 litres  @ $1.30/litre (average) = $31,616

Savings = $9485

So where is the perspective? Apart from the diesel likely lasting a lot longer it terms of engine wear, lets look at the $9485 over 8 years. That's say $1200 a year or $100 a month.

If you took out a home loan For $100,000 over a 30 year period and instead of making only the repayments you added $100 a month to it, you'd save $40,000 interest. You'd shorten the life of the loan from 30 years to 23. If you did this by owning a CRDI and travelled 15,000km a year at the end of that 23 year term you would have travelled 340,000kms, paid off your home and still many kms left in your car.

What does all this mean?  If your marriage fails be the clever one....give the convertible to your wife as part settlement and keep the CRDI.   :happydance:
  • i30 crdi

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Great read.

I'm sure our very own resident Snoopdog can relate to the hours or surveillance.

BTW. My 1968 Renault 10 regularly recorded 50mpg on the highway. And I didn't wait around.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Great read.

I'm sure our very own resident Snoopdog can relate to the hours or surveillance.

That I can.    :mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Did the job for 18 years.

The stories we could tell eh Doggie.  But then....we might have to eliminate them if we do lol
  • i30 crdi

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Did the job for 18 years.

The stories we could tell eh Doggie.  But then....we might have to eliminate them if we do lol

Absolutely.
Funny stories, sad stories, happy stories, good days, bad days and then the unbelievable.  :)
And that was only in the first week! 
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Agoodpost: :happydance: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Is petrol cheaper there than diesel?

Here it is opposite (today diesel 1.10€/l and petrol 1.33€/l). Problem between diesel and petrol in here is the diesel tax. Us diesel car owners have to pay "extra" tax, which is determined by the total weight of the car. The heavier the car, the bigger tax you pay. For me (i30 cw manual 1.6crdi 66kw) the tax is 400€/year. So basicly diesel owners have to drive a lot before the diesel would be more economical option.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great post Tweety. As others know, I had a diesel i30 in 2008 then a 2010 and 2012 hybrid  Camry. I love my Calais, but miss the economy of the previous 3 cars....

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
In the first 4 years of owning our CRDI petrol was cheaper than diesel. Then it levelled and now diesel is cheaper.

And it depends on what part of Australia you are refuelling. Lots of variables but it is roughly what you save. Other factors like petrol cars- spark plugs, etc offset by filters for the diesel etc have been taken as equal.
  • i30 crdi

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
Nice post with a lot of research done. I have an I30 CRDI now eight years old so I suppose the fuel saving I have made might make up for the low resale value compared to a Toyota or Mazda. I can't complain because I love driving it with a lot more torque than most of the small petrol cars I work on.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice post with a lot of research done. I have an I30 CRDI now eight years old so I suppose the fuel saving I have made might make up for the low resale value compared to a Toyota or Mazda. I can't complain because I love driving it with a lot more torque than most of the small petrol cars I work on.
I'm surprised at your relative low resale value comment. After 8 years, no small car is worth much. I would have thought the i30 diesel would hold its own....

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal