i30 Owners Club

Black and Silver theme

CraigB · 35 · 8106

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Another member @jayb last night gave me the inspiration to get off my arse bright and early this morning and finish these paint mods, as mentioned in one of my older threads I'd painted the front grill black, unfortunately the chip resistant paint I used started chipping and flaking away almost immediately :head_knock:

Second attempt today in my efforts to remove the chrome highlights with what I should have used in the first place, Plasti Dip :) cant believe how easily this stuff applies and cleans up even easier.

As I had plenty of paint left I decided to give the emblem and badge several coats which I think looks shmick :D then I decided to hit the licensing department up for some matching plates :happydance:

Offline jayb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Carlingford, NSW
Nice! The badges looks awesome!
That'll be my next task :)

Thanks for sharing the photos.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 Premium Diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Very cool - a bit batmobile in that! :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Interesting - but the reg plates would be illegal in the UK

can you spray the paint or do have to do what it says on the tin and dip it?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Interesting - but the reg plates would be illegal in the UK

can you spray the paint or do have to do what it says on the tin and dip it?
@AlanHo  why would they be illegal :undecided:

Yes it's a spray can jobby and very simple to do too, mask off around the badge or whatever you're painting and after 4 or 5 coats let dry and the centre bits just peel away leaving the new badge :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 13:36:42 by CraigB »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In the UK reg plates have to have a highly reflective background - white at the front and orange at the rear - with black lettering and numerals.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
In the UK reg plates have to have a highly reflective background - white at the front and orange at the rear - with black lettering and numerals.
You'd be surprised, even the black background is reflective on these :goodjob2: here's the list of our designs http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/plateswa.asp

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Correct Alan but vehicles registered before 1972 can have the plates black background with silver lettering back and front. Registration plates now are coming from the dealers without the euro mark on the plates. As we will soon be out of it. So back to the GB sticker or the chrome stick on GB letters. Only the posh cars had them on. Also go artificial. Looks good when laid in rows the same as it has just been cut.
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Craig, As you know, I like my chrome, but that looks great and with your black wheels and stuff it will look like a "stealth mobile" :goodjob:

Lucky me will get to check it out in the next few days "in the flesh" :D

Iam going to investigate getting my DAZ001 plates redone in black and red or something if not too expensive.  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Over here our Police have this wonderful thing on just about all of their cars - it's called a number plate reader.  Instantly notifies if unregistered,  reported stolen, if owner is a person of interest,  etc.
Our colour and design options have expanded with its introduction.
Sounds like this plastidip is a handy product   :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Craig, As you know, I like my chrome, but that looks great and with your black wheels and stuff it will look like a "stealth mobile" :goodjob:

Iam going to investigate getting my DAZ001 plates redone in black and red or something if not too expensive.  :happydance:

Just paint the background red - a person around the corner from us used a red permanent marker,  but it's fading and looks tacky now. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just paint the background red - a person around the corner from us used a red permanent marker,  but it's fading and looks tacky now.
Not sure that would be legal? A local friend suggested I paint them, but not sure I can buy reflective paint in a spray can? I could spray the whole number plate black or platidip it then I have a contact who is a retired signwriter who could do the letters /numbers red neater than I could. :idea:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Not sure that would be legal? A local friend suggested I paint them, but not sure I can buy reflective paint in a spray can? I could spray the whole number plate black or platidip it then I have a contact who is a retired signwriter who could do the letters /numbers red neater than I could. :idea:

Got you thinking outside the square now 👍

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes Mick. The cops are generally pretty good here. If it's clearly readable don't think I'll have too many problems.  I can always play dumb. I'm good at that! New car dear.. what new car?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I'd check.
Definitely illegal to alter a number plate in WA and I would be very surprised if that is not the case in every Australian state and territory.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I just asked a friend of mine in PolAir and he also said it wouldn't be legal to alter plates anywhere in the country.

@Dazzler If you were going to change plates I'd probably stick with a black white theme so they'll suite your car upgrades in the future :)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I believe our great federation of unfederated states includes SA, which is quite generous in how you can present your plates, including custom built, hand painted, etc.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I believe our great federation of unfederated states includes SA, which is quite generous in how you can present your plates, including custom built, hand painted, etc.
Not what it say's here :link: sa.gov.au - Number plates

Displaying number plates

Only number plates issued by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure, and made by the approved manufacturer comply with the requirements of the Motor Vehicles Act.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :confused:

Well, it's either changed recently or it isn't policed. :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
:confused:

Well, it's either changed recently or it isn't policed. :lol:
Likely the police fail to notice or just don't care, SA seem to be quite relaxed on many things...not sure if they still do but they used to allow big Weiand Blowers sticking out of bonnets at one stage too.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interestingly I saw a really dodgy handmade plate on the back of a car in Tassie just the other day. I appreciate the feedback guys. I do think if I made them look the same as one of the options on the Tas Plates website I would probably get away with it. If I used plastidip and vinyl lettering I could peel it off if I got in trouble/ swapped my car...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:38:49 by Dazzler »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Interestingly I saw a really dodgy handmade plate on the back of a car in Tassie just the other day. I appreciate the feedback guys. I do think if I made them look the same as one of the options on the Tas Plates website I would probably get away with it. If I used plastidip and vinyl lettering I could pleal it off if I got in trouble/ swapped my car...
I reckon imitating one of the approved formats will see you through without a problem. Just don't quote me in a court of law. :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Interestingly I saw a really dodgy handmade plate on the back of a car in Tassie just the other day. I appreciate the feedback guys. I do think if I made them look the same as one of the options on the Tas Plates website I would probably get away with it. If I used plastidip and vinyl lettering I could pleal it off if I got in trouble/ swapped my car...
I reckon imitating one of the approved formats will see you through without a problem. Just don't quote me in a court of law. :lol:

Screenshot taken.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hopefully this works haven't posted from imgur via my tablet before. Can get my existing plates modified /replaced for about half the original cost.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hopefully this works
If by that you mean you click on it to see it, yes. Plenty of variety there. You'll be fine doctoring something up.  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hopefully this works
If by that you mean you click on it to see it, yes. Plenty of variety there. You'll be fine doctoring something up.  :D
Yeah, why pay $145, when I can probably do it for $20

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah, why pay $145, when I can probably do it for $20
Be more than that, one can of Plasti dip alone is $30 :)

Have to stop at Autobarn to return an unused can tomorrow Dazz so you can check out the colours and their metalized range which is reflective.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 14:55:48 by CraigB »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
metalized rage which is reflective.
...AND aggressive! :P

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal