i30 Owners Club

Removing tail light lense

Offline I30lamb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

• 2008 hyundai i30 FD 1.6crdi
Has anyone successfully removed the rear tail light lense? If i can work out how to seperate them i can start my custom lighting all round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2008 hyundai i30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
the whole assembly comes out. open the hatch, Carefully open the twogrey flaps, self tapper under each. the the whole assembly also has two metal pins that lock into plastic guides located in the body. Can take a bit of a pull to get them free.

The rest should be self explanatory

Could this information be in the owners manual?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:43:26 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline I30lamb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I mean the seperate the red lense from the grey housing, like how people paint the headlights

• 2008 hyundai i30 crdi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll have to break the glued seal to do that, I've never done it myself but read about issues after people have done it where the seal is never restored to factory state and the lights end up with moisture issues.
Companies like Shark Racing sell professionally modified versions though they're not cheap :link: 07-10 i30 Angel Eye Headlights - Shark Racing

Offline I30lamb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Yeah i can do front and rear custom led for under $100 just need to learn how to seperate the rear tail light housing

• 2008 hyundai i30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
In that case , good luck with that. I thought you meant remove the lens to get to the globes, but the lens is bonded by heat it appears the the body.

Looking at the wagon version , there's a number of extra self tappers but I suspect that holds the reflector assembly in place, not going to assist in lens removal.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The way the separation is performed is to bake the light in an oven, not something I'd experiment with :scared:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The way the separation is performed is to bake the light in an oven, not something I'd experiment with :scared:

Mr Shrinky?   I guess if you can get a set cheap enough set second hand and make it a science project.

Out of my Sphere. :faint:

Appears to be some info out here on heating lights and pulling them apart on the web

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal